Can you use Spray Max 2K clear over color match aerosol?

shircliffa

Im doing a little patch work and as far as clear coat goes I have seen amazing reviews on the 2K and I'm just making sure I can use it with a color match base coat that I assume is just a regular rattle can. Can anyone give me some insight on this?

I did when i repainted my 67 honda 305 fender. Just make sure to let the base coat cure for 30 days to ensure its done off-gassing. If the base coat is still curing then you can have lifting issues.

If the aerosol basecoat is a proper basecoat, as in it needs lacquer to achieve gloss, then you can lacquer over it with 2K clear after 20 minutes. That's assuming your painting at around 20 degrees Celsius, and have allowed around ten minutes flash off time between each coat of basecoat.

Good practise is to paint a spray-out card at the same time, which is a black and white checkered piece of card...almost photograph sized. You give this card the same amount of coats as whatever you are painting and once you can't see the black / white through the paint, you know you have adequate paint coverage. Hit this with 2k clear too and make a note on the back once it's dried with exactly what colour you have used, with how many coats you had to apply. Next time you have to paint something, you know how many coats you need and it gives more accuracy.

A good painter, especially one that does a lot of bike painting, will have a personal library of these cards..... In particular for 3 stage pearls that have dyes

Back
Top Bottom