www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Ugly Goose - Moto Guzzi 850T cafe  (Read 28258 times)

Online Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
Re: Ugly Goose - Moto Guzzi 850T cafe
« Reply #40 on: Jun 06, 2016, 12:08:17 »
hidn45 - that is a sharp bike, but it looks more like a muscle bike then the small lightweight café racer look that I am going for. A 6 gal tank hides the massiveness of the motor, and that is what attracted me to a Moto Guzzi in the first place.

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #41 on: Jun 06, 2016, 12:12:17 »
... and a phone no to the gal please  8)

No phone number, but the model is Melissa Bryan. She's a fellow rider in our local Portland group.

I'll let you do your own stalking. :P
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline hidn45

« Reply #42 on: Jun 06, 2016, 13:56:03 »
Very nice bike Randy, is that yours?

Don't I wish!!  Came across it on the ol' innerneck...... from France, I believe.  My absolute fave.  Began life as an 850 t-3, if I recall correctly.  If I could find a decent Goose I'd love to do something similar (although red is DEF not my first choice....).

Quite muscular looking, I quite agree.  Kinda just threw it out there for the discussion.  I like the light look too, but this is just an all out stunning package.....
Keep yer knees in the breeze-

Randy

Offline Perter

« Reply #43 on: Jun 08, 2016, 03:29:19 »
No phone number, but the model is Melissa Bryan. She's a fellow rider in our local Portland group.

I'll let you do your own stalking. :P

Don't worry, I have a wife and 4 kids.... too expensive for me to mesh around :o. But never the less I appreciate a nice woman and the combination of her curves and the bikes line is just perfect. Say hi to her from a guy in Denmark next time

Online Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
« Reply #44 on: Jun 19, 2016, 21:20:50 »
I had a busy weekend. I had to modify my rear sets to get them to sit right. Then went from this-

To this

In preparation for soda blasting and painting the motor and frame.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Online Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
« Reply #45 on: Jun 20, 2016, 13:39:45 »
OK,
it was time to cut the frame.

I cannot cut it where I think that it would look best due to the rear mounts for the seat and it is getting close to the shock mount. There is a gusset in the way as well.

I wanted it to be a straight cut, and I didn't have a pipe cutter (on know if they would work on this thicker walled steel tube).

I wound up using a reciprocating saw after I made sure to make a nice line to guide me.

I know that I will mess with it more later.

Online Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
« Reply #46 on: Jun 20, 2016, 13:44:38 »
I want to have a straight edge to the end of the tube, but I want it closer to the seat. I may use the tubes to house some led brake lights.

What I want to do is cut down the gusset and make it look nicer. I cant see there being any loss of strength to that area. Am I wrong? I marked the area that I want to cut off with blue tape.

I also have a bunch of tabs that I need to cut off and areas of the frame that need to be cleaned up before I paint it.

« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2016, 15:38:24 by Rusnak_322 »

Offline japstar

« Reply #47 on: Jun 20, 2016, 19:33:52 »
You won't lose any important strength. Grind away mate  8)
GPZ550 cafe racer http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=69514.0

It ain't about showing up on a bike that the loan officer at your bank, or your parent's inheritance bought for you. It's about skinning your knuckles, straining your back, developing some blisters on your hands, breathing varsol and paint fumes,taking measurements and making mistakes.
It's about standing back, after the dust settles, and being able to say when people ask, "I BUILT it!"

Online Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
« Reply #48 on: Jun 27, 2016, 16:09:33 »
From this -

to this.

what a pain. I bought the wrong cut off wheels, so I had to use a dull reciprocating saw and then sand down with a flapper wheel. luckily I had some 24 and 60 grit, so it didn't take too much time, but it made a mess.

I have some filler work to do, but only really thin. I plan to paint and not powdercoat, so no big deal.

Online Rusnak_322

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • STUNT BIKE
« Reply #49 on: Jun 27, 2016, 16:20:25 »
Soda blasted the motor over the weekend. It was 90 degrees out and humid, so I had problems with condensation in the air supply. I have a cheap water separator and bought a harbor freight Inline Desiccant Dryer/Filter that was too small. I didn't realize it, but it has a 1/4" inlet and the soda blaster needed 3/8 to 1/2". So the blaster would work for a short time, but then the pressure fell and I would have to wait while it filled up again. I could hear it, sounded like filling a small air tank.

The carbs cleaned up great. the motor is clean, I went over it with some carb cleaner and paper towels and got the last bits of dirt.

The aluminum still has some stains and corrosion areas, so I am going to paint it with hi temp aluminum paint once the temps and humidity drop back down.

Here are some before shots.

Here is the blaster I bought - I was going to buy the HF 15lb soda blaster, but they were out. this sand blaster, with a soda conversion was less money.