WIRES AND STATORS AND COILS OHHHH MY

hellorhighwater

Here goes nothing.

I just bought a basket case of a cb125 that obviously does not run.
This is going to be a bare bones wiring set up.
Nothing but spark, air and fuel on this bike.
It didn't come with much which is not a big deal as I don't want much on it.
But it came with just enough to confuse the hell out of me.
After about a week of looking things up on this forum and on the rest of the dam web I finally felt like I had a good enough grasp to make my own wiring diagram.
I crossed referenced a cg125es-4 diagram that ran a CDI on it which is here.
honda-5-wire-cdi-125-wiring-diagram-l-fa0be09c1f3715ef.jpg

and this awesome diagram here
Screen%20Shot%202016-10-05%20at%2010.38.30%20PM_zpspsdd53kb.png

and managed to make this..
nobswiring_zpsx1vg88xw.jpg

This is what I physically have to work with at the moment.
20161003_140859_zpse2af5lsc.jpg

20161003_140904_zpsmfjem8jd.jpg

20161003_141054_zpso1ckafl5.jpg

20161003_141105_zpspbylovjr.jpg

20161003_141126_zps5z0anurd.jpg

20161003_141147_zps10mqzx7r.jpg

20161002_125139_zpsjgxwc0ze.jpg

20161002_110024_zpsxnuf5uxj.jpg

Also still trying to figure out what kind of stator I can put in this thing because the wires are not color coded and who the hell know whether it even works or not.
If anyone has a good suggestion on a stator that would be a good 6v swap on this motor I would GREATLY appreciate it.

bottom line... do you guys think that is is going to work?

OK... so the color diagram you're referencing will need a couple of changes.

First up, since you're using a CDI ignition, power doesn't run to the coils, so the kill switch should, instead, ground out the CDI box (that's the black/white wire coming from the CDI).

And if you're not needing the lights, you won't need the battery. The CDI is powered directly from the black/red wire from the stator. The white and yellow wires from the stator can be capped off to avoid causing a short. You won't need those wires unless you're running something besides the ignition system.

Short version of what you need to do with the CDI box:
Blue/yellow to ignition pickup
Green to ground
Black/white to kill switch (grounding this wire turns off the bike)
Yellow to ignition coil

From the ignition coil, ground the green wire

From the CDI pickup, ground the green wire

YOUR THE MAN!!
Thanks a bunch

I went ahead and updated the diagram.

How does this look?
nobswiringupdate_zps7fp1bubu.png

Also, does have or know anywhere I can find a new (or referbished) stator of this style that actually has color coded wires. (
20161003_141054_zpso1ckafl5.jpg

I found this one from a ct110 you think it will work/have the same color coding on it?
http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/1982-1986-Honda-CT110-CT-110-Stator

Looks pretty good.

You shouldn't need that extra green wire from the pickup to the CDI, though. Just ground the green from the pickup and you're good.

Hell yea! We got juice.
This worked out great.
I found the ground some miraculous way coming out of the stator and grounded it to the frame. Then started cranking it over untill I found the wire that was pumping out the most volts(peaking around 40). Then alligator clipped that to the black and red CDI wire to give it power. Then referencing my wiring diagram attach the CDI wires where they had to go. I found the wire that was pumping out the most electricity out of the CDI and alligator clipped that to my coil.. Found out no juice was coming out of the coil and then bench test a coil and there was no resistance coming through it so looks like coil is bad.

So this diagram helped me diagnose the ignitiom system super easy.

Now i just have to find an igntion coil amd should get some spark

Thanks again.

This is what it all looked like. Praise baby jesus for aligator clips!
20161008_140735_zpsfpdf7ynh.jpg

So i didnt need a new stator after all...

Moral of the story: old rusty junk does not always need to be replaced!

For the last couple of days, I have been testing the hell out of my ignition system.

I am getting no spark.

Power is coming out of the stator,
Power is coming out of the CDI,
Resistance is spec on the stator, cdi, and coil.
I bench tested the coil, and also hooked a battery up to it and got it to spark.
There has to be something wrong with his wiring diagram.

Anyone else run a battery-less ignition system that can shed any light on this issue?

I am testing the voltage coming out of it when I am kicking it over. (the wire that connects to the coil)

I have tested it for DC and get around 12-16 volts with a good kick.

The weird part is that it does not matter if the black and white wire is grounded or not or even if the damn pickup coil wires are connected to it. I am still getting voltage out of the CDI.

hellorhighwater said:
The weird part is that it does not matter if the black and white wire is grounded or not or even if the damn pickup coil wires are connected to it. I am still getting voltage out of the CDI.

Yeah, you will. You should see steadyish voltage from the green wire and the high voltage pulses on the yellow. Probably some level of voltage on the black/white, too.

Try... Black wire from motor to kill > two blacks from kill to coil and cdi > open kill and check spark.

Back
Top Bottom