78' CB750F repaint question

survivor1911

Is there a "easy" way I can repaint the frame and engine/trans without a full tear down down? Ive posted other threads saying how this is my first rebuild and Id rather not tear it apart, id like to do that in the future in a controlled environment with a bike i care "less" about

Attachments

• 0409171850.jpg
    0409171850.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 276
Ive got more pics for later when I have my laptop but
I do have a good amount of the top frame paint and rust stripped
so far. (only stripped paint fully on top of frame due to the amount
of surface rust, planning to sand smooth and mask the rest)

No. Not unless you want a half-assed paint job. You can probably touch up small areas of the frame but it will be nearly impossible to get a good even coat on either with the engine in the frame.

Don't waste your time trying. Just get the bike on the road, running well and enjoy it.

Tim said:
Don't waste your time trying. Just get the bike on the road, running well and enjoy it.

The engine paint is all pretty bad and chipped, It would look horrible if I just completely left it

It won't look any better if you try to paint it in place. You need to pull the engine, completely degrease it and then carefully prep and paint. I for one am not a fan of spraying engines while assembled. It's like painting a spoked wheel. They should be taken apart, painted and then put back together. You'll end up with flaking paint if you don't properly prep the engine before painting it and any time any fuel spills on it etc it will strip the paint off.

Pull the engine, prep it and paint. Same for the frame. Take everything off, and have it powdercoated.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Back
Top Bottom