www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: FRANKENHONDA II the 1982 DOHC CB 750F2 Build  (Read 11167 times)

Offline cb250nproject

• If you can make it better do so
Re: FRANKENHONDA II the 1982 DOHC CB 750F2 Build
« Reply #10 on: Apr 21, 2017, 23:03:46 »
Thanks Tim (my apologies for typo text on the phones starting to get a little too small to read these days), this is where i am now, working away for the next 5 weeks so once i get back home i will instal the cb 900 cam and hopefully get the valve clearances sorted, then the handle bars just to get an idea of the riding position.. then start to dream up the seat and tail end maybe look at making up some brackets to mount the rearsets.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using DO THE TON mobile app

« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2017, 02:07:35 by cb250nproject »
first cafe build was an incomplete learning experience, more of a test run for the real thing FRANKENHONDA II

Offline cb250nproject

« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2017, 02:06:03 »
I want to install an oil cooler can anyone point me in the direction of a supplier of a kit ??
first cafe build was an incomplete learning experience, more of a test run for the real thing FRANKENHONDA II

Offline spotty

• Vmax...why,yes i think i will
    • spottys world of vmax (and great danes)
« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2017, 02:18:21 »
looking good, can't think of a finer thing to do to an old cop bike (who knows it may have been one of the ones used to nick me for something in days gone by...)

didn't CB1100's (and maybe some 900's) have a cooler stock? maybe search the info and see if any of the wreckers have got one somewhere.

theres plenty of a/market stuff out there for the actual coolers but getting the fittings, the wreckers might be your only option

are you using the old wheels? I might be interested in the front for my CB750K8 which already has CB900 forks but its going to be easier to use the 900 wheel and discs than try and get decent brakes and such to work with the stock wire wheel

where in (not so ) sunny Melbourne are you? i'm in Kalorama,  right on top of mount Dandenong so I get one of the best trips home every night after work, straight up the tourist rd
short fast loud, three things punk rock and vmaxs have in common

south of the border, down melbourne way

Offline cb250nproject

« Reply #13 on: Apr 29, 2017, 07:31:05 »
Sweet spot to live in, mad roads up there I use to ride the black spur back on my little RGV 250 good times.

This is the front wheel I removed was going to off load it for $125 with discs there should be plenty on them but i wont be able to get the calipers on them until i come home in June. Im on the west side in the bronx of sunshine west  :-\

Got any photos of your build ? Im always interested in how peeps go about their builds

Offline cb250nproject

« Reply #14 on: Jun 04, 2017, 05:40:19 »
ok so finally came home and tried to install the cb 900f cams

had a few mishaps along the way :/ two of the cam journal bolt broke off, a common occurance but none the less inconvenient.

has to drill and tap out new threads then when i reinstalled the bolts I added a little bit of antisieze  and then worked out the torque setting for wet bolts (different to the dry torque settings)

I was also unable to use the sprocket from the 750 cam which I tried to do because the sprocket was chamfered on the 900 cam and I was unsure how it would effect things. but the decision was ade easy when i realised it wasnt interchangeable.

then had to reshim to get the valve clearances right still need to find some 260 and 265 shims that will be tomorrows mission hopefully and ill put on the woodcraft riser clip ons on.

Offline cb250nproject

« Reply #15 on: Jun 06, 2017, 05:23:00 »

Went out and got studs to mount the rear disc that I had. Now just to make a spacer for the left side of the wheel.

Also got a chance to fit the 3" riser clip ons, it doesn't look as trick as low clip ons but it sure is comfortable. Tomorrow I'm hoping to get a start on the tail end see how that goes

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline brad black

« Reply #16 on: Jun 08, 2017, 08:24:17 »
man, that rear disc is huge.  you need to cut it down and fit a smaller caliper.

Offline spotty

• Vmax...why,yes i think i will
    • spottys world of vmax (and great danes)
« Reply #17 on: Jun 08, 2017, 21:13:02 »
man, that rear disc is huge.  you need to cut it down and fit a smaller caliper.

i'd leave the disc that size but replace with a matching one to the fronts or even just get it drilled so it looks similar, the solidness looks kind of wrong with the front drilled ones, and get rid of the black plastic thingy off the back of the caliper or put a matching 4 piston nissin on, the more brakes the better.
short fast loud, three things punk rock and vmaxs have in common

south of the border, down melbourne way

Offline CrabsAndCylinders

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Careful With That Axe Eugene
« Reply #18 on: Jun 09, 2017, 19:33:37 »
Yeah, I think that black plastic thingy is just to keep water from getting flicked upward.
Lighter, Quicker, Faster.
ZX-14, 900F x 2, 1100F, R100, CBR600, SR500, GT500, RZ350, KZ1000 x 2, Moto Guzzi Lemans lll, CBX550, RD 350, 750 SOHC police special, RG250, TL1000R, GT750, KTM Super Duke 1290 R, Harris/Z-1, Norton 750 Commando, Green 77 KZ650

Offline cb250nproject

« Reply #19 on: Jun 09, 2017, 21:05:59 »
I agree the disc does look odd, would it be cheaper to get it drilled? or just buy a brand new disc?

Also im trying to work out exactly what model of cb 750 had the 6 stud bolt pattern for mounting that disc, the other ones I had were all a 5 stud bolt pattern, that was off the original wheel that came off. dont want to oreder the wrong one.. again

Given how little the rear brake does i dont think I will go to the trouble of putting a nissin caliper on, I have ordered a kit and was going to strip down and refurbish the original caliper. I think the brake upgrade that came with the GSXR fork conversion will still make it like night and day.. thats wat I'm hoping anyway