My Project - 1982 Honda CBX550

Trace

Hi all,
I introduced myself back in January when I first brought home my "shed find". I didn't start a project thread at the time as I wasn't sure which direction I was going to take with her: restoration or cafe. To be honest at this point, I'm still not sure. I want to ride her for a bit before I commit in a particular direction, but I'm leaning more towards some cafe inspired changes.
This is when I first picked her up.

14822849791960-02_zpsjs1hzrps.jpeg

14822698477714_zpsa9ycqfrk.jpg

Since then I've slowly been making slow progress; new tyres, sprocket, chain, tank clean, gaskets and carbs worked on. She's now running quite smoothly mechanically. So much so that I got a bit ahead of myself and took her a little spin around the back yard. Still no brakes and no fork oil, so just a little putt around. The huge hole in the rusted out headers make her sound more like a tractor than a Honda, but the little ride was enough to make me a bit excited about how much I may enjoy her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc0rmWYgCI0

Now to start on the brakes, forks and exhaust so I can get her roadworthy.

This will be a slow moving thread. My initial goal is to get her roadworthy and ride a bit before I start on any design elements.

Great looking bike as it is, if it were mine I'd fit a modern front end, a matching rear wheel and then you'd have conventional brakes, but it's your bike so do what you want to

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Nice work so far.
I think they are a great looking modern classic, the brakes are a real feature so I'd keep em, but I run cable drums so what do I know about stopping power?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovely looking bike, i have just bought a 1983 myself and i am going down the same route with a cafe racer, what modern front ends will fit straight in to the existing fork clamps though?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

One thing I know about the CBX550, NEVER fit an over width front tyre. It makes bike incredibly unstable even at low speed.
At 35 mph it's almost unrideable, even I didn't try to go any faster :eek:

Back
Top Bottom