www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: My first bike, the 1974 XL100  (Read 3208 times)

Offline iatethepeach

Re: My first bike, the 1974 XL100
« Reply #10 on: Jun 10, 2016, 23:02:18 »
That's pretty cool it worked on the turd head. Besides the corrosion it seems that if a part is in close proximity to some material the Pine-Sol dissolves, that part may get coated in the material. Here's a shot of my upper carb body, for example. I'm not sure what that stuff is on the choke lever but I think it may be goo that melted off the float chamber gasket area (it was sitting right above it in the bath). BFD.

Offline iatethepeach

« Reply #11 on: Jun 10, 2016, 23:20:03 »
Who knows if I'll be able to get it working, but I'm happy to have the original Keihin this time and not a Chinese deal. The carb on the CL is doing the job but I tried getting in touch with "OEM" a dozen times via phone and email when I was having trouble and never heard a word back from them. Creeps. I'm still not sure that carb is 100%.

I made some new intake gaskets, too. The ones I bought NOS for the scrambler literally crumbled in my hands when I replaced its insulator. No more "NOS" gaskets from the trusted Honda dealer (or any gaskets I can't easily make myself).

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2016, 23:27:01 by iatethepeach »

Offline iatethepeach

« Reply #12 on: Jun 16, 2016, 18:58:14 »
(Sorry, I got distracted by my other bikes for a bit.)

So I've decided to leave this thing at my mom and dad's house while I work on it, partially because they have more space, but mostly because it makes my mom happy when I visit. Since I haven't been able to get up there recently, I set about cleaning up a bunch of stuff I pulled off the bike the last time I was there:

Offline iatethepeach

« Reply #13 on: Jun 16, 2016, 19:18:44 »
Here's a question. When I cleaned and repainted the CL airbox, it didn't have this tight mesh installed around the filter frame like I find on the XL:

Is the mesh an anti-spark device? If so, can I cut it out? The ring on top of the mesh seems to be glued in place.
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2016, 19:20:19 by iatethepeach »

Offline iatethepeach

« Reply #15 on: Jun 16, 2016, 19:57:23 »
Thanks, deviant. I'll see if I can melt the glue and pop off that ring, otherwise I'll cut it.

Offline iatethepeach

« Reply #16 on: Jun 16, 2016, 20:50:51 »
I was concerned about the pipe after dealing with the rust on the CL's. There was plenty of surface rust on the header but fortunately no holes. The diffuser remained rusted fast to the inside of the muffler, despite soaking in PB for days.

I didn't think it'd come out, but at the end of several sessions of scouring the rest of the pipe with a wire wheel, I heard a "clank" and it dropped to the floor next to me. That was a nice surprise.

Offline iatethepeach

« Reply #17 on: Jun 17, 2016, 10:51:10 »
I hammered the dents out of the heat shield and polished it with vinegar and aluminum foil. It cleaned up nicely! The hanger, boot-guard, diffuser, and rest of the pipe are ready to be painted, too.

Offline iatethepeach

« Reply #18 on: Jun 17, 2016, 10:59:19 »
I'm leaving the dents in the muffler, rather than trying to fix them. It might not look so hot after painting but I don't mind a few battle-scars (and I'm lazy).

Offline iatethepeach

« Reply #19 on: Jun 18, 2016, 11:32:57 »
Japanese airbox glue is no match for the heat gun!

I think I'll need to reinstall this thing once I get it cleaned and the rest of the airbox painted. Otherwise the filter is going to be kinda loosey-goosey on there.