CB350 Rattle when Clutch Engaged

HiroProtagonist

Been Around the Block
Hey all,

My CB350 is rattling somewhere in the engine when the clutch is engaged. It goes away as soon as I pull the clutch cable in. I'm going to pull off the clutch cover this week and take a look around, just wanted to see if y'all had any experience with this and advice on places to start looking.

Clutch cover is great place to start. It could be something simple like a loose piece of the clutch actuator. There's a little ball held in a detent there.

OK!

Update:

Changed the oil. The magnetic drain plug had a ton of shavings on it, but they were all super fine - no chunks. Mostly ended up looking like a paste.

Took apart and reassembled the clutch basket. Nothing broken or wonky in any way.

Took off the sprocket cover. Nothing loose or anything weird there.

Nothing visibly loose when I took the clutch cover off.

Reassembled, and the sound was the same. One thing I realized: The sound still is there when I'm in neutral with the clutch pulled in. The only thing that STOPS the rattle is when I am in gear with the clutch pulled in and the wheel is stopped - the rattle starts up even in gear with the clutch pulled in if the wheel starts moving at all.

Used a mechanics stethoscope and it sounds like the sound is coming from a little in from the clutch area. Might also just be from the clutch area.

Any thoughts?

Sorry I was confused. When you say the sound is coming from the clutch area, do you mean the area where the clutch cable enters the cases or the opposite side where the clutch plates are located? Either way, it seems like technically the sound is there when the clutch is not engaged (i.e. the clutch lever is pulled). Post a video of the noise and maybe someone else with a keen ear can chime in.

Roger!

And it's on the clutch plate side. And yeah, I realized after starting it up again that it's also there when it's not engaged (lever pulled in). Only time it's NOT there is in gear with wheel not moving.

Back
Top Bottom