Spray Paint: What have I done wrong & how to fix

Corbo

Hi guys, been awhile but I'm back with another rookie mistake and appeal to your collective knowledge on how to fix it.

I've been slowly building up metallic paint on my CL360 rims to get a near-chrome finish. Things were going well, super shiny, until I went today to do final coat and bam, this happened. The spots where this happened looked fantastic up until this point.

I did rub down the rims w rubbing alcohol before I started. Maybe I missed these spots? I was handling the rims before painting...I also soaked the cans in warm water before use because I'm spraying in my basement and its a bit cold.

Any advice appreciated...

c71be381059035777e0387314a577e79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Fish eye. Sand it back down and clean it with naphtha or something similar to ensure that it is clean and dust free before spraying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

Yeah, what Clem said. I always use acetone and never handle something you've cleaned/prepped with your bare hands, gloves only.
The oil on your skin will get on the surface and keep the paint from adhering properly.

Thank you both... I've seen fish eyes before but never like this. It looked great until I sprayed this last coat...

might also have missed the re-coat time window, if that happens you have to at least scuff the finish before spraying again.

+1 on the re-coat. there is usually a short, then long window, like re-coat in < 1 hour or wait 7 days and in between you can get those types of spots, that being said if it is a metallic lacquer they are usually no re-coat window paints and you can re-coat as soon as the last coat is dry, if that is the case it would be contamination on the surface.

I've also seen similar marks when the item being painted is cold. Should have everything up to room temp. Also, soak the cans of paint in a bucket of hot water for 30min or so before painting. It will help the paint atomize properly.

Outgas holes. Painting cast aluminum, those holes were likely under the last coat and she you shot fresh paint on it dissolved the layer covering the holes... rinse and repeat mang.

Just my 2 pennies so a real painter should be consulted, maybe drop by the local paint shop with one and ask.

You didn't spray any silicone or wax products anywhere near by those wheels, did you? I ruined a paint job one, sprayed some WD-40 in the driveway with the garage door open, but a good 15 feet away.

Sent from my iPad using DO THE TON

Tune-A-Fish© said:
Outgas holes. Painting cast aluminum, those holes were likely under the last coat and she you shot fresh paint on it dissolved the layer covering the holes... rinse and repeat mang.

Just my 2 pennies so a real painter should be consulted, maybe drop by the local paint shop with one and ask.

You talkin about solvent pop? I think that's a little different where you shoot the next coat too soon and you get pin holes from the paint off gassing through the top coat.

VonYinzer said:
I've also seen similar marks when the item being painted is cold. Should have everything up to room temp. Also, soak the cans of paint in a bucket of hot water for 30min or so before painting. It will help the paint atomize properly.

Good to know, the basement is a little cold, I'll have to figure out how to heat things up. Thanks!

Careful use of a heat gun or a little safer a hair dryer can warm the part, at the same time the paint is in warm water you can then shoot the part while warm and it can help. I do it sometimes when I need to paint something small in the garage in winter. I warm the paint, hang the part and warm with the heat gun if bare, or hair dryer if painted and then give a quick coat of paint, then move back in the house. I have to do it to keep smell out of the house.

Corbo said:
Good to know, the basement is a little cold, I'll have to figure out how to heat things up. Thanks!

Just a tad bit of safety info. Not really sure what your predicament was. But I was a volunteer fireman long ago. And we had a house explosion due to 2 young teens repainting there bicycles in the basement of there home during the winter. Furnace kicked on and built up fumes ignited. Neither kid was killed but suffered bad burns and house was total loss. I don't mean to come off rude but to everyone out there be safe no matter what it is your doing. Ty.

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using DO THE TON mobile app

Back
Top Bottom