Doing a rain dance

haircuttergirl

Over 1,000 Posts

If you're the type to send good vibes, well wishes, prayers, etc... We need them now.
Our area is being taken over by fire and a large portion of my neighboring community is under mandatory evacuation. We haven't had rain since early September and we desperately need it. In a matter of a few days, the fire is now covering 2800+ acres and is only 15% contained. Firefighters from surrounding states are being called in to help. As of today we have 250-300 fighting this fire. It jumped the containment lines last night and doubled in size.
We've had a huge outpouring of love from the community in the way of donations and volunteers.
We need rain though.
Again, prayers, well wishes, good vibes... we'll take em all. Extra hugs if you do a rain dance.

http://wlos.com/news/local/party-rock-fire-grows-to-2883-acres-containment-still-at-15-percent

Thoughts and prayers to you and all your community, rain dance done not sure what the neighbours made of it , also washed the car cos it always rains after hope if falls your way Hon stay safe peeps .

Best wishes to you and Mr E, Jen. Have been following these fires on the news.

I did attempt a rain dance, but one bare foot landed on a sharp stone and then I managed to step into a pile of dog doo. That was the start of gyrations that ought to have you needing the shop manual for an early Noah's Ark. (with clubman bars.)

E and jenn if you guys need help or have to evacuate give me a call

if you need we have room for you

julian.allard66 said:
That's not good, pity we can't send some of our rain and cold to you, it's turned into dismal winter here in the UK

beachcomber said:
Be safe girl, my best wishes and thoughts go out to you all.

yorkie350 said:
Thoughts and prayers to you and all your community, rain dance done not sure what the neighbours made of it , also washed the car cos it always rains after hope if falls your way Hon stay safe peeps .

ridesolo said:
Best wishes to you and Mr E, Jen. Have been following these fires on the news.

I did attempt a rain dance, but one bare foot landed on a sharp stone and then I managed to step into a pile of dog doo. That was the start of gyrations that ought to have you needing the shop manual for an early Noah's Ark. (with clubman bars.)

cxman said:
E and jenn if you guys need help or have to evacuate give me a call

if you need we have room for you

Thank you guys. The fire is now threatening Chimney Rock Village in addition to Lake Lure. This is a historic area and it is heartwrenching to see it destroyed. One of the little claims to fame you guys might be familiar with is this is where Dirty Dancing was filmed, as well as the last 17 minutes of Last of the Mohicans.

Most infuriating is that this is suspected arson.

This is the most comprehensive update I've seen on the fires:
https://www.romanticasheville.com/forest-fire

I'm assisting with the coordination of volunteer/donation efforts.

Keep sending those happy thoughts and prayers. *hugs*

I can't imagine the threat of a fire destroying my community. Best wishes to you and your loved ones and community.

If you need a place to stay, you are very welcome at our house. We are 20 miles west of Atlanta on I-20. You should have my address from the patch/sticker sales, but if you need it or the phone number send me a PM. Hope you and Mr. E stay safe.

cbrianroll said:
I can't imagine the threat of a fire destroying my community. Best wishes to you and your loved ones and community.

Rider52 said:
If you need a place to stay, you are very welcome at our house. We are 20 miles west of Atlanta on I-20. You should have my address from the patch/sticker sales, but if you need it or the phone number send me a PM. Hope you and Mr. E stay safe.
You guys are restoring my faith in humanity. Thank you.

Re: Doing a rain dance-- Update

It's been a long day. We now have 3,457 acres burning. I've got a mini command center set up at home.
As of today, we have over 30 donation dropoffs in the area, coordinating them with local fire departments. We have 7 shelters set up for evacuees and multiple areas of lodging arranged for the hundreds of out of town firefighters here to help us. We have two spots set up for firefighters to be served breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Tomorrow I'll be serving at one location and continuing trying to get local restaurants to donate meals for these folks.
I've been on the phone with county emergency managers, NC Forestry service, mayors offices, volunteers, donation dropoff locations, churches, fire departments, grocery stores, restaurants, and radio stations today. Seeing these people pull together for this community... my community... has been beautiful and heartwrenching all at the same time.
These people and the many kind folks who have reached out to offer assistance are reminding me that there ARE good people in the world. It's restoring my faith in humanity.

Thank you for the kind messages and gestures. You guys really are the best.

Jenn

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

FB_IMG_1479090118484.jpg

Re: Doing a rain dance- PS

If anyone is interested in checking our page out or following the progression of the fire, volunteer efforts, etc:
https://www.facebook.com/LakeLureFire/

I'll be praying for you all. I lived in Rutherfordton for 10 years. SD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow I just saw this on the local news page and immediately thought hope Jenn, E and Mal are ok. We'll pray for some rain from up here and let us know if we can do anything else.

Seanpd said:
I'll be praying for you all. I lived in Rutherfordton for 10 years. SD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maritime said:
Wow I just saw this on the local news page and immediately thought hope Jenn, E and Mal are ok. We'll pray for some rain from up here and let us know if we can do anything else.
Thank you guys.
I was on-location at one of the fire departments yesterday and was amazed at the community participation. They are fully stocked on all the donation items I've been requesting and are still taking them in truckloads. Yesterday I began setting up a network amongst the fire stations to coordinate getting the donated items to the departments that need them most.
We have a meal schedule going that provides breakfast, lunch, and dinner to the fire team daily- and it's thanks to community members that are cooking the meals themselves and restaurants that have donated meals.
I am coordinating Thanksgiving dinner for the firefighters and have an awesome team working with me on it. Our local Sheriff offered all his resources to make the dinner happen- it's a tremendous blessing to have his support. We are nailing down specifics, but the plan is to have a buffet style Thanksgiving dinner for the folks that can come in for it and we will be sending food in to-go boxes to the folks working the line.
There's such an outpouring of love here that it continues restoring my faith in humanity. Yesterday I received hundreds of messages from folks wanting to help in any possible way. We have massage therapists coming in tonight to work on the fire team, folks bringing truckloads of donations on a daily basis, over 50 donation dropoffs, and so on. It would take forever to list all the awesome things I'm witnessing in the midst of this awful situation.
Thank you for checking in. I appreciate you guys.

Haircutttergirl where were you again, N.C.? Here in north Georgia we are just covered in smoke from the forest fires that have been raging for awhile now. We are 30 days into a 33 day record for consecutive days without rain, and no rain in sight anytime soon. We will easily break the record.
Monday night I had just fallen asleep around 3am when a violent pounding on my front door awakened me. I ran to see what was up with gun in hand to find my neighbor at the door telling me half my yard was up in flames. It was a strange feeling walking out the front door to see the perimeter of my property in 4'-6' flames. I immediately ran out in my underwear and grabber the water hose as the fire was within 20' of the garage door that houses the bikes in the drive in basement of my house. Fought it for about 15 minutes thinking I could get it out. I yelled to the neighbor to grab and man the hose while I ran in and put some clothes on. By the time I got back out there the fire department had arrived and after about 30-45 minutes they had it contained. No way I could have put it out with my garden hose. It burn a good section of the property and torched my race car trailer. All in all what could have been devastating ended up being a minor brush fire. If not for my buddy, the neighbors Pit Bull, raising hell and waking his owner to check on what was riling him it could have been serious.

This how close it got to the house and shop;

Time to reskin the trailer and put new tires on it. I called the insurance company and find that I have a $1000 deductible and a $385 a year discount on my insurance for no claims. So filing a claim would be foolish.

Aerial view of the north Georgia area right now, none of those are clouds.

All you guys & gals still in our thoughts over here am still praying for rain for you too, o1marc sure was a close one lets hope that its now passed you by, keep strong wish I could do more

o1marc said:
Haircutttergirl where were you again, N.C.? Here in north Georgia we are just covered in smoke from the forest fires that have been raging for awhile now. We are 30 days into a 33 day record for consecutive days without rain, and no rain in sight anytime soon. We will easily break the record.
Monday night I had just fallen asleep around 3am when a violent pounding on my front door awakened me. I ran to see what was up with gun in hand to find my neighbor at the door telling me half my yard was up in flames. It was a strange feeling walking out the front door to see the perimeter of my property in 4'-6' flames. I immediately ran out in my underwear and grabber the water hose as the fire was within 20' of the garage door that houses the bikes in the drive in basement of my house. Fought it for about 15 minutes thinking I could get it out. I yelled to the neighbor to grab and man the hose while I ran in and put some clothes on. By the time I got back out there the fire department had arrived and after about 30-45 minutes they had it contained. No way I could have put it out with my garden hose. It burn a good section of the property and torched my race car trailer. All in all what could have been devastating ended up being a minor brush fire. If not for my buddy, the neighbors Pit Bull, raising hell and waking his owner to check on what was riling him it could have been serious.

This how close it got to the house and shop;

Time to reskin the trailer and put new tires on it. I called the insurance company and find that I have a $1000 deductible and a $385 a year discount on my insurance for no claims. So filing a claim would be foolish.

Aerial view of the north Georgia area right now, none of those are clouds.
Wow, so sorry to hear you're going through this. We are right by the Party Rock fire in Lake Lure. It isn't looking good for this area :(

yorkie350 said:
All you guys & gals still in our thoughts over here am still praying for rain for you too, o1marc sure was a close one lets hope that its now passed you by, keep strong wish I could do more
I am praying for rain like never before! Thank you for doing the same.

Re: Doing a rain dance-- Cautiously optimistic...

So our fire is now over 6700 acres... but it's 32% contained. We are cautiously optimistic, but aren't getting too excited yet. High winds are expected this weekend so it's up in the air (no pun intended) as to whether things will go the way we expect them to.
Myself and a few others have been running supplies to the command center a few times a day. Their faces light up when they see us coming. I've been working with one of the local Fire Depts to feed the firefighters three hot meals a day. We also have the dept set up with sorted donations for them to be able to take what they need. If we don't have something one of them needs, the firefighters text me and I pick it up for them. It's been an honor to be able to take care of these guys and gals. They have been so appreciative of any tiny little thing we do for them.
Say an extra little prayer/send good vibes and happy thoughts for me, as I've now come down with something. Got in this morning at 3:30 and let myself sleep with no alarm. About to head back to the fire dept.
Thank you again... keep sending those happy thoughts, good vibes, prayers. Hugs to you all <3

http://wspa.com/2016/11/17/rutherford-county-wildfire-now-32-contained-evacuation-order-to-be-lifte/

Glad to hear it's starting to sway in y'alls favor ;)
I did an improvised rain dance (oddly, it looked alot like a bourbon induced stumble).
I went to the Jiggly Club, found a stripper named Aphrodite (wasn't as difficult as you might think), and "made it rain" (well, I "made it hail" with a handful of nickels. but precipitation is precipitation, right?)
And I performed a Voodoo Rain Ritual that required sacrificing a chicken (I ate at Popeyes), while wearing a tortoise shell (I used the crusty stuff left on the Turtle Wax bottle), and singing an ancient fais-do-do melody (I belted out an awesome Waterfalls by TLC).

I hope any/all of it helped ;) :p

Back
Top Bottom