SL / CB350 Mash Up

dynamitedave

dcclassiccycles.com
I started my latest CB350 project this weekend. I wanted a dirt bike style bike. Something more than a CL. It's a 71 CB with SL350 triple tree, forks, and 21" front wheel. The forks are 4" longer than CB forks and they are 35mm instead of 33mm. The rear wheel axle mount was moved down 2.25" and back 3.5". The ground clearance was increased by 3". I think it looks cool. My phone ran out of memory so I just have this one picture so far.

Attachments

• SL-CB350-bike.jpg
    SL-CB350-bike.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 562
xb33bsa said:
that aint gonna work what you did with the rear axle

The rear axle area isn't welded in the picture so you don't know what I did but enlighten me, what won't work?

I gotta see this pan out.....................

Another small bike project............cool.

dynamitedave said:
The rear axle area isn't welded in the picture so you don't know what I did but enlighten me, what won't work?
dropping the axle on the swinger 3" wont work just get an sl frame

xb33bsa said:
dropping the axle on the swinger 3" wont work just get an sl frame

What won't work about it? Looks pretty simple to me. I don't want an SL, I'm not a fan of their frames or how they look in general.

It would probably help your case to explain how you plan to move the rear axle. That way people can look at your plan and offer constructive criticism of your plan. Hard for us to have your vision when it's in your head ;)
I'm interested to see where this goes though.

dynamitedave said:
No thanks, I'll just build it how I want.

I think the concern is that the axle placement drastically changes the leverage and rear axle travel that may have undersireble handling effects and chain effective length changes. The same may be true with getting longer shocks.

One course of action would be to locate the front pivot lower or maybe adjust the seat subframe angle to create more room above the tire.

Your initial design could work but I would maybe look at relocating the engine higher in the cradle to move the front sprocket and reduce the arc that the chain would need to go through.

when you have an ignorant "builder" that does things based on how cool it looks talking sense is a lost cause

redwillissuperman said:
I think the concern is that the axle placement drastically changes the leverage and rear axle travel that may have undersireble handling effects and chain effective length changes. The same may be true with getting longer shocks.

One course of action would be to locate the front pivot lower or maybe adjust the seat subframe angle to create more room above the tire.

Your initial design could work but I would maybe look at relocating the engine higher in the cradle to move the front sprocket and reduce the arc that the chain would need to go through.

Thanks for your concern. I have mocked it up, tested it, and taken some measurements and I don't think there will be a problem. Only way to know for sure is to build it.

I get stretching the swinger to move the axle back, but how are you going to move it down?

Back
Top Bottom