www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Dent in Tank best process  (Read 707 times)

Offline JMPUK

Dent in Tank best process
« on: Aug 20, 2017, 10:14:55 »
Hi Guys

I have a dent in my sr250 tank.

I am unsure whether to keep the patina as is and seal or get sprayed.... I will however require dent out.

Is it possible for this to be pulled out or will it have to be filled or similar?

From what I can see the rest of it seems pretty straight..

Cheers

JP

Offline J-Rod10

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Slipstream Cycle Works
Re: Dent in Tank best process
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2017, 12:59:15 »
You could pull it, some.

I usually weld. Some studs, and use a slide hammer I made with a drill chuck on it. Tighten the chuck on the stud, pop it out a bit, go to next stud, and on and on until you have it close.

Offline JMPUK

« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2017, 13:04:14 »
Cheers bud

If I decide to go the painted route which I probably would it be best to blast, prime and then fill in that order?

My only concern is that if I ever wanted to bring the tank back to bare metal, if I have the dent filled it I would never be able to is that right?

Cheers

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using DO THE TON mobile app

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2017, 14:41:32 »
That's a small dent.  You could try vinegar and baking soda.  Put a small amount of baking soda in it (1/2 cup), then pour in a half liter of vinegar close it up.  The reaction will build pressure and pop it out.  There is a risk of spreading the tank tunnel, and if you build up pressure too much, you can pop a seam, but if you're careful it'll be fine.  I have yet to pop a seem after 20 or so tanks. 

Offline JMPUK

« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2017, 14:48:56 »
Until I read the full message I thought you were having me on haha it started off like an old wives tail!

Although I like the sound of that and would love to give it a go I just cant risk ballsing it up... I will however save this one for the memory tank and strive to try it at some stage!!

Cheers buddy

Offline Karlloss

« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2017, 03:53:08 »
Looking at the dent, I'm not sure the baking soda approach will work. I'd go with the slide hammer route. I use washers gently tacked onto the tank to hook the slide hammer into.

Another method I've used on dented exhausts is to plug the holes and use compressed air to pressurise the exhaust then gently heat the dent until it pops out.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline JMPUK

« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2017, 05:11:22 »
Looking at the dent, I'm not sure the baking soda approach will work. I'd go with the slide hammer route. I use washers gently tacked onto the tank to hook the slide hammer into.

Another method I've used on dented exhausts is to plug the holes and use compressed air to pressurise the exhaust then gently heat the dent until it pops out.

Thanks Karlloss

Not sure what the first method is but will look into it. Would it not be worth cutting the tank open and attacking from the inside or just filling and being done with it??

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using DO THE TON mobile app

Offline Karlloss

Dent in Tank best process
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2017, 05:49:39 »
I wouldn't cut the tank, as rewelding will be a pain and will need an extortionate amount of time to get the welds smoothed and the shape of the tank back.

There are some good videos on YouTube that show you how to pull the dents using a slide hammer. You can get a slide hammer from eBay for less than £15 / $20.

You could just fill it, as it won't make much difference to the capacity of the tank. Which ever method you use there will be some filling involved.

« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2017, 05:51:26 by Karlloss »

Offline XS750AU

« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2017, 07:30:52 »
+1 on welding some studs along the crease line and then use a slide hammer to pull out the dent as best you can. It will need filling and I much prefer to use lead lap rather than epoxy fillers. Lead lap is just putting a layer of solder over the area and then filing it back. Lead lap will not fall out in 5 years like epoxy can.
My lead lap is not perfect, but it will only need a little spot putty to get it right.
“Engineering is the art of being approximately right rather than exactly wrong.”

Yamaha XS750-2D
Yamaha XS896
Husaberg FE550
Yamaha TT250
Yamaha IT200N

Offline hillsy

« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2017, 08:36:05 »
Seeing how it has a crease in it you won't be able to get that dent out fully without getting a dolly behind it.

Slide hammer with tack welded studs will get you pretty close though. Don't try compressed air or pressure as you will probably balloon the tank.