'78 CB750 field coil testing/maybe short

72texas350

Been Around the Block
I am having trouble figure out what my problem is with my CB750 project. When I try to turn the power on it all of the electronics flicker and won't stay on. I have narrowed the problem down to the field coil, but I'm still confused. When I test the field coil my meter is showing 7.4 ohms. That would mean no short right? When I disconnect the field could from the rest of the bike, with everything else connected, the power turns on just fine. But as soon as I connect the field coil I get flicker/short, then dead. I'll probably replace the coil anyways, but I'm just confused about why the ohms test is still good. Any ideas?

do check the simple stuff all connections and the old fuse carriers can get worn and loose to where they are intermutant

xb33bsa said:
do check the simple stuff all connections and the old fuse carriers can get worn and loose to where they are intermutant

Yep, I have gone through and check ever part of the bike. I am positive that the problem is with the coil

There might be a possible short to the iron core of the coil. It might be worth measuring the resistance from the power wire to the mounting bracket on the coil.

Back
Top Bottom