Trad's 74 CB550

Trad

"UPDATE: Jan 3rd, 2016

I finished fabricating this rear "Multi-brace"

The crank case is currently with Mark but he's in the midst of a few other projects so I'm just waiting my turn. Once that is back from him it's time to assemble the top end and go.

While the lower end is in Mark's care, I'm going to start on the wiring harness."

Multi Brace 4 by Jared Chilko, on Flickr

Multi Brace 6 by Jared Chilko, on Flickr

Multi Brace 1 by Jared Chilko, on Flickr

I’ve been into vintage bikes all my life. Having a father with a CB750 and growing up riding a CB125, CB400/4 and an RD 350, it’s always been around. After owning, riding, and doing some resto-mod work on this CB550 over the past few years I’ve decided I'm doing an all-out, build that's simple, refined and stripped down. It will be heavily modified but it will still be easily distinguishable as a CB550. Incorporating surviving patina but contrasting it with a lot of new, custom and NOS parts. I hope you enjoy the photos and progress. THIS WILL BE A SLOW BUILD AS IT ISN’T MY DAILY MOTORCYCLE.

Here is the game plan.

Exterior:
-Strip, shave and repaint frame
-NOS 1974 CB550 gas tank in “Freedom Green Metallic” with NOS petcock, cap, and latch
-Custom alloy café seat from Benjies with genuine leather upholstery from Blue Collar Textiles
-Woodcraft Clip-ons
-Moto GP Werks stainless 4 Into 1 exhaust
-Shaved, filled, and powder coated triple clamp
-OE style steel headlight bucket, stripped to bare metal and zinc plated
-Bobbed, stripped, and zinc plated CB500 front fender
-Shortened and filled headlight ears from Kott Motorcycles
-Cognito Moto plate and tail light bracket

Engine:
-JE 60mm Pistons (572cc)
-Rebuilt, ported and Serdi cut cylinder head by Mike (Mrieck). Original valves, guides, NOS seals, KPMI valve springs, port matched intake manifolds
-All NOS rocker arms and Webcam 358a camshaft
-Full carb rebuild by Harisluv (110 mains, 40 slows, needle clip in the 4th position from top)
-A mix of Verah and NOS Honda seals and gaskets
-NOS Honda cam chain tensioner
-NOS Honda cam chain
-Cylinder and head both minimally decked for true surface
-Fully rebuilt bottom end with NOS Honda primary chain
-NOS throttle cable
-Minus 3" clutch cable from Motion Pro
-Andrews Motorsport tappet cover
-Press fit tach plug

Braking, Handling & Suspension:
-Hagon 310mm road shocks
-Rebuilt CB500 forks with Franks tubes, NOS hardware, and Progressive springs
-Bronze bushings in swingarm
-Rebuilt brake caliper with recondition piston, braided brake line, and 14mm bored master cylinder
-Reconditions and dilled brake rotor from True Disk
-All Ballz tapered headset bearings
-All Ballz sealed wheel bearings
-NOS rear brake cam and slotted drum brakes
-Avon Distanzia tires
-Rebuilt wheels with NOS rims and spokes.

Electrical:
-Custom harness using MotoGadget M-Unit
-All LED lighting throughout, including headlight and MotoGadget M-pin indicaters
-Modern Rick's Reg/Rec Combo
-Starter delete and plug (Kick Only)
-All connections soldered and using Vintage Connections bullet connectors and clips
-Motoscope mini tack/speedo
-Antigravity 4 cell battery
-Cognito Moto electronics tray
-Dyna S Ignition with black 5 OHM coils and Dyna wires

14xpb0o.jpg

2rxjfj4.jpg

bgemfa.jpg

35hfina.jpg

2uzxlzm.jpg

fyo9z4.jpg

2qsrt52.jpg

2s0ycr6.jpg

20prcqw.jpg

22dlbk.jpg

Rocker Box Far by tradart101, on Flickr

RockerBox CLose by tradart101, on Flickr

NOS Rockers by tradart101, on Flickr

Fender Whole by tradart101, on Flickr

Fender brace by tradart101, on Flickr

Headlight 2 by tradart101, on Flickr

Headlight 2 bytradart101, on Flickr

Headlight 3 by tradart101, on Flickr

244dutt.jpg

72a7vc.jpg

2ajthfs.jpg

3143rxd.jpg

2uyr6n6.jpg

UPDATE June 4th/2015

I pulled the bottom end and got the headlight bucked installed with the shortened fork ears from Kott. I decided to run the ears inside out essentially so you can see more of the fork tube. I really like how it sucks the headlight bucket into the triple clamp.

CB550 Kott Headlight Ears by Jared Chilko, on Flickr

CB550 Cockpit by Jared Chilko, on Flickr

Re: Trad's CB550K Cafe: PATINA & PRISTINE

coyote13 said:
Hell of an intro sir, welcome!

PS.... DAT PIPE :eek:

Thank you man! The pipe didn't arrive like that, took a bunch of elbow grease. haha. I can't wait to see how this beast sounds.

Ryan Stecken said:
Nice one!could you post pics of your rd350 :)?

Thanks! That was a bike I had in my early late teens and early 20's. She's long gone I'm afraid. It was bone stock and in the blue. That was a wheelie machine. haha. I wish I still had it.

I'm onboard. I've got a long term 550 project too. Mine is stalled for now but I like what you are doing with yours.

I forgot to post these photos. I got the intake manifolds on with new Honda clamps. Since the photo I broke one of the obsolete metal tangs on the slide adjuster screws. It happened while I was bench syncing the carbs. :-[ :-[ :-[ That part is not available on it's own so Harisuluv is being a good guy and sending me one FOC. Still need to finish the bench sync ones that gets here.

74 Carbs 2 by tradart101, on Flickr

74 Carbs 1 by tradart101, on Flickr

canyoncarver said:
I'm onboard. I've got a long term 550 project too. Mine is stalled for now but I like what you are doing with yours.

Thanks! Do you have a build thread on here? Care to post the link?

If anyone is interested, this is the bike I finished a few weeks back. Not as in-depth as this build. It's my new runner/daily. 1978 CB550K.

CB550 Dark by tradart101, on Flickr

550F 1 by tradart101, on Flickr

Here's a video of first start up since the carb rebuild and 650 cam was dropped in.

https://vimeo.com/124681381

I pulled the bottom end and got the headlight bucked installed with the shortened fork ears from Kott. I decided to run the ears inside out essentially so you can see more of the fork tube. I really like how it sucks the headlight bucket into the triple clamp.

CB550 Kott Headlight Ears by Jared Chilko, on Flickr

CB550 Cockpit by Jared Chilko, on Flickr

canyoncarver said:
Looking really good.

Thanks man! I need to rebuild the bottom end now. Not psyched, there is Primary chain wear, such a bummer. I have NOS Primary and cam chains to install though.

I finished designing and fabricating the rear bolt-on "Multi-Brace". I made it by hand out of 6 pieces of 1/4" stainless steel. Just cut, clamped, mig welded, ground, and drilled/threaded. This piece supports the rear end and replaces the higher, factory brace which I cut out of the frame. It also mounts the tail light below and the M-unit above (under the rear seat cowl). Lastly, the brace will hold the small Motogadget turn signals just below the fame tube. So many functions for one piece.

I'm going to look around at prices for powder coating around here to have the Multi-Brace, seat mounting pieces, and motor mounts done.

These shocks are going on the 78 and I picked up a pair of Ikon shocks that will be going on this bike. The tail light to the tire is 3.25" with the 13" Progressives. The Ikon's are 12.5" long and total compressed length brings them down to 10.2". This means I'll still have over 2.4" of travel before the tire would hit the taillight.

The crank case is currently with Mark but he's in the midst of a few other projects so I'm just waiting my turn. Once that is back from him it's time to assemble the top end and go.

While the lower end is in Mark's care, I'm going to start on the wiring harness.

Multi Brace 1 by Jared Chilko, on Flickr

Multi Brace 2 by Jared Chilko, on Flickr

Multi Brace 4 by Jared Chilko, on Flickr

Multi Brace 3 by Jared Chilko, on Flickr

Multi Brace 5 by Jared Chilko, on Flickr

Multi Brace 6 by Jared Chilko, on Flickr

Well, it was 4:37am and I was uploading photos; For some reason I couldn't fall asleep. I had a couple of front wheels sitting in my apartment that I trued up yesterday at work. Boredom got the best of me and I ended up installing the speedometer drive blanking spacer I bought few weeks back. It's subtle but that's one more thing simplified on this bike. Damn, thats a lot of raw metal on this wheel.

Wheels Raw by Jared Chilko, on Flickr

Godffery Speedometer blank by Jared Chilko, on Flickr

Rotor Side by Jared Chilko, on Flickr

Oh, and I got another Kijiji score and picked up this polished up 78 terd for 300 bucks! Cold compression was about 135psi across the board and the tank is clean and dent free. Happy Camper. Not sure what the plan is for this one yet.

Project 3 by Jared Chilko, on Flickr

It's been a long while since an updated. So the crankcase being shipped to Mark Paris to check over the gears and install the factory Honda cam and primary chains. while in transit the oil filter housing must have been whacked pretty damn hard. The case is toast. We decided to use the internals from the damaged crank case and source new empty cases. Another fellow member came through and stripped a decent shape 1974 and sold me just the empty cases.

Here's the damage.

j5xgzb.jpg

Also decided to test fit the moto-g signal lights and see how bright they were, along with the tail light.

m-pin turn test 1 by Jared Chilko, on Flickr

m-pin turn test 2 by Jared Chilko, on Flickr

tail test 1 by Jared Chilko, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom