www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1974 CB360 Engine Troubles (I think)  (Read 6480 times)

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
Re: 1974 CB360 Engine Troubles (I think)
« Reply #180 on: Sep 22, 2017, 17:14:08 »
Also, if they are too tight, the valves could be tagging the piston tops.  But not sure how tight they would have to be for this to occur.

and I did miss the vid link  ::)  But seen it now.

I dont know whats up w PJ hes been offline for a week and he would know more about this than me. 

Ill share your vid link w a few others too.  See what they say about it.

We had a bit of wind blowing and power went out (IRMA  ;D )

Okay well maybe not everything turned out perfectly. I just replaced the rear taillight (dual filament 1157) with an led 1157.

When I turn the key on accessory, the bulb lights up (acting as the parking light)

When I have the running light switch turned on, the bulb lights up. But once I pull either brake, the bulb goes out.

Everything worked as it should with the old filament bulb. I even tried reversing the POS/NEG cables but that didn't do anything.

Any ideas on what could be causing the brakes to cut power off to the lightbulb? I'm out of ideas about what to check

You have something connected wrong if light works on park but not with ignition on. Could be the handlebar switch needs an ON-Off position or the power wire needs bridging inside switch or headlight bucket?
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2017, 17:18:10 by crazypj »
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
I gave my girlfriend an orgasm the other night, but, she spat it back at me
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it  (Terry Pratchett)
CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline rsjudka

« Reply #181 on: Sep 23, 2017, 19:45:29 »
We had a bit of wind blowing and power went out (IRMA  ;D )

I hope everything is good for you down there!

You have something connected wrong if light works on park but not with ignition on. Could be the handlebar switch needs an ON-Off position or the power wire needs bridging inside switch or headlight bucket?
I think the problem was in the socket of the taillight, the two positive terminals we'rent aligning properly

Offline rsjudka

« Reply #182 on: Sep 23, 2017, 20:01:44 »
MOTORCYCLE HORROR STORY!!
Since I figured I got everything working on the bike, I would take it on a longer, faster ride than ever before. And it rode beautifully! I hit 60-65mph for a good open stretch of road.

I stopped for a bit and when I started on my way home, the bike was having trouble reaching over 40mph and started backfiring out of each muffler.

I stopped one more time on my way home to pick up some stuff from the store and when I went to start the bike it was dead. Not a single electrical thing was working on the bike (not even the horn!) I was able to kick start the bike and I was able to get home (still backfiring and maxing out at 40mph).

When I got home I checked the battery and it was at 12.5v

I checked all the wiring and everything is connected properly. Would the bike not starting with electric start and not being able to go over 40mph be related?

Also, what could be causes for the problems I'm having? I'm stumped in this one

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #183 on: Sep 23, 2017, 20:35:20 »
12.5 is a good level for a battery that's been sitting for at least a day, but fresh from a ride you should be over 13V.

If you can get things running with the kick starter, it might be worth measuring voltage across the battery terminals both at idle and again at around 4000 RPM.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline rsjudka

« Reply #184 on: Sep 23, 2017, 21:27:34 »

If you can get things running with the kick starter, it might be worth measuring voltage across the battery terminals both at idle and again at around 4000 RPM.

Okay so here is what I got:
Bike off: 12.2v
Bike idle: it just jumped around from 9v to 115v and everything in between
Bike at 4k: ~40v

I have no idea how to explain what's going on here

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #185 on: Today at 05:52:44 »
Check and clean wire connections to Reg/Rect including ground wires to frame lug.