DO THE TON Mama Tried #8!! Oct 6-8, 2017 in the Dirty South

that will make me rethink it it will depend on how customers react to getting jacked the 10 percent

if they expect me to deduct it in order to make a sale they have the wrong guy

so from my perspective the customer will have to bear it and i know that will not go over well

i am also not sure they can enforce it this year since i signed and they accepted my contract (took my money earlier in the year)

without notifying me of any change of terms till now

and they have to do it within 30 days prior to the event

and that is by there terms of contract and cancellation

you know i wonder what is going on
the tax rate is only 9 percent? barber making a bit in it?

http://www.sale-tax.com/BirminghamAL

cxman said:
you know i wonder what is going on
the tax rate is only 9 percent? barber making a bit in it?

http://www.sale-tax.com/BirminghamAL
Likely a 1% entertainment tax.

well im cancelling i dont need to be there admin

and i dont want to give a unilateral 10 percent discount on my stuff and i know the consumer will not be wanting to pay the jab tax

so steve will be there in the booths

But me and Murrays Carbs are not going

have fun

J-Rod10 said:
Got my vendor packet from Barber.

What a clusterfuck they have created. Show up on Tuesday now, to maybe get in on Wednesday. If they don't get you in on Wednesday, you get to stay another night in the staging lot. Absolutely no moving in to vendor spots after 6 p.m. Thursday. Instead of getting your parking passes and wristbands in the mail, you get a card, that you have to go take to the registration building, along with everyone you have tickets for. On top of that new hassle, vendors are now required to collect 10% in sales tax on every item sold to turn in to Barber before you leave. You can't leave until 2 p.m. Sunday.
Sending you a pm

cxman said:
well im cancelling i dont need to be there admin

and i dont want to give a unilateral 10 percent discount on my stuff and i know the consumer will not be wanting to pay the jab tax

so steve will be there in the booths

But me and Murrays Carbs are not going

have fun
Not even so much the 10% on the spot, but I, or anyone in business, will now have to pay Uncle Sam come tax time. There will be record of sales there now.

As someone whos been on the swap waiting list for several years with very little progress towards the "spot available" email, I'm glad vendors that dont sell are getting das boot. I walk by a bunch of empty spots each year that become places for ppl to loiter. And the swapmeet suffers not being full of vendors. That said, an easier way to enforce that would be to simply check off which vendors actually occupy lots or picks up passes. Not sales tax collection. Based on that idea, if I bring 6 bikes to sell and no one bites on them, I lose out on the spot next year, which makes no sense either. I see what they are trying to do, and i partially welcome it, because I've been stuck on an endless waiting list while some vendors sandbag. Let's see how this year goes, lots of new changes going on, they arent always smooth. Although, the sales tax mess is BS. They half enforced that last year in Ace corner. It didn't go well. But for the swap meet? how can they really enforce tasxation on cash transactions?

its not even just the taxation now since its bee officially brought up

you can bet there will be observers in the crowds then they just look at your total later

and assess you

i would not lie about it the issue for me is profitability my carb kits are upwards of 500 and 6 for a lot of them

i do sell smaller things but that does not pay

i spend 500 in hotels fuel food ect for the 4 days i normally offer a pick up discount

but now i believe add 10 percent to the sale will nix the sale for me and the customer will just order it online

and save the hassle and i am not going to discount my sales buy 20 percent its not worth going

for me i thought i payed in full every year we had our booths but i guess they want control of that

and if when you go to registration office to pick your stuff up and passes

they register you to collect the tax for the state then you become liable for back charge estimate and or audit by that state as well

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/alison/codeofalabama/1975/40-23-1.htm

Mr.E said:
As someone whos been on the swap waiting list for several years with very little progress towards the "spot available" email, I'm glad vendors that dont sell are getting das boot. I walk by a bunch of empty spots each year that become places for ppl to loiter. And the swapmeet suffers not being full of vendors. That said, an easier way to enforce that would be to simply check off which vendors actually occupy lots or picks up passes. Not sales tax collection. Based on that idea, if I bring 6 bikes to sell and no one bites on them, I lose out on the spot next year, which makes no sense either. I see what they are trying to do, and i partially welcome it, because I've been stuck on an endless waiting list while some vendors sandbag. Let's see how this year goes, lots of new changes going on, they arent always smooth. Although, the sales tax mess is BS. They half enforced that last year in Ace corner. It didn't go well. But for the swap meet? how can they really enforce tasxation on cash transactions?
When I originally talked to John about it six months ago, it was we're getting the people out that take up 4-5 spots with a RV and have one spot of parts, and people that buy extra spots to camp/park in. I'm all for that. That's a great idea.

A ton of businesses are set up in the swap. I sell enough there, but get a huge boom of online sales for a couple months after. They're wanting us to move from the $175 spots to the $1,500, minimum, spots in the fan zone.

Things started going a bit down hill when they started the offsite only parking, and people didn't want to run in and out to their car constantly, or carry shit around all day long.

I'm delivering 4 bikes that I've already sold. I've advised all 4 buyer that they are going to have to come to my hotel parking lot to pick up their bikes.

I'm NOT ABOUT to pay 10% for the "privilege" of getting to deliver already paid-for bikes within the pits.

They (Betor) screwed me in 2010 when my bike didn't sell at auction and I sold it later in the pits; they wouldn't give back the title and keys until I paid 10%. NEVER AGAIN. That auction sucked anyway, Mecum and Mid America know how to do it.

Why in the hell would you have to pay 10% sales tax on bikes you are just delivering? You owe sales taxes at point of sale in the state you sold them, not the state of delivery. This sales tax thing is for receipt bearing sales, not cash swap meet sales. They'd have a grand ol time trying to collect taxes on sales that can't be tracked. If I were renting a swap spot to sell used parts, then I'd amazingly get through the weekend without selling a damn thing. If Murray takes his company to Alabama to sell carbs, which he would be doing in this case, then he should be accountable to Alabama's taxes. Technically, any time you make money in another state (like a job) you have to file taxes for that state. Fortunately, most of us are just dudes that have stuff to get rid of. We're not businesses declaring this income. If I'm lucky enough to sell the bike I'm bringing to sell, good luck to them finding me to get any money. As far as they're concerned, the bike never sold. As far as the Feds are concerned, it's a hobby loss. As far as I'm concerned, nobody saw anything.

clem said:
So tax on used stuff in the swap??? 10% more for that old rusty tank? Or is this just for vendors selling new?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app
All vendors in the swap are getting tax collection packets upon check in.

I believe the tax should only apply to parts, not whole bikes. The state gets their money when the bike is registered not when it's sold.

I'm curious how this is going to work. You can't just collect sales tax. You have to be permitted to do so by the state. I'm thinking that has to do with the not getting all the stuff in the mail this year, and getting it onsite, along with the tax stuff. I figure, as you pick up your stuff, you'll be given a temporary permit to collect sales tax. Few local events operate that way.

On another note, spots N1 and N2 will be available next year. I'll camp from now on, and just enjoy the weekend.

Yeah they will sell you a state business license when you get there. Probably 20 dollars. Then give you a packet to fill out and hand in with your sales at the end of the weekend.
I can't speak for barber as I haven't done it but I've done a LOT of shows through the years and I have never claimed anywhere near actual sales maybe I'll report 10% of actual sales and pocket the rest. Even if you're accepting cards they have no way of accessing your financials if you're an out of state vendor. So pay them enough to not get the boot next year and go along.

Also customers do understand sales tax, you just have to tell them "pay cash or you'll be paying tax, courtesy of the event this year not me" no one will care. The ones that do will pay cash.

I am just about done being forced into subservient duty as an agent of the state.

Yeah, I know, this is off-topic; so sue me.

I AM BLOODY SICK AND TIRED of out-of control government on EVERY level.

The ENTIRETY of it serves little more than to feed the appetite of the machine, which is basically the power brokers that require ever more government to manage ever more government.

I'M DONE.

Back
Top Bottom