Dyna Coils DC3-1 and NGK Iridium IX BR8EIX spark plugs on CB350

DrJ

Over 1,000 Posts
I finally installed a pair of Dyna coils on my CB350 and it's a great improvement over stock. The old coils just weren't sparking very well anymore, plugs were fouling regularly. Most difficult aspect of installing Dynas is the size. They are larger than stock and will not bolt directly to the coil bracket. I made extension pieces that were welded on and ground down other areas.

3406659881_1257890c66.jpg
3407468686_f51a706c05.jpg

Originally I was going to mount them with the cable output on the bottom but realized I needed to keep that area clear for my steering damper bracket so the coils were mounted with the output on top.

3406660947_e863e9324a.jpg
3407470454_e1abfc5019.jpg

My other criteria was that the whole unit needed to fit under the tank just like stock. I didn't want anything peeking out. So the coil extensions were fabricated to mount the coils as closely as possible with just enough clearance for the tank.

3406661535_7c7934facc.jpg

Condenser bracket was reshaped to fit the new coils and tuck inside the frame. Final result is a very compact unit.

3406662603_a1f1cb96c8.jpg

After all my installation and wiring was complete, I test fired the coils with a plug and watched the spark. Bam, new spark was twice as big as the old one. Put gas in the tank and the motor fired on the second kick after 5 month winter sleep. After the carbon cleared it idled strongly and smoothly. I highly recommend everyone with a vintage bike to upgrade the coils. But performance comes at a price and Dyna coils are not cheap. Mine were around $180 Canadian. But I figure any decent new coil will do, probably a pair from a Kawi EX500.

175-3438-IgnitionCoils-1.jpg

Since my initial installation, I have switched the recommended NGK B8ES spark plugs with a pair NGK Iridium IX BR8EIX and further improved ignition performance. Throttle response is very snappy and crisp and smooth through the rev range.

iridiumix.jpg

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/spark_plugs/iridiumix.asp#

http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/downloads/Default.aspx

nice job on the bracketry. I'm glad you posted because my KZ1000 has had everything done but ignition and fouls #1 plug every time. I just ordered new Dyna coils, DS2 ign, and wires. looking forward to install and smooth (hope) running miles. thx for the tip on the plugs as well. will check into that. now I need a steering damper-yours is cool....???what is it??

isolato said:
now I need a steering damper-yours is cool....???what is it??

I picked it up at a swap meet. There is no manufacturer label but it is a high quality aluminum body unit. Another useful feature is the bracket, it is not part of the body so it can slide freely which makes mounting more flexible. When looking for a damper, I recommend getting one with this feature.

Another note, the plugs were still getting slightly carbonized to I switched to a hotter plug, NGK B7ES. Fiddled a bit with the carbs again and now I'm getting a perfect tan colour on the electrodes of both plugs. Also switched to 87 octane instead of 91 and my fuel economy has increased at least 10%. This is the best my bike has ever ran.

Kuyarico said:
Sounds awesome. Do you know if Dyna makes an electronic ignition for the 350 as well?

No, Dynatek does not make an electronic ignition for the CB350 twin. But here's the thread on how to convert a GL1100 ignition to a CB450 that may work for a 350. There's an attached PDF in one of the posts.

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=7777.0

my dyna setup went really easy. static timing instructions proved sucessful. I had it checked with a light and it was spot on. much crisper response tho still fouling #1. I re-cleaned carb and went down a size on the intake shim and it's cured. starts the instant you hit the button, runs great, tan color. next bike will have 2 less cyls.

I am working on a 71 cb350 right now, its the first bike that I have worked on so I am learning through my clymer and these forums. Quick question regarding coils for you guys.

I have been running rich and constantly fouling plugs, ruled out the carbs, no matter how small the jets or the adjustment the thing always runs rich, seems to have good compression so. Coils. Spark isnt very sparky which is another reason I think this.

I was looking to see if I could just clean the connections and I noticed one of the wires pinched into the engine mount. I pulled it out and noticed it was frayed so I wrapped it with it some tape. Now I am not getting any spark on that cylinder. Was this grounded to the frame? Is this the reason I jumped 8 feet in the air when it backfired?

I think I am just going to order these coils from JC Whitney unless you all yell at me and tell me not to :D

http://www.jcwhitney.com/IGNITION-COILS/GP_2005149_N_111+1971+200730429+600001798_10111.jcw

Feedback appreciated!

davecaputo said:
I think I am just going to order these coils from JC Whitney unless you all yell at me and tell me not to :D

http://www.jcwhitney.com/IGNITION-COILS/GP_2005149_N_111+1971+200730429+600001798_10111.jcw

Feedback appreciated!

From the feedback, it looks good. But you still need to buy the wires and connectors.

Yeah I was going to go with some accel wires. As far as connecters would I just need some of these ring tongue ones?

http://www.allproducts.com/manufacture13/uta/12-ring_terminal-l.jpg

I noticed that on the coils on the bike right now the wiring goes straight into the coil so I am going to have to slice that off and put on a new ring end. Or replace the wires completely? If so is there a gauge/type of wire I should be using to replace it?

Thanks so much for the help. This is the last thing to fix on this bike and it's had me a bit nervous

Yes, you can cut off the small wires off the old coils and solder eye connectors to the ends and bolt them to the new coils.

make sure timing and valve clearances are in spec. it was my intake valve too tight that I think caused a terminaly rich #1 for me. my Dyna ign and coil/plug wires did not fix it, tho it's definitely perkier.

isolato said:
make sure timing and valve clearances are in spec. it was my intake valve too tight that I think caused a terminaly rich #1 for me. my Dyna ign and coil/plug wires did not fix it, tho it's definitely perkier.

Thanks isolato! Yeah I have a compression gauge coming this week so I am going to test that too. I actually JUST bought a kawasaki w650 today so I am feeling a little less stressed about all of this. Thanks much for all your help guys!

W650?? awesome bike. I wish I'd bought the one I had my eye on a few years ago. Was a new one leftover 2 years, went for "make offer". Can't find a used one now for under 4k. (sometimes 5) -post pics!

is that avatar from "Army of Darkness"? -great movie

isolato said:
W650?? awesome bike. I wish I'd bought the one I had my eye on a few years ago. Was a new one leftover 2 years, went for "make offer". Can't find a used one now for under 4k. (sometimes 5) -post pics!

is that avatar from "Army of Darkness"? -great movie

Yeah I kind of gave up finding one and randomly saw it on craigslist last night. It just went up and the guy lived 5 mins away, he was actually my safety instructor at the MSF course! The bike has about 12000 miles on it, all new cafe parts (rear sets, new seat) and I got it off him for $3200. It needs a few things, new rear brakes, seat is a little wonky. Nothing major though. I am so excited! I am getting it tomorrow so I will post some pics!

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/1276447577.html

Kuyarico said:
Sounds awesome. Do you know if Dyna makes an electronic ignition for the 350 as well?

maybe this is a stupid question but im a noob so here goes.

dyna makes an electronic ignition to fit cb350f models. will it fit on a cb350t and use a lost spark like is described in some of the threads where people are moding e-ignitions from different bikes that have 4 cylinders to fit twins?

before i replace my stock cb350 coil, i wanna run a test. what is the best way to test it with an ohmeter?

also, i remember someone wrote that the black 5ohm dyna coils would be a better replacement than the 3ohm green one. is that true?

JP

space pup said:
dyna makes an electronic ignition to fit cb350f models. will it fit on a cb350t and use a lost spark like is described in some of the threads where people are moding e-ignitions from different bikes that have 4 cylinders to fit twins?

I've never heard of anyone adapting the 4 cylinder Dyna ignition to a 2 cylinder bike. Although it's well-documented that the GL1000 ignition can be made to work on the CB450, which is not that far off from the CB350 twin.

primo said:
before i replace my stock cb350 coil, i wanna run a test. what is the best way to test it with an ohmeter?

also, i remember someone wrote that the black 5ohm dyna coils would be a better replacement than the 3ohm green one. is that true?

I've never tested my stock coils with an ohm meter but I'm sure the manual describes how to. Apparently, the 3 ohm coils are good for points ignition and the 5 ohm coils are for CDI ignition. I've had no problems so far with 3 ohm coils on my points ignition CB350 twin.

Back
Top Bottom