First Cafe Build - 1980 KZ440

Big-D

Been Around the Block
I decided to start building a cafe for something to do in the garage. Picked up this for $250. All it needed was a new battery and plug to get it started.
001.jpg

Once I had it running, I started tearing it down. Started getting rid of the horrid signals, fenders, and other junk.
IMG_3200.jpg

Then I began removing the tank, seat, battery, covers, etc.
IMG_3202.jpg

And finally started numbering and removing the wire harness.
IMG_3203.jpg

I purchased some 04-05 GSXR750 Forks to put on. Ill press out the stems and make an adapter to fit the KZ stem into the GSXR lower triple.
IMG_3207.jpg

IMG_3206.jpg

I decided to go with mags rather than spoke to keep my cost down. Gonna use front a rear radial disc brakes, clip ons, vintage firestones, and some other goodies to come soon.

Here are a few builds that I have been gathering ideas and thought from:
Built by Wrenchmonkees
GPCB02.jpg

image_20_1.jpg

And a couple to introduce myself...I used to be pretty big into the Street Freestyle scene
CamiesWedding013.jpg

6b5a.jpg

Hey bro, those bikes that your getting ideas from are sweet, very much the style i like and base my projects on too!!! i look forward to seeing your project come along :D

So heres an update since last time.
I dropped the motor and removed some of the extra tabs, etc. New ones will be added later as needed.
IMG_3214.jpg

IMG_3213.jpg

IMG_3212.jpg

Picked up a 2000 KZ1000 Police rear wheel, front to come soon.
IMG_3215.jpg

Looks like its going to be a cool build. I really like those Wrenchmonkees, they build some very cool bikes.

Smoking Star said:
YOur in iowa city?, Im going to be moving down there from cedar rapids, we should hang out.
I used to live in Iowa City. Lived there for 7 years. Just moved to Ankeny

tobiism said:
Looks like its going to be a cool build. I really like those Wrenchmonkees, they build some very cool bikes.
Thanks man...I am waiting on to finish wiring my 49 before I can get the frame into my pop's shop to have him do a lot of welding.
I have rearsets/linkage off an 05-06 636. Ill be using the radial calipers on the front end as well as on the rear. Might be overkill, but oh well..looks cool as hell. Im going to make it a monoshock on the rear. Picked up a shock from an 02 GSXR 750 (I think?). Once I get some welding done, I will have a lot more progress pics up.

An update, I started my tank dent.
IMG_3272.jpg

My last name is Oliver, so I thought it was only fitting to put an old grill emblem off an Oliver tractor on the tank. This is the mock up.
oliver.jpg

Here are the rearsets off an 06 Kawi zx-6r
IMG_3278.jpg

I removed the swingarm to get started on mounting the mono shock.
frame_SA.jpg

IMG_3280.jpg

And I got the old lower triple ground down, ready to press the stem out.
IMG_3274.jpg

Removed the switch mount and smoothed out the upper triple.
IMG_3281.jpg

Wow man this is really custom through and through. How you going about mounting that mono-shock? Is it somehow welded to the swingarm? Kudos on really tearin into her and the Oliver deco is sick!

gribbs said:
Wow man this is really custom through and through. How you going about mounting that mono-shock? Is it somehow welded to the swingarm? Kudos on really tearin into her and the Oliver deco is sick!
Thanks. Ya Im going to have a brace on the bottom of the swingarm, and the resevoir will be right under the pivot. My Dad is a good fabricator, so hes going to help me out with the welding and stuff.

Wow that rear wheel looks great on there w/ the white lettering. This is going to be a crazy bike. I love that Yellow MC bike you posted as inspiration.

Im using 06 Kawasaki ZX-6R forks instead. The GSXR ones turned out to be bent. So Im running an 03-04 triple, and 06 forks. Heres a couple pics of the triple with the adapter and KZ stem pressed in. Tomorrow Ill get the All Balls tapered bearing kit, so Ill get those put in this weekend. I still need to make some spacers for the discs to get the wheel centered, and machine the axle. Im also waiting on my 636 upper triple to come in, then I need to machine that out to fit the KZ stem.

IMG_3407.jpg

IMG_3408.jpg

Sounds like alot of work man, so good job workin away at it. How do you "machine" an axle? are you make it smaller to fit through a hub?

Thanks Guys...I will definitely take lots of pics and keep posting up. I started working on the spacing for the discs and wheel yesterday. Still a few issues to work on, but shouldnt be major!

I'm very excited to see a KZ4 taken so far!! I'd love to build a much more aggressive racer out of one once the current is finished. I'm anxious for updates alreadY!

Back
Top Bottom