Bad to nickel plate an oil tank?

quadracer351

Coast to Coast
I've been in touch with a local place that does nickel plating and was told by one of the employees to bring my oil tank by to be nickel plated. Once I got there I was stopped by someone who I believe is the owner of the shop and he told me they can't plate oil or gas tanks because the solution used will never fully rinse out and can cause damage to the motor. Part of me thinks since they usually deal in bigger batch stuff that they didn't want to deal with my tank, or is What he said true?

It's been done about a billion and a half times so I'd say he's full of shit.

Huge assumption here. They once plated a tank of some kind on the inside as well, and his plating didnt stick for one of several reasons, causing it to flake off and enter the engine.

I know the solutions need to drain quick when pulling the object out of the bath maybe the supply and return need to be plugged since they may not drain as fast as needed?
5751aedea104e1f07d635a3860dec371.jpg

I'm surprised he didn't just say "keep your dirty old oil tank away from my plating tanks".

I wanted some exhaust headers re-plated, and nobody would do it because of the crap inside the headers.

For the oil tank, I would think they'd cap the various inlets and dip it. Seems to me allowing nickle plate to flow inside the tank would be a bad idea for everyone involved.

quadracer351 said:
I know the solutions need to drain quick when pulling the object out of the bath maybe the supply and return need to be plugged since they may not drain as fast as needed?
5751aedea104e1f07d635a3860dec371.jpg
There is absolutely no reason for his solution to enter any interior part of the tank. That's the whole point. You will however have to put some shot in it to get it to submerge. Another option is to wire it to the bottom of a basket.

Does anyone know of a place that has done this before and I'll just mail them the tank most places I find by me do newer stuff and won't want to deal with a dirty tank

I cleaned it as best as possible it's not covered in oil and dirt grime but it's still going to need to be treated by them before plated and the place I went to this morning I could tell gets newer like new fixtures.

you are going to have to work out like what dohc said ,hard plug any openings and throw some heavy shit inside till it sinks easily but really noboby wants a dirty part in there solutitions
an unused newly fabbed tank is a different story
but if you cant work out how to plug and prep it yourself just forget the idea,your hapless,paint it

Back
Top Bottom