CB350 Built by a teen (Weld Now, Grind Later)

Re: CB350 Built by a teen

Gotta agree with zonda on getting your tools from Garage sales, my dad and step-mom go to garage sales every weekend the deals that he finds are pretty amazing. Mostly its from ole guys that never even open the packages.

Get some pics up and lets see the progress.

Jay

jay_kent said:
Gotta agree with zonda on getting your tools from Garage sales, my dad and step-mom go to garage sales every weekend the deals that he finds are pretty amazing. Mostly its from ole guys that never even open the packages.

Get some pics up and lets see the progress.

Jay

more pics this weekend...

if the weathers nice ill work this weekend and post up two more days of work

I read your thread on Caferacer, don’t trip, everyone here is really cool. Fuck them. Great bike to start a project. Good luck, you’re doing better than me. can’t wait to see the pictures.

Jay

Man, that bike was a really clean stocker. Don't know if I would've cafe'd it or not. woof...

Good luck on your build though.

Useful Idiot said:
Man, that bike was a really clean stocker. Don't know if I would've cafe'd it or not. woof...

Good luck on your build though.

ditto. with a little elbow grease and some cleaning, you could've easily flipped this for $1,600+ to fund a trashy cafe conversion. woof...

:)

can't wait to see your progress

rafanomenon said:
ditto. with a little elbow grease and some cleaning, you could've easily flipped this for $1,600+ to fund a trashy cafe conversion. woof...

:)

can't wait to see your progress

i could have...

but truth is, i could end up spending 600 bucks on a POS, that needs way more then 1000 bucks just to get it into stock runnning condition.

Also, I can make all of that 800 dollars profit (or possibly more) just by selling the stock parts.

Thats the sad truth about these old beauties.

If it was somthiing like and old norton, it would a stocker. But for real guys... out of the 400,000 CB's out there... why would i spend my time on a POS when i can take a stocker and build a beautiful racer?

the bike you have is a great start! keep that one and build on it! it is your first bike, great size for a first bike, parts are easy to come by, easy motor to work with... keep that sucker and build it up

Didn't get around to work this weekend, but heres last weekends work...

Day 3

Plans: Remove carbs and exhaust pipes

Things to keep in mind: Nothing really... that blue shit is the cover i have flaking off.

Carbs Removed
IMG_2826.jpg

Pipes Removed
IMG_2825.jpg

Got the pegs off

IMG_2827.jpg

About time i got some work done ;)

rain has been taking up my time....

last weekend i got the final bits (before final teardown ;)) of dissasembly done. All thats left is for me to remove the front end and swingarm and bring the frame and engine into my workshop. My grandfather gave me his old craftsman toolset.... MORE LIKE NEW! saved me loads and loads of time... ill love that man till death.

Cheers!

Day 4
Plans: Remove all electronics

IMG_2885.jpg

IMG_2889.jpg

looks like it's coming along nicely... where in new york are ya?? just take it slow and it helps to bag/label small stuff when it comes time to put back. i am in the same process as you. :)

that is the best advice you can get! that and go DL a service manual! there are links on here for them if you can not find one let me know and i will send you a PDF... i use dollar store zip lock bags on EVERY SINGLE build i do! helps to keep everything organized and know where everything came from and goes to...

JRK5892 said:
that is the best advice you can get! that and go DL a service manual! there are links on here for them if you can not find one let me know and i will send you a PDF... i use dollar store zip lock bags on EVERY SINGLE build i do! helps to keep everything organized and know where everything came from and goes to...

im one step above you guys...

i got everything organised by type of part, then individiual pieces in ziplocks withing the type of part box... so kind of like this...

Box/draw for electronics
Headlight wires on the left........ignition stuff in the middle.......tailight on the right.

I have a clymers manual, videos bookmarked, Service manual downloaded AND bookmarked- soon to print it out, Parts and everything i could ever need bookmarked etc etc.

slapi01 said:
looks like it's coming along nicely... where in new york are ya?? just take it slow and it helps to bag/label small stuff when it comes time to put back. i am in the same process as you. :)

Brooklyn- 10 minutes ride into manhattan (with light traffic)

Day 5

Ok i havent updated this thread in a longgg longgg time...

but ive gotten a shitload of work done. Its late tonight, so im only posting up pics from day 5 that i had uploaded on my photobucket. I will get some fresh pics uploaded tomorrow and will update the thread as soon as possible.

Heres my workshop the day i brought all of my stuff downstairs. yes, im working in a basement. Damn the city.

IMG_2905.jpg

IMG_2901.jpg

Starter was the first thing that i had ripped off the motor.

IMG_2906.jpg

What are you planning on doing for a plug where the started was? I'm thinking about ditching the starter since my solenoid's fried, but if I do that I'm gonna want a SL bottom end so I don't have the odd mount just hanging out there.

kadavenport said:
What are you planning on doing for a plug where the started was? I'm thinking about ditching the starter since my solenoid's fried, but if I do that I'm gonna want a SL bottom end so I don't have the odd mount just hanging out there.

i used one of those 5 dollar rubber plugs from the local auto shop... was a bit tricky to get in, but when its in and you tighten the screw its totally oil... and probably air tight.

will get some pics up this weekend.

Cool, yea def get some pics up of it. I've heard of the rubber plug thing before, but didn't know you could just go pick one up at the auto parts.

kadavenport said:
Cool, yea def get some pics up of it. I've heard of the rubber plug thing before, but didn't know you could just go pick one up at the auto parts.

sure thing... ill probably update the thread tomorrow... especially now that i polished all of the left side engine covers

just go into your local pepboys or autozone or anything and look for a chunk of circular rubber with a bolt through it with a big washer on one side.

or ask them for rubber block off plugs.

the tighter the fit, the better. i had to freeze mine and then use a block of wood and two c clamps to get it in. it would have gone in if they had some metric sizes... haha.

Back
Top Bottom