www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Ducati Mobster  (Read 11012 times)

Offline maxBetteridge

• Max Betteridge design
Re: Ducati Mobster
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2016, 21:14:33 »
These are the tips I thought he might've used. The rest of the pipes are custom I'm guessing.

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/181965363975

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tune-A-Fishİ

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • BOTM LOSER Proudly Deplorable
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2016, 21:21:36 »
Nah... look inside the cans, you can see they have way bigger baffle ports around the corner and those eBay cans are small and close to the end.

This is a 100% bike no way anything but the best was used.
"I didn't come here and I ain't leavin"  Willie Nelson

"love hard, live fast, die fun" Kacey Musgraves

"Like a Wreckin Ball!" Eric Church

Offline kiwiguy

« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2016, 22:19:37 »
I was more thinking of the lines of something like this. (pls excuse the drawing, I can bearly spell CAD let alone use one)
then you could still utalise the OE front pipes of the Duke, and make new secondary's and up pipe into your muffler
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2016, 22:21:15 by kiwiguy »
If it was easy to do, everyone would do it

Offline maxBetteridge

• Max Betteridge design
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2016, 03:29:32 »
Before I began modifying the bike I got a few 'before' shots at a carpark I think I might use for the 'after' shots. Here's a couple:

And I couldn't resist photoshopping on my CAD to check it looks like I imagined..

Thought I'd throw this in too. I'll admit this shot is a bit staged.. but I have gone through probably close to 100 prints, sketches, and overlays to get to a design I'm happy with:) This is just a few

Offline maxBetteridge

• Max Betteridge design
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2016, 03:57:31 »
The first thing I want to do is clean up the front end. I'm going to do most of the same things that I did to the GSX so there's not too many unknowns, just a bunch of work to get out of the way.I'm hoping that once I've got the front done I'll be able to get back on the road with it and get used to the new riding position and make a few more decisions about the seat position, rearsets, and things like that.

I stripped the headlight and the mess of confusing Italian designed brackets and mounts behind it. I then got into the new triple clamp. I am planning to redesign the existing speedo enclosure soon, so the mounting of this is not too critical at this stage.

I used 20mm plate to make these triple clamps. The design is a little unconventional but easier to make on the machines I've got available compared to a standard triple clamp design. When I made the triple clamp for the GSX I cleared it with a local motorcycle certifier who liked the design so I'm pretty sure this one will be sweet too.

Designing and programming (and checking it will fit around the existing holes in the scrap piece of plate):

Machining

Top side finished

(Not the best surface finish.. There's some rubbing from the face mill because the plate is so large and not clamped/supported very well. But I think I will bead blast and anodise all of these parts eventually so I'm happy enough)

Bottom side finished and chopped out

Milled off the tabs, drilled, counterbored, and tapped the clamp screws. And it fits.

My workmate later pointed out, after looking at my CAD that the rounds on the front aren't symmetrical.. So I had to make another set! Not quite finished yet, but they're sitting under my desk waiting for some more attention. Probably nobody would ever notice the asymmetry, I mean even I didn't until he pointed it out. But the difference between a 50mm rad and a 100mm rad is pretty significant when you know it's there!

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2016, 06:36:09 »
Awesome final design, hope it works out in reality? Looking forward to the result.

I can now see the radius on each stanchion differs, I'd say the left is out and the right looks...well, right.

Offline Tune-A-Fishİ

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • BOTM LOSER Proudly Deplorable
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2016, 09:04:04 »
Nice job, I like the tool marks and would likely anodize just the way they are... natural color as well.

P.S. Can I have the screw ups, I have a Ducatai Monster complete front end they would go nicely on.
"I didn't come here and I ain't leavin"  Willie Nelson

"love hard, live fast, die fun" Kacey Musgraves

"Like a Wreckin Ball!" Eric Church

Offline maxBetteridge

• Max Betteridge design
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2016, 23:02:39 »
Almost up to date on the build now :)

I got some clipons and bar-ends from aliexpress and, as with the last set I bought out of asia, was really impressed with the build quality for the price! Had to bore out the bars a little in the lathe to get the mirrors to fit but apart from that these came together well.

Don't have a photo but the clutch and brake MCs fouled on the clipon mounts and caused me issues assembling everything. Basically I couldn't fit the levers far enough up the bars to give enough space for the controls and grips. To get around this I machined some crescent shaped spacers to space the levers/master cylinders out 5mm from the bars. Got some SS cap screws which were 5mm longer and put it all together and I think it is all sweet now.

Took it for a quick ride up and down the driveway with the new bars on and I was amazed at the difference they made! The original riding position on these monsters is awful imo. Being that much lower is probably not great for comfort but is definitely a big improvement in the feel of the bike.

The next big thing I am working on at the moment is repackaging the gauges. I would love to put on a new speedo and trash the existing ones but because the immobiliser is built into the gauges on this bike I think I have to stick with the originals. I want to slim them down as much as possible and simplify the look of them. I have decided to try a composite (basalt fiber) enclosure with an anodised aluminium face with laser engraved markings. (Laser engraving anodised aluminium is a great way to get a professional touch which is actually really cheap and easy to do).

First thing I did was strip down the gauges to figure out what approach to take on remaking this component and measure things up.

I gave it a scan on another 3D scanner:

And started CADing

Laser cut a mockup of the faceplate to check everything lined up (it didn't first time around..) and tested the position on the bike

I can't shrink down the gauges as much as I had hoped but I will simplify the enclosure and get rid of some of the unnecessary complex shapes. I'm also changing their position quite a lot, lowering them and flattening them. I want them to tuck in behind the triple clamp as much as possible and line up with the top line of the frame. I want to design this component in such a way that I could sell it as a kit in the future so I might take my time making sure it's designed well. But not sure if this will eventuate, just an idea at this stage:)

Pulling the needles / hands off the gauges was the scariest thing I've had to do on this bike so far. I think they must be glued on and you really have to put some serious force into it to get them off! They made a terrifying crack when they finally gave out too! but nothing broke so all good.

Offline maxBetteridge

• Max Betteridge design
« Reply #28 on: Jan 29, 2016, 23:11:09 »
If anyone can suggest a cheap and easy way I can work around the factory immobiliser and install some different gauges I'd love to hear it!
From what I can tell it's impossible to get around the immobiliser unless I go for an aftermarket ecu which I'd rather not deal with. Does anyone have any experience with this or have any other suggestions for me to look into? 

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2016, 04:07:31 »
Great work man.