www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: NX650 Urban Dual Sport  (Read 4197 times)

Offline flip_rip

Re: NX650 Urban Dual Sport
« Reply #30 on: Jan 10, 2017, 15:39:44 »
I totally agree! My KZ's PO decided that the front fender was too much for them and has since been removed. I might be on the lookout for one of the KZ100ldt fenders now!

What are your thoughts on smaller wheels on the KZ? I see that you've done some swaps on yours. How does the bike ride after? I know 18f/17r tires are much easier to come by and wheels can be made lighter going that route, but wanted to get some of your insight on that.

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
« Reply #31 on: Jan 11, 2017, 01:04:15 »
The 1000ltd fender is great I put one my KZ750 project as well.

its a fairly common mod on the KZ1000's to drop to a 18" front. The problem on the 1000 is the motor is VERY wide so any height you loose translates to less of a lean angle. I haven't ridden it yet so I cant comment, but I can tell you my geometry has gotten more aggressive. The 1000 now has 24.5 degrees of rake, 104mm of trail, less fork offset, and custom 2" over shocks. wheelbase has been shortened 1.5" This is similar to what I have seen other guys doing that claim good results and on paper it should work nicely. so I'm hoping it will work well in reality as it is close to the ZRX1200 dimensions. I plan on having to tweak the suspension a bit down the road, maybe change the fork offset/height with custom drop trees.

The kz650 is geometry is setup pretty good from the factory. very nimble and light. On my last kz650 with stock geometry and a pair of hagon shocks I could drag the stock footpegs and stock exhaust on the street if i was giving it the beans, but for regular street riding it never was an issue.
obviously if you lower the bike with smaller wheels you will need to address the pegs and exhaust for sure.

I don't know what your goals are with this bike but if its performance you seek I wouldn't deviate too far from stock geometry. I would be inclined to go with 18" wheels front and back. That will make the geometry a little more aggressive with out sacrificing too much ride height. If you go with 17" wheels there will be more things that need to be addressed if you plan on riding hard, I wouldn't go too fat here as fatter tires require more lean angle, and you've lowered it already at this point.

Ultimately it really depends on how you see yourself using the bike. If you're just gonna cruise do whatever you want. If you want to get the bike to perform better on the road there is a very specific route I would go. we can get into that in another thread if you like.

« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2017, 05:26:55 by doc_rot »
---------------------------------
'78 KZ1000  Project

'80 KZ750 Twin Project

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #32 on: Jan 11, 2017, 01:43:58 »
btw, is this a community shop you are working out of? I'm digging that Aprilia, looks fun.
'78 KZ1000  Project

'80 KZ750 Twin Project

Offline flip_rip

« Reply #33 on: Jan 11, 2017, 13:43:37 »
I would love the KZ to be a canyon ripper. I lean more toward performance rather than looks. I would love to just rally this bike, maybe a 18in setup and sounds like longer rear shocks are the way to go.

Which thread should we move to? Would love to get more conversation going on this!

Also - yup! Its a community DIY shop. Its called Lucky Wheels Garage in Downtown Los Angeles. The Aprilia is another members bike. Man its so sick haha, although I'll always favor the Ducati Hypermotard.

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #34 on: Jan 11, 2017, 14:51:04 »
Start a thread for your kz project
'78 KZ1000  Project

'80 KZ750 Twin Project

Offline flip_rip

« Reply #35 on: Jan 17, 2017, 01:00:53 »
Well its not quite buttoned up but it runs! Any by runs, I mean it flies like a gosh darn bird! It is a straight up wheelie machine. 1st is basically for looping the bike, 2nd gear you cant keep the front wheel on the ground, and 3rd is just a hoot. I really can't believe it turned out. So far everyone that has ridden it has come back with a giant grin, and that's exactly what I want a bike to do.

Still sorting out an air leak in the boot. Turns out "overnight parts from japan" is only a car thing, and I have to wait 2 weeks to get a new intake boot. For now jetting is close enough to ride, but it'll stumble at idle.

Since I now have a running bike, this project will take a bit of a back seat to the KZ build. I still need to find a painter to do the tank and rear fender (which I still need to make) and tear apart everything and repaint the frame (didn't turn out that great and it needs some love). I also have visions of doing some kind of mini side covers to hide the electrical too. The current zip tie situation is to much of a situation for my taste, but I was too excited to ride it haha. Bolts and safety wire and lots of loctite still need to be applied.

Also its stupid stupid loud. Like so loud I'll have to plan when and where I ride it, so that exhaust might be coming off and replaced with something else. Gobs of power, but too loud for me.

But its good at what I intended it to be, and wheelie and skid machine that I could jump curbs and take anywhere.

I think a few more things will be done just to button it up after the carb is finished, and its time to take this thing to Baja! I'll see if I can post a video link here for sound.

Photos of the semi complete bike. I think in the next few weeks I'll finish up the little things and get a proper photo shoot of it......or maybe I should just man up and finish it the right way and be done.....

Offline coyote13

« Reply #36 on: Jan 17, 2017, 15:08:57 »
Saw that last shot on Biltwell's Insta.  Looking good Mr. World Famous!
Half the fun's in the get there...

Offline flip_rip

« Reply #37 on: Jan 17, 2017, 15:13:02 »
Haha thank you thank you, you're too kind! I was lucky enough to get to know the Biltwell guys on a trip to Baja with them last year.

Offline coyote13

« Reply #38 on: Jan 17, 2017, 15:22:57 »
El Diablo Run?  Always wanted to do it but it's a long ass haul from Dallas to SD to Ensenada to....wherever it is they always end up, La Paz maybe? and I don't have that kind of time to go ripping around the continent.  Some guys have all the luck!
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2017, 15:24:34 by coyote13 »
Half the fun's in the get there...

Offline flip_rip

« Reply #39 on: Jan 17, 2017, 17:12:34 »
Ah no I wish! Thats on my list for this year! We went for an Automobile Mag story on the Honda Ridgeline.

I'm also very lucky to have an understanding boss haha.