www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: I want to learn how to weld.  (Read 975 times)

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: I want to learn how to weld.
« Reply #30 on: Nov 16, 2017, 15:43:19 »
What is wrong with Eastwood hand pieces as it relates to their ability to weld?  It would be nice if I could blame my crappy TIG welds on the equipment. :-)  I did manage to "hot glue" some aluminum parts recently - not pretty but strong enough.

I also managed to burn straight through a leather glove and part of my right thumb when I accidentally grabbed the wrong end of a tube I was oxy welding. Not sure what was worse, the bite or the smell. Third degree burns in an instant - fortunately a small area.

Lesson - Be really careful when welding.
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2017, 15:45:50 by teazer »

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
« Reply #31 on: Nov 16, 2017, 17:03:53 »
What is wrong with Eastwood hand pieces as it relates to their ability to weld?  It would be nice if I could blame my crappy TIG welds on the equipment. :-)  I did manage to "hot glue" some aluminum parts recently - not pretty but strong enough.

I also managed to burn straight through a leather glove and part of my right thumb when I accidentally grabbed the wrong end of a tube I was oxy welding. Not sure what was worse, the bite or the smell. Third degree burns in an instant - fortunately a small area.

Lesson - Be really careful when welding.

Nothing that will effect your weld unfortunately :D
A gas lens will help if you don't have one. It will give you the ability to run the tungsten a little further out for better visibility, and you'll get better gas coverage over your welds. The eastwood torch is a standard wp17, any parts for that torch will work they don't have to come from Eastwood. Airgas carries all the parts.

I found that the hose itself gets brittle, because of the power and argon running through the same hose, the hose gets hot and eventually becomes brittle and cracks.
The rigid torch itself is fine, its just a standard 17 torch. The flexible one is crappy because it way bigger than it should be and the flex head isn't rigid enough to hold itself. You bend it where you want it to go and then it bends halfway back. Looking at them again I am referring to their "ergo flex torch" as that's the one they sent me by mistake.

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #32 on: Nov 16, 2017, 17:58:12 »
Gotcha.  Thanks. I finally got some thinner electrodes and thinner filler rod and that's making welding thin sheet metal much easier.  Now I need to learn how to control the heat and do multiple tacks and not try to weld seams before it's all held securely in place.

I have a tendency to tack things up and if I start welding the seam and it's going well, I don't stop until it's too late and the parts are distorting. Patience is a virtue I need to learn with this stuff.

Offline Jewbacca

• Therapy is expensive. Riding is cheap. You decide.
« Reply #33 on: Nov 17, 2017, 16:36:21 »
Heat is your friend and your enemy. Gotta get it hot enough to get penetration but too hot and you'll get the distortion. My boss taught me to weld, same as you, never held a stinger in my life, now I'm welding steel, stainless, aluminum, cast iron, etc. Tig gives you way more control and almost no clean up, but the cost of machines is a hindrance. If you go with mig, save yourself the headache and get a gas machine with hard wire. Still lays beads nice, good penetration and little clean up. Make sure to grab a couple cans of anti spatter and spray it around the weld area. Helps keep the ditty balls from sticking to everything.
As far as gear, I run a Miller auto darkening helmet with fine adjustment and 4 modes. Costs about 200$ but will last you forever. Gloves, just buy leather welding gloves, don't have to get fancy. And yes, long sleeves. Welders tan is nothing you want.
1979 Honda CB750K- Soon to be CB750K-SC Night-Ninja (SOLD)
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=18771.0
1974 TX500A "Yamahonda" http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66736.0"
1983 Honda CB650SC
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70532.new#new
Gives me a major cramp in my wedding tackle..." Fellow PNW Rocker Dave Simmons