Honda CB400F Cafe, first attempt

deviant said:
I don't know shit about designing a monoshock.

haha me either, but I know welding a fair amount of structural engineering, and if he don't brace that thing, its gonna break

JohnK said:
Hope you are not going to use that welder to weld your shock mount?
+1

Whatever was going on with those welds, they aint right I tell ya they aint right.

Hard to imagine a project this complicated going well with those kind of welds all over it. It's not a jab it's a fact and a safety issue.

I'm reserving judgement on the design until this gets to the almost done stage. Vintage monoshock conversion designs are largely trial and error. I see some stuff here that has been poopoo'd way too early because of assumptions. That being said, it does take skill and knowledge to get it right. Luck wont do it.

It does strike me as odd though, that people not in the business or industry tend to believe that this kind of stuff is easy. Nevermind the fact motorcycles are built by extremely intelligent engineers that spend millions of dollars and thousands of hours to end up with a properly functioning machine.

I see chicken turds mang, Looks factory, but you need some penetration. Flux core or gas in the glue gun??

Are you guys talking about the welds where he 'tacked' on a mount for the shock? Or the photo where the shock is mounted, everything sprayed black? I'd agree that the former looks terrible, but I think it was just bad tacking.

papercutout said:
Are you guys talking about the welds where he 'tacked' on a mount for the shock? Or the photo where the shock is mounted, everything sprayed black? I'd agree that the former looks terrible, but I think it was just bad tacking.

I don't think the one sprayed black is his. Just an example he posted. That's a different swing arm than the one he is mounting.

all the weld that i have done are just "tak" welds to try line everything up, once im happy with the placement i will get my welder buddy to come weld everything in place with the tig welder.

my welding skills are seriously crap, still trying to get to grips with my new machine. currently im using non gas wire in my mig welder.

No wonder your welding is crap - you at least want a basic gas welder! Good to hear you're just tacking and leaving the real welding to someone who has the gear - I'd do the same.

hi guys,

just want to run something past you all, i was thinking of something cool to do with the top mount,

could i use 4x heim joints at the top mount and 2x heim joint for the bottom dog bone.

do you think it will be strong enough?

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 1,609
hi guys,

been working hard on my rear section and got some parts machined.

Attachments

• DSC_0071.JPG
    DSC_0071.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 330
  • DSC_0070.JPG
    DSC_0070.JPG
    985.4 KB · Views: 317
  • DSC_0069.JPG
    DSC_0069.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 333
  • DSC_0068.JPG
    DSC_0068.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 314
  • DSC_0067.JPG
    DSC_0067.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 334
Three things.

1) are you copying the rear shock mount design from the donor bike or are you winging it?

2) Heim joints are for adjust ability and movement nothing in the rear suspension but the shock is adjustable.

3) practice welding more, your welds are going to fail period... never weld to paint and never weld a structural section of your bike until you are 100% of your welding ability... your life and the next owners life depends on it.

As for the rest, you have a chance to make a nice ride, don't blow it trying to go fast in the shop.

Get some of those notch cuts on scrap as many as you can and practice welds, clean the metal to bare and use argon if you can, not for better welds but it will build confidence. post pics of the practice work or PM them if you don't want it here. DO NOT WELD THAT SHOCK LASHUP UNTIL YOU PRACTICE!!

Hi,thanks for the advise, Im just tak welding all the joints, then taking it to a pro welder to do for me, hopefully this weekend he will come weld,

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Made some huge process today, got the rear shock top mount done and bottom. Feel like I climbed a mountain. Lol lol

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Whats the frame gusset plan? I always am interested to see structural enhancements and how they effect or adversely affect strong/weak points.

All in to see this one.

Back
Top Bottom