Making a carbon fiber fender

If it hasn't been opened, you're most likely fine.

If it has started to go bad, it'll be chunky.

It hasn't been opened until last night...it wasn't chunky

One other question, it's a little chilly right now, 50-60 in the garage, should I just let the gel coat cure on it's own or help it with a little direct heat? Not blast it with a heat gun, just place a small heater nearby. Is it better to let it flash on it's own to work it's chemical magic?

I let it flash by itself. It just takes longer. I typically let it sit overnight. That will minimize your chance for shrinkage once you start laying it out.

J-Rod10 said:
I let it flash by itself. It just takes longer. I typically let it sit overnight. That will minimize your chance for shrinkage once you start laying it out.

As long as it flashes eventually I'm cool with waiting. This whole thing is definitely not something to be rushed if I want a decent product, figured that out already

Finally making some progress. Sprayed on a couple layers of PVA

fender8_zpsydgxq9y1.jpg

After PVA set, mixed up and brushed on the first layer of gelcoat

fender9_zpsxrvjpswm.jpg

Looks like a lot of brush strokes on the outer surface, but with everything I've seen and read, the actual surface of the mold where the gel contacts the plug will be nice and smooth.....I hope ???

Made some flock or milled fiber filler out of scrap pieces of fiberglass using a cutting wheel.

fender10_zpscfx7auen.jpg

Mixed it with some resin and made a paste to fill where the side of the plug meets the board

fender11_zpss2cmbcme.jpg

Next I laid some veil fabric as a first layer. Chose this method just in case my brushed gelcoat was a little thin in some areas with the hope the veil will give a little stability for the following layers of chopped strand mat.

fender12_zpscwsh2ly1.jpg

fender13_zpstmhjraix.jpg

Two layers of 1.5 oz mat

fender14_zpsckup79fe.jpg

fender15_zpspz0miupj.jpg

fender16_zpsrmutk8gn.jpg

Of course the biggest event is still to come, seeing if the mold releases, but for my first time, so far everything is going very smoothly.

Last 2 layers, 2 oz mat

fender17_zpsoz1vs1b3.jpg

How long should I wait to pop the mold? I'm in no hurry and have heard everything from 24hrs to a week

It can depend on the temperature and humidity.

Drier and hotter will make it cure faster.

Indoors at room temp will usually be good in 24 hours, but if you're not in a hurry give it two days.

billyp said:
Last 2 layers, 2 oz mat

fender17_zpsoz1vs1b3.jpg

How long should I wait to pop the mold? I'm in no hurry and have heard everything from 24hrs to a week
I usually pop them in 24 hours. Touch it. If it's still tacky, let it sit another day, if not, pop it off.

Working late the next few days, I may try popping it off tonight.

As far as prepping the mold. I know I'll have to sand it down, should I start at 400 wet or something lower? Take it up to 12 or 1500 wet? Can I hand buff it with polish or do I need to use a buffer?

Found some time to pop the mold off. It easily came off of the board, I barely had to pry on it, but the actual plug was a different story. I think because of the straightish sides, and the fact it was only hot glued in a couple spots, it got stuck in the mold, I had to destroy the plug to get it out. If I do a fender again I think I'll put a flange on the bottom of the plug so I can lever it out of the mold easily.

Remnants of a once nice plug

mold1_zpsxbwdi2qh.jpg

It's not perfect, but for my first time I'm very happy with how it turned out. It's plenty good for a one time use mold. So far I've only sanded it with 220 and 320, the wet sand to 1200 is still to come

eb8c0791-80ce-492f-a4dd-323cb24afa60_zpsa5oyckgu.jpg

cc123d77-ca25-431d-8396-89ed81a3f5dc_zpsdfmkzo4d.jpg

Started getting ready to lay up the carbon fiber in the mold.

First I made a rough pattern by putting tape down on the mold, pulled it out and and got it semi flattened out.

mold4_zpstsonvk0o.jpg

With the tape pattern I was able to transfer the size to poster board and cut out a pattern for the carbon fiber and the vacuum bagging consumables.

mold5_zpsnblvzub3.jpg

Got the carbon cut to size along with the breather cloth, peel ply, and release film. I'm doing 5 layers of carbon and I cut the pieces so the layers will be laid out 45,0,45,0,45.

mold6_zpsqw9bxhme.jpg

mold11_zps4lw2ta0m.jpg

Next I set up the vacuum bag. I'm going to use it like a big envelope, leaving plenty of slack in the bag so it will be able to get down tight in the mold when the vacuum is pulled

mold7_zpstizbug01.jpg

I duct taped the edges and corners so it won't accidently tear the bag

mold8_zpsmdpo3pky.jpg

I found out about Frekote from some composite forums and R/C model building videos online. It's a one step release agent, no wax is needed, just the spray

mold10_zpssjhetdaq.jpg

Set the mold in a makeshift stand so it won't roll around on me

mold9_zps7jklfsgq.jpg

Here goes nothing!

Just realized I never showed a finished fender

finish_zpspyl72vz6.jpg

The Freekote worked great, popped right out

cfbcc7cc-65ea-409b-94b9-7dde2dbc3a1c_zpsl63d1n62.jpg

Got a couple of voids, I assume I can just fill with resin and sand down?

finish4_zpsbal8h1wp.jpg

finish5_zps6qydmdt7.jpg

b2d12607-aba1-490d-93d1-ff0b23c2515a_zpsmuwcw7vl.jpg

Next I'll trim it down and put a couple coats of resin on to fill and even everything out.

Overall I'm happy with my first attempt at carbon fiber and vacuum bagging. Would rolling it out or using a plastic body filler paddle thing to press it into the mold help With those voids?

Back
Top Bottom