1973 CB500 resto-mod

Great build mate eye for detail shows its worth 8) your exhausts are the dogs bollocks would love a set for my RC181 rep :p ime hooked in to the finish bud keep up the fantastic build quality and updates .

Got the frame and other bits back from powder coating. I dropped off the swing arm to have new bushings pressed in.
I also had the Avon's mounted on the Lester's. I need to finish up degreeing in the cam so I can get the engine in the frame.

I got the backing plate all cleaned up, painted and new EBC shoes installed. And new Avon's mounted and balanced on the Lester's.

Finally finished a seemingly never ending stretch of overtime and had a blitz day in the garage. Dad and I degree'd in the cam and got the top end assembled a couple of weeks ago. Adjusted the valves and a few other odds and ends.
Tried the "frame over engine" method this time and that was SUPER easy. In no time at all I had a roller!

I picked up a REALLY clean set of carbs at Barber last year. I started going through them yesterday. I pulled a couple of emulsion tubes just to check them, and generally just giving everything a good squirt of carb cleaner. I'm going to try to finish that up today and get the carbs and air box mounted.
But I also need to cut grass. And work on the Interceptor project. And get a hair cut.

Got the carbs cleaned, bench synced, new breather hoses, overflow hoses and fuel lines. Installed the air box with new rubbers and got the battery box in. Oh, and I added oil to the crank case.

I just love this view with the 400F bars. And the Ikon shocks look great, too!

Man, how cool is that?! The Goldwing brake splitter matches up PERFECTLY to the pre-drilled holes on the R6 lower triple!
I found out that the R6 used a 14mm master cylinder, so I ordered one of the Honda style masters from 4into1.com (also 14mm) and picked up this splitter. Now I'll have no wires on the bars, a stock looking master, and the factory brake light wiring will plug right in! I talked to Shaun at Slingshot the other day and have a set of braided hoses on the way. I should have working front brakes soon!

Got a lot more "invisible" work done. Got the new wiring harness laid, electrical panel cleaned up and installed, battery box, tool tray (and cleaned the tools and super cool fuse holder).
Got the chain on and adjusted.

Also started on installation of the 400F pegs. No matter what you've heard, these are NOT "bolt on". I previously flipped the heim joint to make it a straighter shot. You also have to elongate the hole on the back of the foot peg to fit the matching peg on the frame. Oddly enough, the RH side slips right on (after removing that odd bracket).

I prepped the 400F brake pedal to be heated and bent tomorrow. I'll also have a tab welded on for the rear brake switch spring.

While I was wrapping that up, the UPS man showed up with my Speedhut gauge. I have to say, Rachel and the crew at Speedhut were a pleasure to deal with. I picked my font, background, bezel, etc., and I had them raise the red line to 12K RPM.
They also sealed the gauge with silicone since it is going on a motorcycle and shortened the GPS cable (for the speedometer). But, coolest of all is the HRC logo I had them add!

Worked on fitting the front fender today. I picked up a "Harley" or universal fender from eBay because I wanted one with no holes for cable guides, etc.' I wanted chrome. And I wanted a somewhat stock look.
I started by taping some fuel line to the tire as a clearance guide.

I had to drill a new hole at the rear and notch the front. I also had to compress the "ears". But, we got it on. I could drive myself insane trying to get it absolutely centered, but it's close enough.

That's the good news. The bad news is that while fitting the fender I noticed that the front tire is on backwards. GRRRR!!!
I tried just flipping the wheel around, but the spacers are side specific to center the calipers over the rotors. Guess I'll drop off the tire this afternoon to be swapped around.

Got a package from 4into1.com AND from Slingshot today and kept plugging away at more of the little things. Or, as Fezzler is fond of saying, "eating the elephant".
Got the new bulb in the headlight ring, started assembling the brake hoses, and made a center stand stop. The chrome bracket was from my parts pile, probably a leftover exhaust hanger of some sort. The bumper is a Honda part. Drilled out the hole a little bigger and pressed it in and gave the hanger a bend.

And now the center stand doesn't hit the chain or brake stay anymore!

Slingshot lines installed and routed to the Goldwing splitter.

Reproduction master cylinder installed. I started the bleeding process, but I'll have to come back to that when I have some help in the garage.

try the force the fluid up from the bottom method, use a piece of clear hose and as large a syringe as you can get hold of, works a treat and little if any bleeding needed afterwards. simple one person operation
I used it to get the 6 piston 'busa calipers sorted on the Vmax after much farting round trying to bleed them the normal way and I had it all done in about half an hour

Took a couple of 400F brake pedals....

Heated and bent them and welded on a tab for the brake switch spring...

...had one powder coated "chrome" for my project...

...and got it on the bike today. Yes, I know the lock nut needs to be underneath. And I'll fold down the spring once everything is adjusted.

Got the Pamco wired up today, and I adjusted the clutch. Gratuitous progress pics.

Back
Top Bottom