www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: KZ 750 Twin - Two point zero  (Read 39196 times)

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
Re: KZ 750 Twin - Two point zero
« Reply #300 on: Sep 20, 2017, 22:10:19 »
Man that is funky. You better patent those before they are all over Alibaba for sale.

If only eh? 
--
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
The Shovelhead springer chopper
A bunch of KZ's...some Suzukis', and a disassembled CB550
--

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #301 on: Oct 16, 2017, 06:23:38 »
Oh boy ........... one very happy Beachcomber here !
Twin plug head is completed and awaiting my collection [ with the rest of the '81 engine ].
The good news is that the guy who did the deed for me borrowed the relevant jigs from the instigator - and was then given permission to duplicate the jigs for his own use.
He won't be creating a production line anytime soon - but has the wherewithall if anyone's interested ? The only problem is that he no longer has access to his machine tools etc. as he's changed jobs. However, he is getting a quote from a local friendly machine shop to see if it's viable to get the conversions done.
I have decided on the Norvil 1/2 fairing.

Progress looking good CC ! I recently went through the caliper / brake refurb game - only to ditch it all with the swap to the Grimeca and XS650 drum rear . I'm following your rearset installation with interest as my bike is [ has ! ] morphed into that 60's Cafe Racer now rather than a Flat Tracker. Keep those pix coming - inspirational !!
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2017, 06:25:49 by beachcomber »
"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #302 on: Oct 16, 2017, 18:25:18 »
Oh boy ........... one very happy Beachcomber here !
Twin plug head is completed and awaiting my collection [ with the rest of the '81 engine ].
The good news is that the guy who did the deed for me borrowed the relevant jigs from the instigator - and was then given permission to duplicate the jigs for his own use.
He won't be creating a production line anytime soon - but has the wherewithall if anyone's interested ? The only problem is that he no longer has access to his machine tools etc. as he's changed jobs. However, he is getting a quote from a local friendly machine shop to see if it's viable to get the conversions done.
I have decided on the Norvil 1/2 fairing.

Progress looking good CC ! I recently went through the caliper / brake refurb game - only to ditch it all with the swap to the Grimeca and XS650 drum rear . I'm following your rearset installation with interest as my bike is [ has ! ] morphed into that 60's Cafe Racer now rather than a Flat Tracker. Keep those pix coming - inspirational !!

Looks great BC.   Those pics answer a few questions I had about the dual plug heads.   Now for the ignition questions.....      :)
--
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
--

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #303 on: Oct 16, 2017, 23:14:33 »
Nice to hear you got winter digs and moving forward. Heads look excellent
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #304 on: Oct 28, 2017, 07:29:50 »
CC ... this is my actual head. The small damage to the exhaust port exit floor has been rectified. The other pic is of his "prototype" - notice there was some small damage to the casting around the milled hole.

One of the German KZ guys [ Michael ] and a.n.other have twin plug conversions and both have offered up options for ignition. My pal is busy doing another head at the moment [ now he has the jigs ], but has to look for a machine shop as he he is changing jobs and won't have facilities to do it himself at the new place.

As soon as I have positive info for the twin plug ignition I'll let you know.

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #306 on: Oct 28, 2017, 18:34:36 »
You should convert those plugs to side fire, Beach. 

Absolutely - those were just trial fit jobbies ! They will also be indexed when the time comes.

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #307 on: Nov 20, 2017, 14:33:23 »
Still working on it.  I got the new neck bearings and races in and done and was able to mount up the front end.  Now I can work on the headlight and gauge mount stuff.

I cleaned up the peg mount template I made and it looks like it will work how I want.  I have 3/16 steel plate.  I'm pretty sure it will be enough, if not, it'll be easy enough to re-fab one with 1/4 plate.  It'll be bolt on and not welded so no permanent frame mods for the new rearsets.
The shift linkage lines up nicely but the trick will be the rear brake pedal linkage.  I have an idea but not 100% yet.
--
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
--

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #308 on: Nov 23, 2017, 06:26:31 »
I would say 3/16" is totally adequate - unless you intend to stand up on the pegs ! Even then ...................

A favour please - could you give me a measurement from the vertical oblong boss on the gearbox [ viewed above sprocket ] to the centreline of the primary drive sprocket ? I want to roughly 'ish set up the rear wheel for sprocket alignment. My dummy engine has no guts in it. And I don't want to handball the complete lump around if I can help it. Ta

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #309 on: Nov 28, 2017, 07:25:33 »
Many thanx for the pix / measurements. One final - if I may be a PITA.  ::)

Here's the point I need the drive sprocket to rear sprocket alignment measurement from. IOW - I need to know how far out from the casing the sprocket c/l is. That's just so I can roughly position the rear wheel and sprocket to get spacers made. I'll allow for shimming for true alignment once the "real" engine is in the chassis. Your second pic down showing the drive sprocket from above is virtually it, but you can see on my dummy engine - I don't have that outer case where the drive sprocket is !