www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Welding Gas Tanks  (Read 5284 times)

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
Re: Welding Gas Tanks
« Reply #20 on: Jul 27, 2017, 10:25:27 »
I have tig, stick , and mig welders.
I always go for the tig. Doesn't matter what I'm doing, I use the tig. The mig gets used very rarely to throw something together really fast or do field work off a generator, but the tig has so much more control.

You absolutely can use a mig for tanks. Bradj on here has done some amazing work with a mig.

My 200A tig pulls less than 20 amps at 220v

Offline datadavid

« Reply #21 on: Jul 28, 2017, 09:42:58 »
To run a tig continually over 90A you need bigger fuses than the 10A you probably have installed in your 220v circuits. I have never blown a 16A fuse welding on 140A which is max for my 220v machine. I wouldnt bother trying to seal a tank with co2 mig, too porous welds. You can just spot weld a tunnel to a tank and run a liner instead?

Offline datadavid

« Reply #22 on: Jul 28, 2017, 09:49:26 »
Btw i've only tried welding alloy with a 50% helium/argon gas once, but ive seen radiographs of helium vs argon, pretty cool, the melt goes at least twice as deep. Tried to weld together some 1/2" wall tube with one of these bad boys once:
https://www.ewm-group.com/en/ewmprodukte/geraete/tigacdc/tetrixac.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=ewm_flypage.tpl&product_id=377&category_id=36
It tended to set my gloves on fire before i could join the pieces😃

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
« Reply #23 on: Jul 28, 2017, 19:23:48 »
When i was very first learning to weld with MIG i decided to cut the seam off the bottom of a gas tank and weld it back together for a clean look. I got it done but after grinding the MIG welds back it definitely leaked. I sealed it up with some silver solder, and it holds fuel fine. Now that i can TIG i would use that instead though. Also i REALLY like silicon bronze for welding thin sheet metal.
---------------------------------
'78 KZ1000  Project

'80 KZ750 Twin Project

Offline Tune-A-Fish©

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • BOTM LOSER Proudly Deplorable
« Reply #24 on: Jul 28, 2017, 23:10:00 »
I got an AHP 200 amp inverter for $850 to my door off Amazon a few years back and other than the clumsy gas pedal that machine has been a super reliable tigger... 120/220 never seems to cycle out for my stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
"I didn't come here and I ain't leavin"  Willie Nelson

"love hard, live fast, die fun" Kacey Musgraves

"Like a Wreckin Ball!" Eric Church

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #25 on: Jul 29, 2017, 01:26:44 »
......Also i REALLY like silicon bronze for welding thin sheet metal.

With TIG and a 30 thou steel tank and say 1/16 thoriated electrode, how do you get the sil bronge to melt without melting the this steel?  Do you use MIG Sil Bronze wire or 1/16 TIG rods?

Offline der_nanno

• Faster!
    • Greasy Greg
« Reply #26 on: Jul 29, 2017, 05:29:11 »
@Ryan: The electrical system (except for the breakers) in my workshop is roughly as bad as the one in your house in Vienna and the old Stahlwerk TIG hasn't tripped the breaker (as of yet). TIG has a very steep learning curve, but is really, really rewarding in the long run. MIG is easier to master, but you will run into the limits.

I personally see MIG and TIG as two processes for very different applications: All the heavy stuff on my sidecar build has been done with MIG, as my MIG-machine has got a lot of grunt, I couldn't always get the tolerances to what I would like to see them with TIG and it blends in well with the stock welds (there's some funky rules and regulations overhere when it comes to modifying bikes), for the finer and finnicky stuff, I generally use TIG. Additionally MIG is more tolerant to gaps and impurities. If you want to TIG-weld something properly, you really have to re-learn the term "clean".

That being said, MIG and TIG cater for different needs and are not so much in direct opposition.
Real freedom starts with the freedom of thought.

My Blog:
http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at

My Turbo TR1.1 (XV1000) build here on DTT:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=72571

My XS Triple Sidecar build here on DTT:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=74211

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #27 on: Jul 29, 2017, 17:06:50 »
With TIG and a 30 thou steel tank and say 1/16 thoriated electrode, how do you get the sil bronge to melt without melting the this steel?  Do you use MIG Sil Bronze wire or 1/16 TIG rods?

I really like ceriated tungsten for the low amp stuff. I use 1/16" ceriated or lanthanated elctrode  0.045" sil bronze filler rod. It melts at a much lower temp than steel so its quite easy to not melt the steel. the trick is to do a back and forth pattern with the torch so you preheat the steel ahead of the puddle then back to the puddle before you dab and advance the puddle.
'78 KZ1000  Project

'80 KZ750 Twin Project

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #28 on: Aug 10, 2017, 05:15:57 »
IŽm a lucky guy.

My wife will buy me a brand new TIG I just need to pick a model that will suit my need.  8) 8)

Do you guys have some advice on which machine I should pick and what I should look out for?

Just found the firm ELMAG...do you guys know if these are any good?Will have a meeting with a technician...

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2017, 05:26:06 by Ryan Stecken »

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #29 on: Aug 10, 2017, 13:28:09 »
I have been using the Eastwood TIG 200 at home, Miller Syncrowave at work. the Syncrowave has a bunch of add-ons like arc pulse, and a cooling system. Its pretty big and heavy but a real workhorse for production fabrication downside it comes with a steep price tag. the Eastwood Tig its an entry level welder that does both AC and DC. its only $700 and has a three year warranty. My only gripe about it is the regulator it comes with was pretty chintzy so i had to replace that, and the foot pedal has a tendency to blink out when you are tapering off. I have had it for about 2 and a half years and it has been a fabulous welder for the money. This is some stainless I welded with the Eastwood welder.
'78 KZ1000  Project

'80 KZ750 Twin Project