www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: NX650 Urban Dual Sport  (Read 4205 times)

Offline flip_rip

NX650 Urban Dual Sport
« on: Nov 04, 2016, 19:22:51 »
Hey Guys!

I'm new to this posting, but have been poking around here for a while now. I've started a build on a somewhat unique 1988 Honda NX650. I've had it since May, and is now going under the knife to make it exactly what I want.

Some cool background/specs.
-Bought in West Hollywood for $1000 - yup $1k for a running motorcycle
-Ex-Stunt bike for a James Bond film (this is what the previous owner told me, I haven't been able to find evidence of it in any film)
-Spent most of its life boxed up in Big Bear - Only 17k original miles
-Dropped on both sides off road

So thats where it started! The plastics were really beat up, along with dents in the tank. I knew that think bike was destined for a better life. And thats where I came in!

Originally wanted to just swap the plastics out for a headlight and new tank plus a custom seat and call it done, but after a few turns in life, the winds of change have lead me to tear it all apart and build something special.

Here are photos of its transformation:
-The start of it all
-Taking it off road
-The first attempt at a "build"
-Diving in deep and doing it the proper way

I'm doing all the work at Lucky Wheels Garage in LA, hands down one of the best DIY shops in the world. This being my first build, I know I'll make a ton of mistakes but I'm excited to take it on.

I like to take a bunch of photos, so this might just turn into a weird flip book thing. But at least now I have documentation on the internet!

Thanks!
Philip

Offline flip_rip

Re: NX650 Urban Dual Sport
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2016, 19:50:51 »
Its got a long ways to go, but here are the things I've changed that will stay the same moving forward:

-Black wheels
-Shinko 804/805 tires - Actucally much better than expected. We took it off road at Hungry Valley and it did really well!
-Renthal Bars
-Tank from a '78 XL500
-Braided brake line + HH pads
-ODI grips/Throttle tube
-Baja LED lights (one for high beam (spot beam) one for low (flood beam)
-Cycra supermoto front fender
-Did X ring chain/ new sprockets - stock gearing 15/41
-Smog kit removal

Mods to come:
-41 FCR MX upgrade  - woo woo!
-Custom seat and rear end
-Custom cleaned up dash
-Clean wiring harness

The idea I have in my head is an Urban Dual sport with supermoto and scrambler influences....if that even makes sense haha. I pretty much want to jump curbs, wheelie around the city, and never have an excuse not to take the long way home, even if it takes me to Baja. This isnt meant to be a show bike...I really want to rally this thing!

Offline Kamn

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2016, 20:22:02 »
Im diggin it ma man
Was looking at a NX650 just yesterday and was thinking about getting my hands on one

Nice is all I can say
Cheers
'82 Kawi GPZ550

'73 CB750 K3 (needs restoration)

Offline cbrianroll

« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2016, 20:59:23 »
I'm digging it too! I like your plan, I may need to start looking for one to build ha ha

Offline flip_rip

« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2016, 13:47:52 »
Thanks so much guys! I appreciate the support! Its an interesting bike, but I like how its coming along so far. Cleared a few of the main hurdles yesterday, the main one being learning how to weld haha! The guys at Lucky Wheels were amazing and walked me through the steps to being a good MIG welder, and 5 hours later I had part of a subframe attached!!

Pics below!

Next up is adding the horizontal supports, then adding the battery mount and electronics box. One thing we did, was reinforce the frame where the subframe attached, so its a super solid connection, and should add quite a bit of durability.

Offline JustinLonghorn

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • No Purple Hearts, No Blue Ribbons
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2016, 14:35:10 »
I'm on board.
I'm going to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

Into The Sunset, CB750 build

TT500 the Animal

Online Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2016, 15:09:44 »
Nice, sign me up.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline flip_rip

« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2016, 16:11:25 »
Alright. Made some solid progress last night. Not much to show, but it was getting a whole bunch of little stuff done to make my life easier down the road.

I decided to pull the motor. I was hoping to avoid it...cause I'm lazy...but decided to just do it. Made welding the frame reinforcements much easier, and now I'll probably end up cleaning and painting the motor.

I'm still working on my welding skills, so I ended up grinding most of them smooth because they looked awful haha, but I was able to get good FUSION OF METALS! haha. I really do like welding, I'm excited to do way more of it.

I measured and started cutting the horizontal braces for the rear subframe, but had to get home before I was able to finish. I'm hoping to knock that out tonight, then I can start tacking in seat mounting points, exhaust mounting points, battery box locations and such.

I think I'm gonna paint the motor a nice bright silver color. Then do the in the same color it is stock. I might add touches of red and black to the motor to make it pop a bit. Then on the case covers, I'm planning to do a slightly more gold color than the current Honda bronze. I just did a valve clearance check before I did the subframe, and a compression check on the motor. Everything is super solid there, and with only 17k miles on it, I don't feel the need to tear into it. The new carb should give it plenty of kick, plus after everything I've hacked off, it'll be quite a bit lighter.

Alright...onto more photos! Also take it easy on my welding/grinding skills...still working on that..haha

Offline flip_rip

« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2016, 16:43:20 »
Also! got some cool stuff in the mail. I plan on cleaning up the wiring on this bike. I cant stand wires just hanging out everywhere, but I do want this to be street legal.

I found this nifty controller that is MotoGP'-esque and has all the functions I need, but in a lower profile package compared to what is currently on the bike. Also the current controls are faded, so its a win-win. In the photo it looks a little bit, but its actually really nice and compact.