Norton Combat Commando "Do-Over"

grandpaul

Author, "Old Bikes"
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
Back story:

I picked this bike up from a friend some years ago, in all I bought a Triumph, BSA and 2 Norton big twins from him. This '72 Combat came to me in the form of a not-quite rolling (no axles, just long bolts) chassis, with a fresh Leo Goff built engine (Memphis Motor Werks). Apart from that, it had a Norvil 13" fully floating front disc brake, and an ARD micro magneto new in the box. I liked the look of the Corbin seat, but it was WAY too hard for my taste. Bodywork was nice "10 foot" stuff, lots of debris in the fresh paint.

308408498.jpg

I picked up this Dunstall bodywork some time later and tried it on for size (along with new Thomaseilli adjustable clip-ons, clubman rearsets, and a set of peashooter mufflers)...

310418205.jpg

I wasn't too sure I had fully acquired the taste for this look...

Once I got it assembled and running, I tried the Corbin seat with a High Rider tank and liked the look (a LOT). Rode it around a bit, but that seat was just too hard...

311891629.jpg

So, it ended up with the LR tank & dualseat. I acquired the taste.

312321129.jpg

I rode it some, but with so many bikes, it ended up being neglected. With no emotional attachment, it went up for sale last year and sold to a guy from California. The new owner wanted the bike to look the same, or very similar, but in polished alloy, including new shouldered wheels.

So, I sold off the bodywork on e-bay, set up an order with Evan Wilcox (6 month waiting list), unlaced the wheels and sent the hubs and spokes to Buchanan's (spokes were already Buchanan's best).

414075678.jpg

Wheels got back about a month later, meanwhile a set of new Avon Roadriders and new tubes and rim strips arrived; all of that got done quickly.

414075677.jpg

Evan sent me this photo the day he finished the seat (mid October); then I told him to go ahead and make me a set of sidecovers (e-bay Indian burn).

414075676.jpg

Almost to the day, (6 months), the bodywork started arriving around Thanksgiving. First thing I test-fit was the fairing; turned out the steering arc aperture was too small, could hardly swing thru half the normal arc...

414075675.jpg

So, trimming time...

414075674.jpg

Dec 1st - Much better! Full range of steering travel, just need to adjust the control lever and bar angle for full operational clearance (this ought to be fun)

414075738.jpg

I found a matching pair of thin, flat, chrome brackets that I easily bent into perfect Z-patterns and mounted the lower/rears in conjunction with the front gas tank mounting studs. Piece of cake, all rubber isolated, as are the adjustable front mounts, and as will be the seat & sidecovers. Tank has proper front and rear thin and thick foam pads, plus all the rubber washers up front and rubber bands at the rear.

Installed a new wiring harness (I never rode it at night, so never needed a wiring harness with the magneto). Almost half the wires go unused with a magneto and modern regulator/rectifier.

Had to fabricate a bracket for the left sidecover, but I had a spare cover on hand, so making the pattern was easy.

414075737.jpg

Just waiting on the seat to arrive from Wilcox to finish everything up, will have to take the removable seat pan to my upholsterer and have him do a leather number on it, still need decals Might have some on the shelf), idiot lights (might also have some on the shelf), fuel taps & gaskets, and fuel line (sold that stuff with the old tank). Then, an oil and plug change (carbs are already clean and ready to go, along with a new battery). I think the bloody final nail will be the screw-in microswitch for the front brake light, it has to get here from France.

Back
Top Bottom