1980 XT500 BUILD

MCKAY34 said:
Hi guys, well because the response was so fast and i solved the issue in regards to my last problem. im going to see if we can now fix this problem.

Does anyone know what these wires are for?
They are at the headlight end. I need to know what the 4 in my hand do. and also the 6 in the connection individually. I think the connection is for the handlebar switch block. But i need to know which wire does what.

Again any help would be great.

Found a wiring diagram that might help:

wire_diagram_XT500D1977.jpg

Yellow = hi beam indicator light
Blue = tachometer lamp
Green/Yellow = front brake switch
Blue/Red = pilot lamp (in headlight)

thanks for your help mate, i have this diagram also, its not correct with my wiring loom. also the brake switch wires are accounted for.

The bulb connectors prongs should be labeled if you pull the connector

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Nah they arnt, but that's ok I solved the issue of the bulb wires. I just tested it on the battery so now I know what wires do what for the bulb.
Sorry everyone I should have done that in the first place.

I'm still stuck with all the other wires.

Rather than me throwing hammers in the garage because i cant figure out the wiring,
i have started to make a small bracket to hold the speedo.

Attachments

• IMG_1454.JPG
    IMG_1454.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1455.JPG
    IMG_1455.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 288
Just installed the rear brake switch, i was waiting for the bracket that holds the brake switch,

Attachments

• IMG_1527.JPG
    IMG_1527.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 298
I installed that bracket i made for the new speedo, its sits perfect, clean and low. pretty happy with it.

Attachments

• IMG_1762.JPG
    IMG_1762.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 282
I have been trying to buy a new rear brake arm for the rear drum break, because the one i have is destroyed, i havnt had any luck buying a new one, so i am going to have to try and fix this one i have.

Attachments

• IMG_1717.JPG
    IMG_1717.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 279
the rear brake arm worked out ok, after a few hits with the hammer and the angle grinder. I slapped some new paint on there, and bought a new spring. looks ok and im sure it will work great!

What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1763.JPG
    IMG_1763.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 267
MCKAY34 said:
the rear brake arm worked out ok, after a few hits with the hammer and the angle grinder. I slapped some new paint on there, and bought a new spring. looks ok and im sure it will work great!

What are your thoughts?
Looks good. You followed the tried and true method of hammers and angle grinders. If you start there you cant go wrong. The hubs, spokes and rim combination looks great.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Probably the biggest challenge i have had so far is redoing all the wiring, given the way the wiring was, i will feel so much more comfortable rewiring the entire bike. knowing that every connection and wire is solid and connected properly will make me feel way better.

Most of my delay with my posts have been because i have been trying to figure out the wiring, but I have made some great progress understanding the wiring. So im kicking goals now!

Attachments

• IMG_1582.JPG
    IMG_1582.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 264
  • IMG_1747.JPG
    IMG_1747.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 269
Looks like good quality environmental splices there.
One thing you'll find, like I did, is the Hi beam indicator on that speedo is BRIGHT! So much so, that I put a piece of tape on it at night, because it kills my night vision!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

540Nova said:
Looks like good quality environmental splices there.
One thing you'll find, like I did, is the Hi beam indicator on that speedo is BRIGHT! So much so, that I put a piece of tape on it at night, because it kills my night vision!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah your right, it is super bright, i have the exact same speedo on my Triumph.

Mr Bernzo said:
Looks good. You followed the tried and true method of hammers and angle grinders. If you start there you cant go wrong. The hubs, spokes and rim combination looks great.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Haha yeah thanks mate, I feel there is nothing that can’t be solved with an angle grinder and hammer!!!

Its always awesome when the last person that owned the bike just thought it was a super idea to weld the clutch foot lever on.
Great for him but a nightmare for me, trying to get it off was a killer.

Installing the new one turned out ok though.

Attachments

• IMG_1780.JPG
    IMG_1780.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 266
  • IMG_1781.JPG
    IMG_1781.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 267
  • IMG_1782.JPG
    IMG_1782.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 272
I popped in the engine! woooooooooo getting exciting now.

What does everyone think so far?

Attachments

• IMG_1764.JPG
    IMG_1764.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 273
I put the oil pan back on. If you flick back to the start and see the oil pan when i first took it off. man what a difference!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1783.JPG
    IMG_1783.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 291
Back
Top Bottom