www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Welding Gas Tanks  (Read 3005 times)

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Welding Gas Tanks
« on: Jul 22, 2017, 16:47:52 »
Hey guys!

So I´m a total noob to welding and my aim is to be able to weld (mainly cutting pieces out of tanks and strecthing or narrowing steel gas tanks) gas tanks.
What is the proper method for welding gas tanks?

I already have a inert gas welding machine in my shop, which I didnt activate yet...but I heard that these are not fit to weld so thin steel parts...

Hope you can point me in the right direction!

Thanks!

Offline datadavid

Re: Welding Gas Tanks
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2017, 16:59:12 »
You cant do that without 10 000 hours practice or 1000 kgs of plastic padding ryan😃
Best method for welding tanks is either tig or oxy-acetylene, and practice is the only way here, with good teachers. I have been welding professionally for over ten years, and i always get the joyful task of sealing up novices leaky tanks.

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2017, 17:09:32 »
Just watched a video of a guy narrowing a tank and it was AMAZING how much knowledge goes into it...wow...so I guess I have to stick to my stock tanks or dinging other tanks and trying to make them fit..  :D

Offline datadavid

« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2017, 18:28:55 »
Just watched a video of a guy narrowing a tank and it was AMAZING how much knowledge goes into it...wow...so I guess I have to stick to my stock tanks or dinging other tanks and trying to make them fit..  :D
Hell no, if you want to have a go, just use some scrap metal to begin with, then start making cubes to pressure test with said scrap pieces, then try to repair the leaks, then ask me or other welders how to make it 100% air tight, then try stretching and welding on a few scrap moped tanks or whatever, then ask for more help with whatever problems you encounter, then in a few years, you will be able to make amazing shit without bondo or jb weld! Its like life before and after finding out the secrets of steel man.
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2017, 19:03:46 by datadavid »

Offline Luugo86

• '73 CB350, '78 XS650 Cafe Killer
    • ToadStool Cycle Co.
« Reply #4 on: Jul 22, 2017, 20:14:40 »
Hell no, if you want to have a go, just use some scrap metal to begin with, then start making cubes to pressure test with said scrap pieces, then try to repair the leaks, then ask me or other welders how to make it 100% air tight, then try stretching and welding on a few scrap moped tanks or whatever, then ask for more help with whatever problems you encounter, then in a few years, you will be able to make amazing shit without bondo or jb weld! Its like life before and after finding out the secrets of steel man.

Sound advice. TiG would be the welding process you would want, and like datadavid said, for what you are trying to accomplish, there is no short cut. Hours and hours beneath the welding hood.
Live to Die, Die to Live

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #5 on: Jul 22, 2017, 21:58:06 »
You cant do that without 10 000 hours practice or 1000 kgs of plastic padding ryan😃
Best method for welding tanks is either tig or oxy-acetylene, and practice is the only way here, with good teachers. I have been welding professionally for over ten years, and i always get the joyful task of sealing up novices leaky tanks.

I agree, I use d-a/oxy as I don't have TIG.
Easiest way to modify a tank is cut the bottom with mountings out of the one that matches frame then cut bottom out of the one your going to use, match top to bottom and weld away. I guess it should be possible to use MIG if you have a lot of experience and get everything real clean. Majority of people I've seen starting with MIG though use wrong current and too high wire feed so would be better off using JB Weld as the 'weld' is just laying on the surface and can be peeled off pretty easy. Main advantage of TIG is localised heat so less distortion
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
I gave my girlfriend an orgasm the other night, but, she spat it back at me
 Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry
 It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it  (Terry Pratchett)
CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Online irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2017, 00:30:46 »
I've welded and modified at least a dozen tanks with MIG.  None of them leak.  It's not impossible, but it's much harder to do with MIG.  At the time I got the MIG, TIG prices were still through the roof.  They've come down significantly since then. 

Offline datadavid

« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2017, 17:11:12 »
I've welded and modified at least a dozen tanks with MIG.  None of them leak.  It's not impossible, but it's much harder to do with MIG.  At the time I got the MIG, TIG prices were still through the roof.  They've come down significantly since then.
Yes, i have a very hard time welding thin sheet 100% air tight with the mig, its just not the best procedure for it. Short hot beads with very little feed is the trick for me at least.

Online irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
Welding Gas Tanks
« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2017, 17:18:05 »
Yep. Literally a thousand little tacks in rows. Then check with bright light. About a hundred tacks to fill the missed holes. Check with light again. About 10 more tacks to fill more holes. LOL. Check with light again. Jap tanks are the worst for sheet gauge. It's far from ideal. At the time I got my MIG, it was $600 for a good Hobart that could run off 120v/20amp service. A good TIG was $1500 plus and iirc there wasn't a 120v option. I still MIG and oxy/acet most sheet. TIG is still in my dreams.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline HURCO550

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #9 on: Jul 23, 2017, 21:35:05 »
Your right Eric, tig prices have dropped crazy amounts in the last handful of years.  $1400 will now get you a ready to go Lincoln square wave 200 ac/DC (aka aluminum and steel) inverter with 120v and 220v capability. About $600 will get you a Chinese everlasting DC (steel only) tig that in my experience is more than adequate for us garage builders, if you can do without aluminum capability.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Keep er' Between The Ditches!!!

1976 BMW R90/6 farkilitious: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=74349.msg882477#msg882477
1975 RD350 Road Racer: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70652.msg833688#msg833688
1973 Ironhead Hardtail: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68135.msg788081#msg788081
1976 GT250 Rebuild: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=64973.new#new
Full Custom Pit Bike: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66954.new#new
1971 Yamaha 90cc twin HS1: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70498.0
"Two strokes are the motorcycle equivalent to Thors chariot. Full of glory and memories of battles victorious" ~ von yinzer
"Are there any die hard KZ550LTD fans in existence?" ~ doc_rot