Animal Cruelty inside (and CB360 electrical stuff)

erock85

Been Around the Block
Time to beat the proverbial dead horse:

I am having charging issues with my '74 CB360, there it's out now. As much as we have gone over this on the boards I have gone over it on my bike. And usually with the same end result, something will work for a little while then go back to not working.
Little history of the bike, has GSXR front end(yes I know), GSXR front controls, halogen headlight on all the time, all stator phases active all the time, new reg/rec from sparck, xs650 coils with new condenser, new lithium battery just purchased yesterday after going through 2 AGM batteries in 2 years, always keep on a tender(kind of have to with the weird charging issues).
Issue(s): Battery will not charge on longer trips.
I get good AC from stator, if i remember correctly between 27-35v, when the bike is at idle the battery reads 12.7-12.8v. @ 3000rpm ~13.08-13.1v and climbs a little more but never reaches 14v or so I don't believe. Bike starts fine every time usually on the second crank of the starter. I have tested pretty much everything, even pulled the stator out and put some silicone on the wires that appeared bare just in case they were shorting out, but they never were, just preventive.
This problem has existed with all the batteries I have purchased, I have gotten very good at remembering to just plug in the tender every night. And now that I have purchased a lithium battery I need to fix it for good so the battery doesn't die(kind of expensive).
So I need advise for what to do next, or what to replace next

What's the wattage rating on your halogen bulb? Is is the one that came with the GSXR front end?

Sonreir said:
What's the wattage rating on your halogen bulb? Is is the one that came with the GSXR front end?
I'm not sure, it is a 7" bucket style reminiscent of the CB360 stock version. ebay special. I'll have to check the bulb in it. However, on the same note I do have a LED bulb on order as suggested many times. I was going to put a switch in to kill the light for certain situations but first I want to see how the LED bulb does. It is a 26w bulb.

Hmmm... I've never heard of a 26W halogen headlight bulb in an H4 format. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but it might also be incorrect. How bright is it?

erock85 said:
Sonreir said:
Hmmm... I've never heard of a 26W halogen headlight bulb in an H4 format. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but it might also be incorrect. How bright is it?
first I want to see how the LED bulb does. It is a 26w bulb.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inlink-Motorcycle-Headlight-Motorbike-Replacement/dp/B01J7OLIUU

deviant said:
first I want to see how the LED bulb does. It is a 26w bulb.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inlink-Motorcycle-Headlight-Motorbike-Replacement/dp/B01J7OLIUU
yup, that's the one.
I checked my H4 Halogen and it's a 55w type

Sonreir said:
So here's the scoop on those...

They're all bad.

I used to import these things from China (there is pretty much only one factory in the world that makes them, no joke) and all was good.

Then, about a year ago, someone at the factory fucked up and started putting the DOHC regulators into the SOHC line. The units had all the right wires for the SOHC units, but the behavior was like the units designed for the DOHC models. At this point, I stopped selling them to the general public because they're no longer plug and play. I would have figured that other distributors would have found this point by now, but when you buy from China there are no returns and it can sometimes suck to have to eat a few grand in product costs.

They can still be made to work with a little bit of wiring, however.

First up, you're going to need to bypass the subharness on your bike. The new R/R will need to be plugged directly into the alternator plug and not go through the main harness or the subharness.

From the unit to the alternator:
White to green
Yellow to yellow

From the unit to the battery:
Red to battery positive
Green to battery negative (you can also use the green wire leftover after disconnecting the old regulator)

This leaves just the black wire on the R/R. This will needs to connect to two different places, so it will need to be spliced. First, it should connect to the white wire in the alternator plug, but it will also need to connect to a black wire in the harness (the leftover black wire that connected to the old regulator is a good spot).

Make sense?
Sonreir,
How do you recommend wiring your single phase reg/rec? I believe I wired according to your site, pretty much plug n play. Is there a need to splice the black as indicated? Is there any difference in wiring for a lithium battery? Thanks as always

erock85 said:
yup, that's the one.
I checked my H4 Halogen and it's a 55w type
This is likely to be your problem. The Honda 360 doesn't make enough juice to run a 55W bulb.

erock85 said:
Sonreir,
How do you recommend wiring your single phase reg/rec? I believe I wired according to your site, pretty much plug n play. Is there a need to splice the black as indicated? Is there any difference in wiring for a lithium battery? Thanks as always

For LI-ION, our earlier design of our R/R had a different wiring for the black wire, but the newer ones it's all the same. Black wire goes to any other black wire in the harness. I generally use the black wire left after removing the old regulator from the bottom of the battery box.

Sonreir said:
This is likely to be your problem. The Honda 360 doesn't make enough juice to run a 55W bulb.
well shoot, good to know. that LED should help out a lot then.
For LI-ION, our earlier design of our R/R had a different wiring for the black wire, but the newer ones it's all the same. Black wire goes to any other black wire in the harness. I generally use the black wire left after removing the old regulator from the bottom of the battery box.
So here's the thing, I got one of the first batch ones a long time ago Feb '14, and I also got a replacement in Oct '14. So I assume the black wire should be wired directly to the (+) terminal on the battery, correct? It is currently as you mentioned, wired to the left over black from the old Reg.

I received my new LED light in the post yesterday and now I get about 13.5-13.6 @ ~3-4k rpm sitting in the garage. That seems about right, I think.

Back
Top Bottom