Zoöid Third Times a Charm CB175

Teazer we want to build a sloper so we can have longer intake runners...pretty sure that would help things on the torque side. Also want to go down in header size next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I can see from Mr. Google, those carbs come with a #15 pilot jet, 130 mains, #454 Q-0 needle jets and 5N13 needles. That seems more like 2 stroke jetting - very rich at the top.

#15 is a pretty small pilot and that's probably because the flat slide creates a stronger signal than old round slides. You could try opening up the air screws a touch just to see if it helps the off-idle. They are available in 12.5 and 10 sizes if that helps any.

#454 appear to come in a very narrow range of sizes, so let's leave those for the moment. http://www.nichecycle.com/ncs/categories/carburetor/mikuni-parts-by-category/jettting-tuning/needle-jets/784-21005-454-series-needle-jet-by-mikuni.html

I have no dimensions for a 5N13 but it has a really wide taper angle so it will get rich quick. If you measure the needle dimensions I'll see what might work better.
That's root diameter and diameter every 5mm from the top ( don't start at the tip), overall length and where the taper starts (distance from the top).

teazer said:
From what I can see from Mr. Google, those carbs come with a #15 pilot jet, 130 mains, #454 Q-0 needle jets and 5N13 needles. That seems more like 2 stroke jetting - very rich at the top.

#15 is a pretty small pilot and that's probably because the flat slide creates a stronger signal than old round slides. You could try opening up the air screws a touch just to see if it helps the off-idle. They are available in 12.5 and 10 sizes if that helps any.

#454 appear to come in a very narrow range of sizes, so let's leave those for the moment. http://www.nichecycle.com/ncs/categories/carburetor/mikuni-parts-by-category/jettting-tuning/needle-jets/784-21005-454-series-needle-jet-by-mikuni.html

I have no dimensions for a 5N13 but it has a really wide taper angle so it will get rich quick. If you measure the needle dimensions I'll see what might work better.
That's root diameter and diameter every 5mm from the top ( don't start at the tip), overall length and where the taper starts (distance from the top).
I guess I shouldn't by carbs on sale from Treatland however this acts like a two stroke...very similar to my Bultaco when it comes on the pipe. I made a mistake the left carb was set 4 down and the previous video and the right carb was set two down. Setting both 4 down. Did you watch that latest video?

Here are the needle measurements for the 5n13 mikuni Tm 24
a13de4b3952277d9cf12d8896443dcb2.jpg

That is one crazy rich short needle. According to my notes, that is one of the richest available. Sticking with one that the taper starts in a similar place, I would start with a 5F3 if you can find a pair. They have less of a taper and the 50mm diameter is 1.863mm.

If they still stumble as it comes on the needle, the next idea would be to use one on which the taper starts later and if it's too long, machine the tip shorter.

Time for some dyno time to do part throttle runs and see what is going on.

teazer said:
That is one crazy rich short needle. According to my notes, that is one of the richest available. Sticking with one that the taper starts in a similar place, I would start with a 5F3 if you can find a pair. They have less of a taper and the 50mm diameter is 1.863mm.

If they still stumble as it comes on the needle, the next idea would be to use one on which the taper starts later and if it's too long, machine the tip shorter.

No stumble...Well the mid range is awesome now but we are way too rich on the upper end. Going to drop down to 115 mains. Oh can't wait to dial this puppy in! Nice and streetable but it bogs around 8k...Yep need to go to Dyno! The little kids face is priceless. Took Zoöid for a ride around town! Sonreir's 3 phase charging system is amazing. Road with the lights on and came home with a full tiny battery! https://youtu.be/nDtfvHPqQRs

teazer said:

Dropped by Bill's place said to tell you howdy! He is putting on Mikuni flatsides also...

Bill's good people. Saw him at 131 at the weekend. Stayed mellow even when the bike ate itself. Will be interesting to hear his thoughts on the TMs compared to Lectrons.

teazer said:
Bill's good people. Saw him at 131 at the weekend. Stayed mellow even when the bike ate itself. Will be interesting to hear his thoughts on the TMs compared to Lectrons.
Well the TM's are a pound lighter each! Lol.

Put the 115's in and it is snappier haven't done a WOT yet and we fixed the oil leak. We are about to head out to Barber in a few days. Zeke wants to know if you are going to make it to Barber? If not we may need to stow away in Bills trailer to watch you and the Mrs. Drag Race. Bill says your wife is quite amazing off the line.

Lights including tail light https://youtu.be/wvqE8M3m-m0

Sonreir said:
Looking good.

Staying charged OK? ;D
Fantastic!!! Left the battery hooked up for two days! Wired lights etc. still 13.2 volts! Going to do a little riding if it stops raining.

So impressed with this Sonreir...none of the other charging systems would keep the small Speed Cell charged. I will be buying these in the future for every vintage bike we restore!

Awesome.

I've taken some of the experience we gained from your install and my own and have tweaked a few things for version two. Next stator will be a little bit smaller in OD so as to not be such a tight squeeze and we're trying to reroute some of the wires so they're not sitting on top of the mating surfaces.

We might be looking at getting some custom molded seals, too.

Sonreir said:
Awesome.

I've taken some of the experience we gained from your install and my own and have tweaked a few things for version two. Next stator will be a little bit smaller in OD so as to not be such a tight squeeze and we're trying to reroute some of the wires so they're not sitting on top of the mating surfaces.

We might be looking at getting some custom molded seals, too.
Question for you. Why does the three phase drop .5 a volt when turned on when not running? It doesn't look like a typical power draw but looks regulated until it is started?

Texasstar said:
Question for you. Why does the three phase drop .5 a volt when turned on when not running? It doesn't look like a typical power draw but looks regulated until it is started?

Sorry... not sure I follow? You're saying the voltage across the battery terminals is .5 higher with the bike turned off, then drops .5 when the bike is turned on?

Sonreir said:
Sorry... not sure I follow? You're saying the voltage across the battery terminals is .5 higher with the bike turned off, then drops .5 when the bike is turned on?
Yes

Probably normal voltage drop from the coils and headlight (the smaller the battery, the most likely you are to see this effect). I wouldn't worry about it so long as the voltage of the bike when it's running is higher than the voltage when the bike is on and not running.

Back
Top Bottom