www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Hondazuki XLRM250 Trans-America Hell Ride  (Read 38449 times)

Offline DohcBikes

• Fuck You.
Re: XL250 Trans-America Hell Ride
« Reply #50 on: Mar 03, 2016, 20:54:41 »
It has.  The swingarm angle is at 21°, which is the same or pretty damn close to a stock RM as far as I can figure.  If someone has a resource for that information, I'm interested.  I know XB says the setup is all wrong, but the numbers are pretty damn close everywhere.   

Fork angle 30°/ Rake 5.5in / Wheelbase 62.3" / Ground clearance 14.3" / Swingarm angle 21°

For a dual sport, I don't understand how those numbers won't work.
Fair enough. Throw a chain on it and take a look at it? I'm judging by what I see, not what I read. I wouldn't know the optimal arm angle if you asked me, but I can kinda tell by looking at a bike whether or not it's going to be acceptable. It looks a little extreme from here. Bike looks tall, but that is fine, and the front end looks to be a good starting point if nothing else. The height, and even the swingarm angle, may be deceiving in the pic. I know you have a methodical approach to building so i'm not concerned with whether or not you'll build it right because if it doesn't work you'll just change it.
burning bridges sometimes light the most productive paths

Offline Tune-A-Fishİ

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • BOTM LOSER Proudly Deplorable
« Reply #51 on: Mar 03, 2016, 20:55:13 »
It has.  The swingarm angle is at 21°, which is the same or pretty damn close to a stock RM as far as I can figure.  If someone has a resource for that information, I'm interested.  I know XB says the setup is all wrong, but the numbers are pretty damn close everywhere.   

Fork angle 30°/ Rake Trail 5.5in / Wheelbase 62.3" / Ground clearance 14.3" / Swingarm angle 21°

For a dual sport, I don't understand how those numbers won't work.
"I didn't come here and I ain't leavin"  Willie Nelson

"love hard, live fast, die fun" Kacey Musgraves

"Like a Wreckin Ball!" Eric Church

Offline cxman

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #52 on: Mar 04, 2016, 09:07:48 »
the chain will mill that corner off the swing arm and even out its own clearance
1978 CX650 Super Deluxe
1979 XS1100 Special
1974 xl350
1983 cx650 Custom
1973 cb750
1980 cb750
1981 cb650
1982 cb900 c
1974 kawasaki 350 bighorn
1983 GL1100 aspy full dress
1983 GL1100 Nekid
and a bunch of others

Offline cxman

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #54 on: Mar 04, 2016, 09:15:07 »
sure looks like it will my little

straight line photo thingy makes it look like that to i know you will fix it

or you may have a lot of sag planned into it

1978 CX650 Super Deluxe
1979 XS1100 Special
1974 xl350
1983 cx650 Custom
1973 cb750
1980 cb750
1981 cb650
1982 cb900 c
1974 kawasaki 350 bighorn
1983 GL1100 aspy full dress
1983 GL1100 Nekid
and a bunch of others

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #55 on: Mar 04, 2016, 09:23:17 »
sure looks like it will my little

straight line photo thingy makes it look like that to i know you will fix it

or you may have a lot of sag planned into it
When I get everything built for this bike, I'll get sag figured out.  But your little straight line photo thingy has no idea where the front sprocket is.  I haven't shown a pic for that side yet.  My real life straight edge thingy and a chain knows exactly where it is and has it figured out.  Also, look at a picture of an RM standing on it's own weight, no rider.  It doesn't matter which one.  There are hundreds.  Show me one where the chain isn't resting on the swing arm pivot.

Offline DohcBikes

• Fuck You.
« Reply #56 on: Mar 04, 2016, 09:37:37 »
That photo shows a less severe swingarm angle. It's fine for the chain to rest on the swingarm slider, but at some point you need so much slack for the chain to have enough play when the sprockets are as far apart as they can get in the suspension cycle, that you will end up needing a tensioner. In my opinion having to add a tensioner to a setup that shouldn't need one is a fail.

And again, as you mentioned, we can't even see the cs sprocket. If you say it's fine then it's fine.

Offline DohcBikes

• Fuck You.
« Reply #57 on: Mar 04, 2016, 09:43:38 »
And dennnnnn...

The bike you pictured above is a motocross bike. Since you have mentioned 'dual sport' several times, I thought that's what you wanted. Stretching the limits of rideheight and swingarm angle is not conducive to a well mannered dual-sport.

I'm in, whatever the outcome.

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #58 on: Mar 04, 2016, 09:57:57 »

Stretching the limits of rideheight and swingarm angle is not conducive to a well mannered dual-sport.

Ha. I totally agree with this. 

Next shop session, the plan is to move the top mount up 2 inches.  I did measurement for three locations, this being one of them.   

Measuring the angle for that bike on the computer screen, it looks to be about 18°.  I'm definitely steep.  No tensioners will go on this bike.  It's not a hardtail. 

Offline Tune-A-Fishİ

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • BOTM LOSER Proudly Deplorable
« Reply #59 on: Mar 04, 2016, 10:37:35 »
If you look closely in the last pic you will seee that it has not one but two rollers' static mounted to the frame, one upper and one back and lower.

You don't need to add a tensioner because the thing has two auto tensioners... As the swingarm travels those "tensioners" come in contact (bind) with the chain to prevent too much slack and ALSO to keep the chain "slap" from damaging anything.

Most after market spring loaded tensioners were designed for Trials, not long travel suspension.

I didn't know you were racing Daytona next week  :o
"I didn't come here and I ain't leavin"  Willie Nelson

"love hard, live fast, die fun" Kacey Musgraves

"Like a Wreckin Ball!" Eric Church