www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: NX650 Urban Dual Sport  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Ross.

• over there.....
    • Wrench'n Ride'n
Re: NX650 Urban Dual Sport
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2016, 06:50:54 »
Love were this is going.
My W'nR'n blog....http://rossmz.blogspot.com/

#japstyle Rusty the Yammie Scorpio (now sold) -
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=72970.0

Bender (now sold) - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70756.0

Suzuki DR500 Tracker (now sold) -http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=72517.0

"Pistoncino" the Gilera 106Speciale Strada  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=71526

Offline flip_rip

« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2016, 15:47:20 »
I decided that performance and looks again won over being practical with my bank account....

I ordered an XRs Only header pipe (the one for the XR600), and got some stainless tubes to custom make the connection between the new header and the mufflers.

Its gonna be a bit unique, it'll be a 2 into 1 into 2 exhaust. Its has some flat track influence. Attached is an incredibly crappy job of mashing up what I have in my head for the 2 into 1 into 2 setup. Everything is ordered so hopefully I can get it welded up asap! It'll for sure be unique, and hold the same design cues as the stock NX650 dual exhaust, but also adds a bit of performance and style.

Other than that, I've just been cleaning up little things here and there as far as wiring goes. So no cool photo stuff yet, just making it more professional looking. Its all in the details.

All the electrical is working amazing on the simplified wiring harness. Lots of soldering and heat shrink! But I like clean and tidy wiring, so I don't mind the tediousness of it.

A rear fender is next on the list. I just need to buy one and chop it up. Then install the rear brake light and were on the road!

I need to have the tank painted. I think I want to do a gloss white with some vintage honda decals, and maybe some Dominator text that looks like its from the 80s haha.

Anyways, here is a representation of what is in my head, and hopefully I can make it real life!

Also! Last note.... started it up last night! I just had the stock headers so it wasn't fully ready, but it idled well and for sure has some good grunt to it! I CANT WAIT to get back to riding this thing. Its been far too long.

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2016, 17:54:58 »
That is looking so tight, nice work flipper  :D

Zorst could snake behind/through the seat subframe triangle and exit under or to the aide of the seat, much like you have mocked up.

Decals - I see stencil style with an irregular three tone stripe across the tank, maybe black/red/white?

Either way, crack on fella.

Offline flip_rip

« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2016, 18:22:38 »
Thanks NoRiders!

Hmmm.....stencil and stripes sounds pretty solid. I need to be friends with a graphic designer to make some mock up stuff haha.

I was already thinking white for the tank, so it would be cool to add some red back into the scheme.

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2016, 18:27:03 »
Thanks NoRiders!

Hmmm.....stencil and stripes sounds pretty solid. I need to be friends with a graphic designer to make some mock up stuff haha.

I was already thinking white for the tank, so it would be cool to add some red back into the scheme.

I bought some cheap number decals off ebay, you can get various sizes and mix n match them. White tank with stripes will look wicked I reckon.

Offline flip_rip

« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2017, 02:36:19 »
Alright alright! Sorry its been so long. A TON has been buttoned up on the NX. Battery box and new lightweight battery are all installed. Wiring is all clean. EXHAUST IS FINISHED! Man I'm stoked on that. First time TIG welding exhaust and it turned out not half bad. No leaks! So that was awesome. All the little things are finally adding up to a lot of progress.

I have just photos for days here. And a final rendering (I did it before I finished the exhaust) to show the simple color scheme I have in mind.

I was able to take it for a test ride and man that thing rips. Its absolutely fantastic. So much low end grunt! Only bummer is that there is a leak in the intake manifold, so a new one is on order. Then just need to rejet it and I should be up and running!

Then paint, making a rear fender, hard mounting the taillight, and getting the gauges set and its time for a proper photo shoot!

Oh - also.....I picked up another project bike! 1978 KZ650 will be next on the chopping block! I want to make myself a fun little city bike that will look really really cool with a girl on the back haha. Just a coffee shop cruiser haha.

Anyways.....photos!
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2017, 02:44:19 by flip_rip »

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2017, 04:53:09 »
Nice work on that exhaust. I am partial to the kz650s, great bikes. Ive had 2 and am working on a buddies right now, what are your plans for that?
---------------------------------
'78 KZ1000  Project

'80 KZ750 Twin Project

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2017, 11:00:32 »
Nice job, I like it.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline flip_rip

« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2017, 13:48:26 »
Thanks guys!

Plan for the KZ is switching the ignition system over to a Dyna S and upgrade to the good coils and a 3 phase charging system. Then probably do some head work to clean it up a bit, and make it run a bit smoother. All cylinders have really good compression, but going to some triple angle valve seats and port and polishing should help. Then I'll simplify the wiring harness (PO attempted this and ended up stripping everything out, and now its a mess) so I'll clean up all that crap, rebuild the carbs (already has pod filters) but will probably forego turn signals and any handle bar switches. Hopefully can make some pretty trick hidden buttons for starter and kill switches. Then some nice sticky tires, chop and loop the frame, custom smaller 2 up seat, new shocks, new headlight, new gauges. The overall plan is to keep it pretty lightweight and very minimal.

More of a tracker vibes I guess. I have a set of Renthal UltraLows that I'll throw on. I just can't do the clip ons haha. Too low for me! Lots of cleaning and paining and just keeping things fresh. Oh and a gold chain, have to have a gold chain haha. I'll make a nice small battery box to open up the rear subframe and should have a fun little city cruiser. I'd like to do a tail piece that mimics the stock one, but in a much more subtle way, but we'll see how that goes. I just like that duck tail haha.

I'll get a thread going for that one too. As soon as the NX is running properly and on the road, I'll switch focus to building the KZ.

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2017, 14:54:23 »
the tail piece on the 650 is the best part IMO. I personally think all these bikes really need to look awesome is a rear fender delete, and the smaller kz1000ltd fender up front
---------------------------------
'78 KZ1000  Project

'80 KZ750 Twin Project