Drilling Speed Holes in Chain Guard

2_DONE_THE_TON

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
hey guys!

so i have this wonderful self built stainless steel chain guard on my KZ 400 prject,now i want to drill some big speed holes in it.
i had good luck drilling my rotors with my slow speed drill press and oil,how would you guys go about drilling these big holes?
pre drill and then go up to the size i need?

thanks in advance!

Attachments

• speedholes.jpg
    speedholes.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 301
Pilot hole and then a hole saw of the right size, cutting oil, and lots of patience. I did a similar thing to my guard.

I found a piece of wood that would just barely slide inside the guard and used that to keep it from warping as I cut into it with the hole saw that was mounted to a drill press.

OK2mQcG.jpg

They must be high speed steel. Cheap regular carbon steel like for door lock sets will drill one hole in steel and then be ruined. Most all you see now a days are high speed steel though. Be sure to make whatever fixture you need high quality ( wood is a good choice like Krafty suggests) and be super careful. Very easy for the hole saw to cut all the way through in just part of the circle and violently grab the part. Easy to get injured and/or damage your part or the cutter (or both). A good way to do this is to drill all the pilot holes first with the pilot bit size, then turn the pilot drill bit upside down in the hole saw so you have a smooth shaft as pilot for the saw. That way the pilot drill bit does not chew up the pilot hole as it tries to cut the circle and you get a much more accurate hole. Use lots of coolant/lubrication and patience. Won't take that long if you don't have to do it over!

This set of quality Klein hole-saw drills is the answer here and I will me bidding if you pass :eek: and for sure use a backer and a clamp/stop on the drill-press.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klein-4-Piece-Carbide-Tip-Hole-Cutter-Kit-Used/131553302335?_trksid=p2050601.c100085.m2372&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D32103%26meid%3D953ef1e72b3742ada9c6fc9895916334%26pid%3D100085%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D131553302335%26clkid%3D7576925052002827040&_qi=RTM2067267

Attachments

• hole drills.JPG
    hole drills.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 305
Yep - those are the killers to be sure! Carbide! More better! Pretty pricey though! Those guys have pilots that are smooth once the cutters get to work too. You can definitely get by with "normal" hole saws though as long as you are careful. I have never seen those sold outside of commercial circles, but a lot of the "good stuff" does seem to be finding its way into the mass market.

Quite honestly, as this is stainless it's going to be a really nasty job. Doable, but nasty. Lots of oil, very low speeds (60rpm or less). On of those perfect jobs for a workshop you really dislike. ;D

der_nanno said:
Quite honestly, as this is stainless it's going to be a really nasty job. Doable, but nasty. Lots of oil, very low speeds (60rpm or less). On of those perfect jobs for a workshop you really dislike. ;D

thought about putting this job on the list of a befriended machinist...i dont want to eff up that nice stainless chainguard.

jpmobius said:
A good way to do this is to drill all the pilot holes first with the pilot bit size, then turn the pilot drill bit upside down in the hole saw so you have a smooth shaft as pilot for the saw. That way the pilot drill bit does not chew up the pilot hole as it tries to cut the circle and you get a much more accurate hole.

This is an excellent tip, thank you.

I know this thread is a little old, but I have a different take on how to do this. I use a bolt together hole cutter. it even works on curved surfaces. It can't slip and mar the finish either.

In fact, if you need something similar done, let me know.

18Bravo said:
I know this thread is a little old, but I have a different take on how to do this. I use a bolt together hole cutter. it even works on curved surfaces. It can't slip and mar the finish either.

In fact, if you need something similar done, let me know.

please link the tool you speak of... thankz!

doc_rot said:
This is an excellent tip, thank you.
I'd use a dowel pin over chucking on the flutes of the bit.

Same principle, and it is a good tip.

Tune-A-Fish said:
please link the tool you speak of... thankz!

I love these things.

http://www.all-spec.com/products/Greenlee/Tools%7CWire_and_Electrical_Tools%7CTOL-22/G7238SB.html

Back
Top Bottom