Hondazuki XLRM250 Trans-America Hell Ride

Re: XL250 Trans-America Hell Ride

Alright, here we go again...

7393c5f5b807c0080938dc6c92618f17.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ride height looks good now.

You need an Winham bend for bars, too high.

RC bends are nice. That's what the 7fitty has on it.

Ha. Then you went and edited your response.

deviant said:
RC bends are nice. That's what the 7fitty has on it.

Ha. Then you went and edited your response.

Yeah RC is high... it's K-Dubs that are mid flat rise. I like RC's also for woods, more room to duck hah!

You can find protaper bars cheap and they are great street bars... cut to your fitment. the clamps are available cheap if you look also.

deviant said:
Alright, here we go again...

7393c5f5b807c0080938dc6c92618f17.jpg

Great adjustment. What's the wheelbase at there? Tuck her chin just a little bit and you'll already be swingin for the fences on this one

xb33bsa said:
back to geometry 30 degrees wont be worth a shit there are reasons weight bias is one
you have longer suspension so when the fork angle is lazy you end up with not enough weight on the front wheel
and compounding this is the heavier lump of an engine sitting too far back in the old school frame
also you need to make sure when forks are bottomed out that the front tire doesn't crash into the header pipe or frame, you may find it has lots of room :-X but this is very bad,so converesely you want it to be as close as you can possibly get it to be in order to have a good front back weight bias
im telling you now you have been warned if you want razor sharp handling,that doesnt throw you down and break your coller bones, you will do as i have promoted 27 28 MAX degrees bub then of course in the end you may need to adjust the triple offset for ideal trail but 30 degrees is stupid it is a lazy number for KLR 650 riders they want a bike that is nice and stable on the freeway

Even lower power four stroke lumps tend to be mounted further forward in frame than a two stroke motor.
The footrests are also mounted further forward because the better drive (from every other firing impulse) plus higher torque at lower rpm tends to 'lift' the front end easier without revving and clutching as you would on a two stroke. You may find you need a slight front end bias to weight distribution (or just learn to ride it - it will bite you eventually no matter what you do ;)

Starting to work on seat and tank design. This is very early in the process, so change is imminent. The goal is something very Honda, but suited to this bike. I hope for a capacity in the range of 5 gallons.

This backbone seems conducive to a CB360, 350 or 500 tank. A 500t fits, but has too much girth at the rider...

daf53c3879cc133b5b1d6984eab589db.jpg

3c7a1f5d31ab7b66118686c12bff5863.jpg

canyoncarver said:
Will you be leaving the Suzuki logo on the swingarm?
I doubt it. Although, I'm not averse to having all the brand names still on their parts. That 7fitty has a rear caliper with a Kawasaki logo on it still. I think there will be nothing but a logo I create on this bike.

Adapt the neck to match RM...

1d96bcd8597d10fa7240c78209633207.jpg

The top and bottom race need to be perfectly parrallel, perpendicularly. A jig is highly recommended. I suppose installing the steering stem and top triple with tapered bearings would suffice, but it's not how I'd do it.

XL250 Trans-America Hell Ride

Nice and square. I'm not really good at welding around round things in one run, so I do four tacks across from each other, then 2 inch welds around...

b11e8f4aeaeafe86d0e9b0d882cd0e4f.jpg

deviant said:
Nice and square. I'm not really good at welding around round things in one run, so I do four tacks across from each other, then 2 inch welds around...
I do that on tube as well for the same reason but imo thats the best way anyway so it doesnt pull it out of square as you weld it. It looks good, and strong. Nice work as usual.

deviant said:

b11e8f4aeaeafe86d0e9b0d882cd0e4f.jpg

it looks great from hear
good luck with that, i hope it is but .003+" out of sqare at seat diameter will be felt upon first assembly
.....needs to share same axial centerline with similar trolerances if it indded is straight im flat impressed
it should turn with even resistence ,completely assembled top yoke and stanchions ,
lock to lock even when overtourqued at the ring nut and top yoke fixing bolt/washer
pass me some fried mash taters and mustard ummmmhmmmm

I'm not sure if you noticed the pic up there, but I machined the RM piece to press in just like a race. So if a race can be .003 off then I suppose this could be too. Somehow I doubt that.

Back
Top Bottom