Fuel resistant rattle can paint for bead blasted carb?

edelweiss

Coast to Coast
Sorry if this a duplicate topic. I have a 74 Yamaha DT360 Enduro carb that I need to paint satin black (stock color):

1. Anyone know of a decent rattle can paint that is fuel resistant?
2. Does priming cause issues when the top coat is exposed to any type of fuel exposure?

Thanks everybody.

John

The VHT engine enamel is fuel resistant, but solvents like carb cleaner will peel it right up.

Spraymax 2k clear comes in gloss, semi matte and matte. Ive used the gloss and matte but not the semi matte.

I have had good luck with both VHT Engine enamel and VHT caliper paint for chemical resistance. They both have to be cured (I believe) at 200F for 1 hour to achieve max chemical resistance.

deviant said:
2K clear is clear ;)

All 2k clears are clear....silly

BTW I had may carbs painted for a while...will never ever do that again. smallest flakes can seriously clog jetting...and every time you open them to clear jets...more flaking. So if you do spray them. Keep it away from edges of bowl and such.

Oh and what am I thinking, spraymax 2k also comes in satin black

http://usa.spraymax.com/index.php?id=848

Best price I have found...

http://www.repaintsupply.com/spraymax-3680212-2k-urethane-hot-rod-satin-black-paint-aerosol-p5205.html

trek97 said:
Oh and what am I thinking, spraymax 2k also comes in satin black

http://usa.spraymax.com/index.php?id=848

Best price I have found...

http://www.repaintsupply.com/spraymax-3680212-2k-urethane-hot-rod-satin-black-paint-aerosol-p5205.html
You can get Spraymax in any color you want. The last two bikes I've painted were painted with Spraymax then 2K clear over.

I used this stuff recently:

28469ceb-dd10-403a-830f-a24d421c4478_400.jpg

....on the reservoirs on this.....

IMG_1555_zpshrgwvmor.jpg

and they got smothered in brake fluid, brake cleaner, all sorts of stuff and the paint is unmarked.

Powder coat them. They will be more durable to fuel resistance than paint, it will go on much thinner with none of the issues paint has.

trek97 said:
All 2k clears are clear....silly

BTW I had may carbs painted for a while...will never ever do that again. smallest flakes can seriously clog jetting...and every time you open them to clear jets...more flaking. So if you do spray them. Keep it away from edges of bowl and such.

You are talking about painting the exterior, right? Just clarifying, I'm a newb but was planning on engine painting this weekend. Would be good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Corbo said:
You are talking about painting the exterior, right? Just clarifying, I'm a newb but was planning on engine painting this weekend. Would be good to know.

I'm sure there are lots of places out there that do it, but I have a FinishMasters here in Augusta. I can go in and order any automotive color in a SprayMax can. Give them a color chip, they plug the numbers in, take it to a machine that mixes the paint and charges the can. That and the 2K clear is how I've done my last two bikes. It's a lot more money to get the color this way, but if you don't have the facility or equipment, it's not a bad option. For one or two bikes only, IMO. If you plan to do more, then by all means invest in equipment. It'll save in the long run. But all in all, the SprayMax is pretty damn convenient.

I use rattle can for the convenience...

But when I'm painting a few body panels or tank/seat...I use the HVLP setup every time.

Corbo said:

Painting your engine...do yourself a favor and paint while its all together. Plug intake/exhaust and tape it off. Much easier and more forgiving than painting before assembly...

Corbo said:
You are talking about painting the exterior, right?

Corbo, I can't tell if you're serious or trolling or if I completely misunderstand your question, but yes, despite being extremely thorough with the work on his bikes, I'm positive trek did not paint the insides of his carbs.

Corbo said:

Yes, the exterior. DO NOT paint the inside of your carbs.

@iatethepeach LOL definitely not trolling. Learning my way around a rebuild for first time, mostly from this site+youtube/forums. well I didn't figure you did mean paint the insides but I cldn't figure out why exterior chipping would really interfere w the jets so figured I'd ask. Thanks guys

adventurco said:
I use rattle can for the convenience...

Painting your engine...do yourself a favor and paint while its all together. Plug intake/exhaust and tape it off. Much easier and more forgiving than painting before assembly...
thanks. Thats my plan!

Corbo said:
@iatethepeach LOL definitely not trolling. Learning my way around a rebuild for first time, mostly from this site+youtube/forums. well I didn't figure you did mean paint the insides but I cldn't figure out why exterior chipping would really interfere w the jets so figured I'd ask. Thanks guys

The paint on the exterior close to the edges of bowls can flake. And as Murphys Law predicts... those miniscule flakes always seem to end up sticking to the inside of the bowls. My eyes are pretty bad so I have a hard time seeing those tiny bastards. So...However they are easy to find once the jets are clogged.

Back
Top Bottom