Instructional Videos

Sonreir

Oregon
DTT SUPPORTER
So... we've been toying with the idea about starting to put together some instructional videos dealing with motorcycle electrics and electronics. For starters, we're going to cover some of our own products (installation, features, etc), but we'd also like to branch out into other areas of electrical knowledge. What kind of videos would you like to see?

Anything really. I am a complete idiot when it comes to wiring. I can always manage to mess it up somehow.

I think there is two areas that cause most of the trepidation. Charging and spark. Discounting modern highly integrated electrical systems, I think most people understand how the lights, horn, fuses, and switches work at least in principal. Thinking back to getting my first bike, I found the 3 phase alternator completely unfathomable and thought the spark happened when the points closed. I often think how much aggravation I would have been spared if I only had found a concise explanation of these basic and (then) common systems. Seems to me if you understand how the core charging/generating system works, it is pretty easy to tack on all the other elements and the whole electrical system gets a lot more friendly. I'd start with the common versions of creating a stable electrical power supply first and build off of that.

Also, thinking back, and even to the present, a lot of the information one needs as a novice is overlooked by instructors simply because that info has become so basic to them that they don't think to include it. There are a lot of basic skills (soldering, insulating, making looms, connections, etc) that would make great instructional videos, but often very important information is missing - namely exactly what materials and parts are used. I seem to recall you being quite good at mentioning these things typically, so I hope if you take up this very worthy project you will make a point to include product specifications, manufacturers, and sellers, as well as ancillary tools (like terminal crimpers) and especially where to get them. Additionally, I believe in directly stating your preference for specific brands and why. It takes experience to discover what the "good stuff" is, and few things are as frustrating while learning a new skill as working around poor quality ingredients!

Lots of good suggestions above.

I'll chime in and riff on the topic a bit.

I am continually surprised at just how many people are baffled/intimidated by electrics.

Perhaps you should start with a super-basic conceptual explanation of what all is going on in a bike harness, and explain the few variants found in old(ish) bikes.
I could see a general overview of 12VDC, charging system, ignition system, fuses, etc.
Then a segment about permanent magnet rotor vs electromagnet charging systems.
Then a segment of 6VDC vs 12VDC.
Then a segment on the positive earth system compared to standard.

Electrics are essentially all logic (at least to me) and there are a TON of folks who treat it like it's voodoo.

Then again, this could easily be a few hours worth of content, some of which almost certainly already exists somewhere.
Perhaps you start with building a clearinghouse of links to good content that's already out there, then supplement where needed?

In any event, it really needs done, and you would be a great voice to do it.

And if you haven't seen it, look into an IOS app called "explain anything" that is a super slick way to record these kinds of videos...

Great discussion topic, Matt!

The system changes to go from old skool to new regulator/rectifiers?
Selecting and wiring for re-locating an AGM or lithium battery?
LED bulbs, flasher relays diodes and resistors?

Only small topics, but would be good to make clear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom