XS750 to XS896 big bore

He was selling these as he had just got a set of Keihins to replace them!!!
BST36SS carbies arrived today - obvious why they were so cheap :-\
They are well and truly worn out. I will strip them down and see how bad they are. Could end up needing slides, guides, needles, tubes and o rings. In other word bucks!! I am going to put them as a possibility rather than a certainty to being fitted. The MkII's that I have are in excellent condition.
Ryan - the sling shot feature on the BST36SS appears to have an extra fuel rail and vacuum circuit? Did you block them off, as your photos don't show the extra tubes?? Reports are that the Sling Shot feature will not function without the vacuum from the airbox. So it will not be working on my bike.

Hey tim!

I'm running pods on mine (which are working perfectly, a little lean,need to big up the mains).
I left the air vents (black plastic fittings) open and put hoses on them....no problems with synchro or anything!
Slides should normally wear little but the needle normally 'ovals' out the needle seat...If you want I can look up where I ordered the orings.check if youre mixture screw tips are not stuck in their orifice!!

Oil cooler is now on, with hoses, which I will trim down later to neaten it up.
From the first photo you can see why the head flanges needed to be replaced. I purchased 90o bends to make up new interface flanges. Turns out that they needed to be 70o, which meant a number of cuts and tacks to get then back to 70o. All tacked together, but might get new 70o bends if I can to make it a neater job.
The "special" kick starter does clear the exhaust.

Attachments

• Triumph header.jpg
    Triumph header.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 90deg.jpg
    90deg.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 183
  • Far qtr.jpg
    Far qtr.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 505
  • Far qtr cls.jpg
    Far qtr cls.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 240
  • nr qtr cls.jpg
    nr qtr cls.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 537
  • far side.jpg
    far side.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 184
  • Kick start.jpg
    Kick start.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 198
Just got confirmation on the supply of a new set of rings to replace the broken compression ring. Very happy with the support offered by http://stores.ebay.com.au/cruzinimage-au320?_trksid=p2047675.l2563. If anyone is asking about big bore kits they are well worth contacting. The prices are much better than others on Ebay for exactly the same kits and their service is absolutely first class.
No "short cuts" this time, and I will use a ring compressor! :-[

I also use cruzinimage pistons, was very suspicious of both the seller and the noname pistons at first, but my machinist said they looked alright, and measured out very even.

The trimmers found some time to have a go at my seat. They made up the patterns and then a validation cover before they used the embroided panels. We are using Napa leather which will be fine as long as I stay out of the mud and rain. Vinyl would be more durable but just does not have the feel of good Napa leather.
I am thinking that it might look a little better if the "back lump: was extended forward about 25mm to line up better with the frame and shock transition. Any thoughts??
Any other comments or suggestions??
The back guard is going to be trimmed back a bit more after she has the roadworthy and is registered! Can be painful in Australia!!!

Attachments

• DSCF1906.jpg
    DSCF1906.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 192
  • DSCF1904.jpg
    DSCF1904.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCF1902.jpg
    DSCF1902.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 579
  • DSCF1905.jpg
    DSCF1905.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCF1903.jpg
    DSCF1903.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 184
Seat should be finished next week, I wanted to try my other tank. I think it is either an "E" or "F" version tank and it looks much better in the photos than the flesh. Planning to paint the previous tank silver, but not with the contrasting red or blue colour? Any thoughts??
Fitted the indicators. Happy with the rears but the front foul the frame on full lock, so I am going to have to change them tomorrow. They don't stand out, and blend in with the bike which is what I wanted.
I made up the bike lifter, as the bike does not have a centre stand. The lifter uses the centre stand pivot points. I was then able to get the rear caliper in and get the back wheel in the correct location.
There is possibly a problem getting the exhaust out past the brake pedal and foot peg. Foot pegs are coming from the US now. I have organised some new 70o bends for the headers, but could not source annealed 304 stainless tube so I am not sure how well they will turn out. Exhaust will be finalised once I have the foot pegs, so I know all the constraints.
360mm shockers have also been ordered, it will be great to get some shocks on and get a better picture of the finished bike.
I have seen a few people in other posts asking about removing rush from chrome parts. I soak them is diesel and then wire brush by hand. They come up very well. I will see if the foot pegs out of the US (salt) need such work.

Attachments

• DSCF1907.jpg
    DSCF1907.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 641
  • DSCF1908.jpg
    DSCF1908.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCF1909.jpg
    DSCF1909.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 622
  • DSCF1910.jpg
    DSCF1910.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCF1911.jpg
    DSCF1911.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 621
Hey Ryan
What did you do for the choke on the Mikuni BST36's?
What diameter pods fit the BST36's?
Thanks for your help.
Tim

XS750AU said:
Hey Ryan
What did you do for the choke on the Mikuni BST36's?
What diameter pods fit the BST36's?
Thanks for your help.
Tim
I didnt do anything yet.My friend Der Nanno bought a bowden puller from a lawn mawer and installed it.
IRC mine are 60MM in diameter,just measure the longer side of the oval and the round filter will adapt.Just make sure to trim back the rubber boot on the inside or it may block the air opening for the membrane.

Gesendet von meinem SM-A310F mit Tapatalk

Yup, one of those lawn-mower throttles did the trick perfectly. Or you get a left-side XV750/920/1000 switch cluster and swap out the bottom case to make it look like this:

IMG_5380.JPG

Filter-inlet has to be 63mm and yes, you may end up trimming the rubber part of it a bit.

You could, of course, go all in and dump the Triumph carbs in favour of a set of VM36s, which is what I did. There's some snowmobiles that use VM36 carbs, so they aren't more expensive than CV carbs, but you have to solder a lot of throttle cables and splitters etc.

dump the Triumph carbs in favour of a set of VM36s,

Guess we will have to line you (without the anchor) and Ryan up one day and see which carbies give the better performance! ;D

That's quite simple: The VM36s (I used to run Triumph carbs on my first XS triple sidecar), but the Triumph carbs are less hassle to install ;-)

Seat is now finished, very happy with it. But as I have said before the Napa leather is vulnerable to staining when handling in the shed. So it is not on the bike while I am working on it.

Attachments

• Final.jpg
    Final.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 446
Back
Top Bottom