Electric Starter Question - CB360

BEAM

Hi,

I am rebuilding a CB360, currently on the engine so I haven't moved onto the electrical side of things yet. I want to use an m-unit and an antigravity battery and had kind of decided not to use an electrical starter. However, now I MAY be waffling on that. I wanted to know how that may change my battery needs. I plan on having:

headlight
taillight
turn signals
all gauge lights
horn

Here is what I plan to use with no electrical starter:
M-unit
Universal Rectifier/Regulator
PAMCO electric ignition
Rick's Stator
new ignition coils (which ones should I use?)

If I use the electric stater I will add a new starter solenoid

What size antigravity battery could I use with each scenario, looking for minimal size here

You have your heart set on Antigravity? Given your other electrical selections, you may prefer something of a higher quality? http://www.sparckmoto.com/batteries

That said, a universal regulator/rectifier isn't likely to be a good choice with any LI-ION variant. Our R/R is specifically designed with LI-ION in mind.

OK... now onto the good stuff. An electric start on these Honda twins is more like a back-up. It's best to use the kicker when you can, as it will save on battery life (especially if you swap to LI-ION). The electric start is very nice for tuning, timing, and initial setup though.

Also, I recommend picking up an m-button to go with the m-unit. It will save you a ton of time with the wiring.

For coils, Brendan (from Common Motor) has some OEM-like replacements: http://www.common-motor.com/honda-ignition-coil

If you're wanting cheaper, XT600 coils are the same spacing, so they mount up no problems, but they do take a little extra wiring to get going. They use spade connectors instead of bullets.

I'm not tied to antigravity, just haven't really looked around yet. I need the battery to be as small as possible to run my applications.

Nice call on teh R/R, will make sure it is Li-ON designed

Definitely getting the m-button

Coils: what about Dyna? Are they just expensive for no reason?

So I guess I am leaning towards keeping my starter. I will need a new starter solenoid correct? What is teh min. cell battery from your store I should be looking at?

BEAM said:
I'm not tied to antigravity, just haven't really looked around yet. I need the battery to be as small as possible to run my applications.

Nice call on teh R/R, will make sure it is Li-ON designed

Definitely getting the m-button

Coils: what about Dyna? Are they just expensive for no reason?

So I guess I am leaning towards keeping my starter. I will need a new starter solenoid correct? What is teh min. cell battery from your store I should be looking at?

Sorry for the late reply. I've been in SoCal for the past week and a half.

ETX12 series will be a good match for a Honda twin. Dyna has had some quality problems in the past and they're pretty expensive. I believe they've improved, but I still wouldn't pay top dollar unless I had a very specific reason to do so. Solenoid is necessary for electric starter, so if you don't have one, you will need one. They're a fairly universal part if you don't mind doing a little wiring.

Back
Top Bottom