www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 81 CB 750C  (Read 9802 times)

Offline CB MIKE

Re: 81 CB 750C
« Reply #20 on: Nov 05, 2016, 11:40:53 »
And so it begins... my winter project, complete rebuild. Today tank removed, carbs pulled, and carb disassembly has begun. I'm a noob so well see how this goes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using DO THE TON mobile app

81 CB750C

Offline lostinmiself

« Reply #21 on: Nov 06, 2016, 18:38:45 »
Why is a "C" model undesirable? I only ask since I picked up an 81 750 custom a couple weeks ago

Offline Cookie

• God help the child who grows out of everything
« Reply #22 on: Nov 06, 2016, 19:30:44 »
I don't know why anyone would outright call them "undesireable". The 'C' model outsold the 'K' and 'F' models combined, 2-1. Perhaps the huge popularity oft hem back in the day and the resultant market glut make the base and sport models appear "rare" 35 years later.
The Custom has different geometry than its siblings (actually they each have their own tweaks to the front end), set up to be more comfortable over longer trips. This unfortunately results in far less sporty handling than the Super Sport CB750F. To paraphrase Tony Foale, "everything is a compromise. The fastest, most razor sharp racing bikes  ever would be miserable on a long trip; the rider would be cramped and aching in places he didn't know he had, and his teeth would eventually be rattled out of his head. Conversely, the most comfortable touring bike would suffer greatly in a no-holds-barred road race."
The 750C is a sweet bike, but may not be the first choice for making into a performance oriented speed machine. Maybe better stock if you wanted to build a cb750 bobber or brat. The F is more geared towards the performance-minded (and not nearly as pleasant to take on trips, I have one of each). And the K could go either way, as I'd assume it's the middle-of-the-road setup.
* Insert something witty here *

81 CB750C
84 Tempter - well, most of it...

Offline MORK

• Back at er
« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2016, 20:14:15 »
Have fun with the carbs - they aren't nearly as hard as they initially look. There is a PDF that comes up on the first page of google search all about "CB750C carb rebuild" that you will want to follow if you haven't already.

Offline CB MIKE

« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2016, 21:16:23 »
Thanks Mork, I appreciate the encouragement, I actually printed that pdf a few days ago and went by that for my disassembly. Now I'm going to soak and clean everything then put it all back together once I get my kits in the mail. Any recommendations for chemicals to clean with, I picked up a spray carb cleaner but what should I soak them in? I've read pinesol anyone tried it?  Mork I've been following your build and it's coming along nicely, you've got a sweet looking ride that's along the lines of what I'm going for.

81 CB750C

Offline lostinmiself

« Reply #25 on: Nov 07, 2016, 00:11:04 »
I don't know why anyone would outright call them "undesireable". The 'C' model outsold the 'K' and 'F' models combined, 2-1. Perhaps the huge popularity oft hem back in the day and the resultant market glut make the base and sport models appear "rare" 35 years later.
The Custom has different geometry than its siblings (actually they each have their own tweaks to the front end), set up to be more comfortable over longer trips. This unfortunately results in far less sporty handling than the Super Sport CB750F. To paraphrase Tony Foale, "everything is a compromise. The fastest, most razor sharp racing bikes  ever would be miserable on a long trip; the rider would be cramped and aching in places he didn't know he had, and his teeth would eventually be rattled out of his head. Conversely, the most comfortable touring bike would suffer greatly in a no-holds-barred road race."
The 750C is a sweet bike, but may not be the first choice for making into a performance oriented speed machine. Maybe better stock if you wanted to build a cb750 bobber or brat. The F is more geared towards the performance-minded (and not nearly as pleasant to take on trips, I have one of each). And the K could go either way, as I'd assume it's the middle-of-the-road setup.

awh the "Rare" factor, im glad to hear that there isn't some flaw or something i was otherwise unaware of, ill keep it at that sorry to thread jack.

Offline J-Rod10

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Slipstream Cycle Works
« Reply #26 on: Nov 07, 2016, 14:49:49 »
Not so much undesirable as a whole. But, undesirable in that the frame geometry of the C doesn't fit well with building a "café racer."

Not much to do with rare or not.

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #27 on: Nov 07, 2016, 23:29:00 »

Thanks Mork, I appreciate the encouragement, I actually printed that pdf a few days ago and went by that for my disassembly. Now I'm going to soak and clean everything then put it all back together once I get my kits in the mail. Any recommendations for chemicals to clean with, I picked up a spray carb cleaner but what should I soak them in? I've read pinesol anyone tried it?  Mork I've been following your build and it's coming along nicely, you've got a sweet looking ride that's along the lines of what I'm going for.

I use Pinesol on almost all my aluminum parts, usually an overnight soak, hit with a toothbrush, rinse and repeat with a shorter soak the second time around.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
"He broke the mirrors off his Cadillac, 'cause he doesn't like it looking like he looks back."

74 CB360 - Luna - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=63294.0
82 GS550L - Tracker-ish - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=67229.0 - Sold
74 XL350 - The Turd - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70252.0
Suzuki FA50 "No-Ped" - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=71189.0
73 Suzuki RV125 -http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=73875.0

Offline CB MIKE

« Reply #28 on: Nov 07, 2016, 23:47:54 »
I use Pinesol on almost all my aluminum parts, usually an overnight soak, hit with a toothbrush, rinse and repeat with a shorter soak the second time around.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
Awesome I'll be soaking them Thursday and cleaning this weekend then!

81 CB750C

Offline cbrianroll

« Reply #29 on: Nov 08, 2016, 00:06:17 »
I've never used pine sol...I've always used simple green dilluted in an ultra sonic cleaner with much success. Cook them a bit, wash with hot water, Then I spray out passages with carb spray, then blast with air to dry and blow any that didn't come off with the spray.  I also hit the vacuum piston and chamber with brasso  to polish it super smooth. Good luck!