Gas tank dent

Extreme_250

Hey guys. Wanting to get this dent out of my 81' Yamaha SR250. I've tried to pop it out from the inside, but I cant really get to it. Any other effective ways to get it out? (I'm not going to fill it with water and put it in the freezer) If I wind up taking it somewhere, how much should it cost to pop it out?

I know I know, try a dent puller, but they seem like a waste of money. but if there aren't any other good ways, I might try it.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 938
You think? You know a lot of people have told me about pistols, that holster wear adds character and looks good. I guess motorcycle tanks can be the same XD

Vinegar and baking soda might pop it out. You have to close it off quick and be careful not to leave it in long enough to pop a seam. Pour some baking soda in, then vinegar, then close it tight.

A stud welder will pull it out without making a hole in it. The tanks from earlier bikes are a heavier gauge than most of the tanks today. So removing the dent is a bit more difficult.

Scratcher09 said:
A stud welder will pull it out without making a hole in it. The tanks from earlier bikes are a heavier gauge than most of the tanks today. So removing the dent is a bit more difficult.

Old HD and Brit tanks were. These Japanese tanks are pretty thin. Easy to repair.

My stud welder is a TIG welder and pre J hooked welding rod chunks then just use a seal puller and hammer

Mine has a little notch to bite the J
p1030183.jpg

deviant said:
Or baking soda and vinegar. ;)

I like it. But I have two dents on corners or radius to deal with today and the tanks (Z1R and KZ) I'm working on is subject to distortion so I can't do the volcano method.

I will weld a few pull wires and then use the tig torch to heat the dent in exactly the right spot then give it a pull may not need a hammer at all.

Oh yeah, I mean for a dent like the POs in the first pic. It doesn't work for anything. It also is not good for tanks with a really high center spine where the underside is close to the top of the tank. The tank just wants to go flat.

Tune-A-Fish said:
I will weld a few pull wires and then use the tig torch to heat the dent in exactly the right spot then give it a pull may not need a hammer at all.

Can u let is know if that worked? Because that just sounds awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

you can also clean area well and use a hot glue gun to glue metal tabs to tank and then pull outward on tabs, might pull paint off but then just glue to bare metal

Corbo said:
Can u let is know if that worked? Because that just sounds awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I did it on my Z1R tank and it worked perfect, i used a nail welded in the dent pulled it out and ground off the tack weld

Tune-A-Fish said:
I did it on my Z1R tank and it worked perfect, i used a nail welded in the dent pulled it out and ground off the tack weld
Plus one in this... if you have access to even a little Flux core or MIG tack a nail to it and pull then a little grinding or flap disk then a little bondo and no one will know it was there...
Psy

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom