CB350 Bagger Project

dynamitedave

dcclassiccycles.com
I really like the whole Harley bagger look right now. I've had an idea to do a CB350 bagger style for a few months and finally started it. I tubed some of the frame and made the rear a hard tail. Added some bags and I'm not sure which position the bat wing in the front will be at or if I'm going to use it at all. I like it though. It's an original Bates fairing made in 1966. The front fender is a rear moto guzzi fender that I cut two inches out of the middle. It covers the 21" wheel perfectly. The rear fender is two Harley FLH fenders cut and welded together.
I haven't decided which handle bars to use yet and this isn't the gas tank I'm going to use. I need a 1972 SL175 but I'm having trouble finding a decently priced one. I'm thinking the whole thing will be painted black or blue, I like the front fender blue.

Attachments

• bagger4.jpg
    bagger4.jpg
    840.2 KB · Views: 481
  • bagger3.jpg
    bagger3.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 473
  • bagger2.jpg
    bagger2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 445
  • bagger1.jpg
    bagger1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 480
  • bagger7.jpg
    bagger7.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 459
My 2 cents: first pictures nails the look - fairing ruins it. That being said,cool project. Keep up the good work.

I have to admit when I read this I was thinking OMG NO !!! But it might actually look pretty cool.. Not sold on the fairing either but keep at it !! That front fender might hit too, but I am sure you are just working things out right now ;)

Dude. That actually looks awesome, and I can't believe I'm saying that, since I am not a fan of baggers.

Except the fairing. Pitch the fairing. ;)

I dig the swept fenders, really seals the deal for me, but something doesn't look exactly right about the front the way it sits. Maybe it's too long in the front or just too low.

Definitely sub'd.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Thanks peeps. My original plan was to cut the bat wing down but after trying to figure out the cut lines I realized it wouldn't work right. I need a smaller fairing. I think I am going to go with no bat wing but keep the high rise handle bars.

Keep at it, this could look really neat when done, Baby bagger LOL. the batwing is way too big, there may be a smaller one out there you could try, I like the fenders a lot the seal the look perfectly.

I think a fairing is pretty mandatory if you're trying to homage/spoof/riff on the bagger aesthetic.

What about something smaller like this?

XLCR883F~1.jpg

(no windshield on these, either, right?)

hillsy said:
Sometimes going so far beyond stupid leads you back to awesome ;)

This is the best saying ever, I will quote it forever.

AgentX said:
I think a fairing is pretty mandatory if you're trying to homage/spoof/riff on the bagger aesthetic.

What about something smaller like this?

(no windshield on these, either, right?)

I have thought about using one of these. I'm not a fan of that one tho. I found a decent headlight that might make it look ok without a fairing.

I swear I have seen small bat wings in my internet searching for parts etc. I'll see if I can find one to link. It will look a lot better if you can find an appropriately sized fairing in a similar style to the Harley bat wing. It will be like a 3/4 size bagger.

I wonder if you could take something like this, and paint the bottom half to match the bike and look like the fairing and leave the top half as screen?

Attachments

• plexifairing-3-windshield-fairing.jpg
    plexifairing-3-windshield-fairing.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,240
make your own style without a fairing......it just doesnt look right with the fairing

Maritime said:
I swear I have seen small bat wings in my internet searching for parts etc. I'll see if I can find one to link. It will look a lot better if you can find an appropriately sized fairing in a similar style to the Harley bat wing. It will be like a 3/4 size bagger.

I found a fairing at Mid-Ohio vintage moto days that was for a CB350 and it looked huge too. The shape of them is pretty blah too. The bates batwing I have really has a great shape but it is too wide. If I found one close to 27" wide that would be great, that's how wide the bike is at the rear where the bags are. I'll keep looking but for now I'm proceeding with the intention of not using a front fairing.

Yep, that's cool too. I personally hate most of the fairings on touring bikes anyway, especially the really bad 70's vetter ones.

I reckon go with the old Batwing you have. With a screen it will look better (just a really short one).

Go full retard or go home ;D

Back
Top Bottom