www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: MT250 Budget Build  (Read 6559 times)

Offline JSJamboree

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT BIKE OF 2016
  • Drink Local
Re: MT250 Budget Build
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2017, 00:24:55 »
Would be a cool upgrade, but I don't see this bike getting any use, don't see the reason to spend the extra $$ unless I was to try ahrma racing on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JSJamboree

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT BIKE OF 2016
  • Drink Local
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2017, 00:26:56 »
Last piece of the puzzle. Snagged it off eBay for a pretty good price and got overbid on one not as nice that ended up going for a lot more than this one. Hadn't seen any on eBay for about three months then two in a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AimlessMoto

• Blood, sweat and beers.
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2017, 14:37:10 »
Yep, it's a bassanni.

There is also a CR250 exhaust that goes under the bike and up the right side. More moto-cross like. I can't remember who makes them but e-bay is littered with them from time-to-time.

Offline JSJamboree

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT BIKE OF 2016
  • Drink Local
« Reply #93 on: Sep 13, 2017, 11:33:02 »
So, Ive got the itch for an 80s/90s sport bike.  Really anything with dual round headlights.  This has been ridden like 4 times since it was built so I dont really see a reason to keep paying insurance and title on it.  So, its going up for sale! Its not a full restore but mechanically its been gone through and the motor is like new at this point.  This isn't going to let you down.  Asking 1750, I'll get some glamor pics up soon.

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #94 on: Sep 13, 2017, 12:42:07 »
So, Ive got the itch for an 80s/90s sport bike.  Really anything with dual round headlights.  This has been ridden like 4 times since it was built so I dont really see a reason to keep paying insurance and title on it.  So, its going up for sale! Its not a full restore but mechanically its been gone through and the motor is like new at this point.  This isn't going to let you down.  Asking 1750, I'll get some glamor pics up soon.

FZR600 ?   
--
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
The Shovelhead springer chopper
A bunch of KZ's...some Suzukis', and a disassembled CB550
--

Offline JSJamboree

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT BIKE OF 2016
  • Drink Local
« Reply #95 on: Sep 13, 2017, 13:21:08 »
FZR600 ?   

89ish FZR600, 89ish ZX7, 89ish GSXR750

Honestly its all about the cool looks than it is a specific bike or even being very fast, I just don't want anything smaller than a 600. Anything else i'm missing? Not looking for something rare or crazy.  They are still relatively inexpensive right now so I want to get one before the prices start to go up.

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #96 on: Sep 13, 2017, 13:40:47 »
89ish FZR600, 89ish ZX7, 89ish GSXR750

Honestly its all about the cool looks than it is a specific bike or even being very fast, I just don't want anything smaller than a 600. Anything else i'm missing? Not looking for something rare or crazy.  They are still relatively inexpensive right now so I want to get one before the prices start to go up.

I love the looks and I believe they are the next wave of customs so un-effed originals will only get harder to find.  These earlier crotch rockets seemed to have alot of squid PO's so be careful there. 
The ZX7 would be my other first choice (besides my YZF750R, love love love)  but I haven't been able to find a decent one in awhile out here in the southwest.  I rode a buddy's ZX7 a bit back when and it was a blast.  I don't know much about the gixxers.   Check out Airtech-Streamlining to see what they make plastics for, it gives an idea of aftermarket support for the bikes and which ones were in demand for racing.
--
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
The Shovelhead springer chopper
A bunch of KZ's...some Suzukis', and a disassembled CB550
--

Offline HiroProtagonist

« Reply #97 on: Sep 13, 2017, 19:44:55 »
I'm also in love with these bikes, and recently snagged this guy

Quite affordable, though WAY less fun to work on than older bikes. Suddenly everything is packed in super tight and there's way more pieces to maintain (hydraulic clutch, disc brakes, etc). A total blast to ride, though, and way less money if you're willing to put in the time (PO couldn't get it started and didn't want to deal with taking the carbs off - I don't blame him).

Offline Hurco550

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Play Stupid Games, Win Stupid Prizes
« Reply #98 on: Sep 13, 2017, 20:17:53 »
I'm also in love with these bikes, and recently snagged this guy

Quite affordable, though WAY less fun to work on than older bikes. Suddenly everything is packed in super tight and there's way more pieces to maintain (hydraulic clutch, disc brakes, etc). A total blast to ride, though, and way less money if you're willing to put in the time (PO couldn't get it started and didn't want to deal with taking the carbs off - I don't blame him).
Just sold my 84 vf1000f. Yes they are cool, it was fast and it was fun ' BUT pulling the carbs and re installing them makes me want to smack an old lady in the face. They are way more tightly packed and tough to work on than any bike from the previous 7-10 years that I've ever been around

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Keep er' Between The Ditches!!!

1976 BMW R90/6 farkilitious: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=74349.msg882477#msg882477
1975 RD350 Road Racer: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70652.msg833688#msg833688
1973 Ironhead Hardtail: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68135.msg788081#msg788081
1976 GT250 Rebuild: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=64973.new#new
Full Custom Pit Bike: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66954.new#new
1971 Yamaha 90cc twin HS1: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70498.0
"Two strokes are the motorcycle equivalent to Thors chariot. Full of glory and memories of battles victorious" ~ von yinzer

Offline HiroProtagonist

« Reply #99 on: Sep 13, 2017, 20:31:03 »
Just sold my 84 vf1000f. Yes they are cool, it was fast and it was fun ' BUT pulling the carbs and re installing them makes me want to smack an old lady in the face. They are way more tightly packed and tough to work on than any bike from the previous 7-10 years that I've ever been around

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

100% agreed. When you say "previous 7-10 years" do you mean 74-77 or 2010-now? Just wondering if they made them LESS packed over time? I have a set of new jets coming in for the bike and I am not looking forward to dealing with them.

For an 80s bike that actually has a good dose of power and is SUPER easy to work on, the CX500 is pretty sweet. If you look at the power/weight and the torque, you're getting pretty close to a modern Moto Guzzi, though it does look like shit, and definitely doesn't have the "80s sports/super bike" aesthetic.

I was about 5 minutes away from picking up a non-running RG500 earlier this year at an auction in Seattle and I'm still kicking myself over passing it by.