CB200 '73 tracker project - DONE :D

Bons

Hi all!

My name is Jene, 23 y/o girl from the Netherlands. At this moment working hard to get my driverslicence, and in the meanwhile working on my bike together with my friend Bert Jan (also on this forum with his CB550 tracker)

A year ago I bought a 1973 CB125 K5 to build my first bike. However, it didn't have the right papers so shortly after I bought a second bike, an old cb200. Two crappy old bikes can make one damn pretty one :)

We tore them both apart to fit in two big boxes and thats the start of my own big arse project.
Engine was still running after all those years (10 years in a shed) on the old gas. <3 honda already.
Since the kickstart-axle was worn, we had to push it to start. Fired up right away. Plan is to use the CB200 frame and engine and some spare parts from the 125 and 200.

At first I wanted my bike to be something like a cafe racer but tracker seemed more my style. Maybe cafe's are more for the old-nostalgic-midlifecrisis-kind-of-guys... ;)

We took the 200 engine out to check, clean and paint and took the rest upstairs.

vliegendemotor.jpg

What I did already:(with some help and a good manual...)
- Sandblasted and painted the top end of the engine.
- Cleaned the carbs.
- Got the cillinders honed
- Installed new piston rings
- Polished the alternator-cover and painted the logo's red :D
- Lapped the valves and installed new valve seals
- installed everything with fresh gaskets and shiny new hardware.

This evening we bought some kickass wheels. So far so good, but what really matters are the big plans:

- Flat seat
- Red frame
- Fuel tank blasted and the plan is to etch the honda logo in it, and then finish it of with some clear topcoat.
- New exhaust, not sure yet what to get though.
- New tires

All comments are very welcome, I'm new to bikes and a total noob when it comes to engines. (well, not anymore now :) ) But i'm not stupid and always willing to learn new things :D

And now some pics!

01042011510.jpg

25082010059.jpg

How I got them.
Good to know, they both fit in a Suzuki Wagon R+....

Schermafbeelding2011-06-28om150301.png

nice and clean

29112011558.jpg

29112011559.jpg

got the cillinders honed

04122011562.jpg

empty mockup, a bit dirty but getting there!

More to come and I hope you guys can help me on some things!

Re: CB200 '73 tracker project

And another one. The CB200 Builders are going to have to start our own chapter of DTT. Shrunken Heads maybe? :)

Cool Project and welcome to DTT.

Yup. Very cool to see some smaller bikes than the 350s/360s too. Couldn't be an every day driver where I live, but looks fun for sure!

Schermafbeelding2011-12-28om001547.png

Looking a bit sad now...

Started yesterday on my fueltank. I was planning on removing all the paint and leaving it unpainted (except for a transparent coating). So i bought "super-paint remover" and started enthousiastically :)
Coated the whole thing in smelly goo and waited. and waited. and waited. nothing happened.

Schermafbeelding2011-12-28om001639.png

Schermafbeelding2011-12-28om001315.png

Tried the old-fashioned way of sanding paper. Cause of 2nd christmas day I had to do it by hand. Don't think my neighbours would enjoy the sound of a electrical sanding-thing while eating their christmas-turkeys.
Today i almost finished it with the machine. Still a lot of work. Last bits of paint will be removed by sandblasting next week. The top part will be covered by a black thing.

Schermafbeelding2011-12-28om001400.png

Leaves the big question: what to do next? My first idea was to leave it unpainted and to find a way to 'etch' a logo in it. But where the old tanklogos were placed, the tank is really ugly. So the first option is to place the original tank logos back on the fueltank (which is nice but a bit dull too...)and the second option is to find a way to cover the holes on the sides.
Any ideas or opinons on this subject?

Schermafbeelding2011-12-28om001441.png

I bought some rims from a derbi senda supermotard moped, hoping they would fit somehow. Rearhub was a straight fit (haha wtf!) and front rim is now on the honda-hub using a creative spokepattern and make the old spokes fit.
My McGyver friend Bert Jan laced the wheel. Whoohoo, progression at last!

Also made a quick photoshop on how it could be. I'd like all the advice too make it better, hotter, tougher, sexier, sweeter and so on ;)

Schermafbeelding2011-12-27om234854.png

Netherlands? Upstairs garage? Awesome pully-to-upstairs-garage? This build looks like it will be awesome! For the tank, they make dent filler material that you can use to fill dents, but I'm also guessing you could use to fill those holes. Of course then you'd have to paint it, or do something to cover up the filler. What if you took the logo bits and customized those while you look for a way to etch a giant Honda wing into the bare metal? Just rando thoughts, looks great so far.

I think the bare tank with stock emblems and the rubber center strip would look killer. IMHO, I learned the more time you dick around with trying to improve and improvise, the more time your wasting. Work with what you got.

Good stuff Jene! What's the rim size in the rear? And the tire?

I'm just starting a '74 CB200 tracker myself. I'll be watching this one. :)

Hey Ringo,

so happen to know the wheels are both 17" - tire dunno.

interceptor said:
I think the bare tank with stock emblems and the rubber center strip would look killer. IMHO, I learned the more time you dick around with trying to improve and improvise, the more time your wasting. Work with what you got.

+1
Been dicking around with cleanup and paint and sand and polish for almost a month now just to have all the paint destroyed by using the wrong kind of clear (Epoxy vs laquer). A month wasted and all I have is a tore down bike.

Hey guys,

it's been a while, so time for a big update on my project :)

I've been working on the fueltank again, but still not sure what to do with it. I agree on the fact that you should not mess too much with things that are allready good (honda-logos etc) but i'm hoping to come up with the perfect idea. I'll come back to that later, maybe it will all come together when i got the frame powdercoated and the engine in place.

I also changed my mind on the colour of the frame. It's gonna be white now, a really light almost white shade of grey. I feel it leaves me more possibilities to experiment with all the other colours on the tank and details :)

Started on the seat as well. Took some big tools (breadknife ;) ) and started shaping. Because i do not want to change the base plate i was a little bit limited in my options. For example, i might wanted to make it a bit more flat but that would mean i'd cut too much foam away to be comfortable.

Pictures:
Schermafbeelding2012-01-15om202039.png

Sandblasted and waiting for a final plan

Schermafbeelding2012-01-15om202056.png

Naked seat in the original shape

Schermafbeelding2012-01-15om202130.png

Shaping it using an old rim tape

Schermafbeelding2012-01-15om202205.png

getting there

Schermafbeelding2012-01-15om204036.png

quick photoshop of the white frame...

I'm not sure if i make it even shorter. If it is possible i want enough space for two people so i can take my sister for a ride. I also think that making it shorter and smaller will result in an too tiny looking machine. After all, it's only a 200. But seeing the lovely deus-builds, it makes me wonder if i should make it smaller after all? Any opinions would be welcome :)

Last question:
Schermafbeelding2012-01-15om202324.png

In this picture you can see a gap between the base plate/seat and the frame. How can i fill this? We're planning on chopping the frame after the rear shocks and create a hoop, but it would be nice if it followed the lines of the seat.

Thats all for now, love to hear your ideas ^^

Looking great! One more wheel question, what's the rim width? And the tire width/profile?

Hey Ringo, wheels are from aDerbi Senda SM moped, tyre sizes are:
Front tyre size 100/70 x 17
Rear tyre size 130/70 x 17

hope it's enough info?

Schermafbeelding2012-01-23om122459.png

Bert stumbled upon this cl175 exhaust yesterday. <3
Have been searching for this a long time, but they are very expensive most of the time. (Specially when shipping to the Netherlands...You don't see them a lot on our local online ebay-thingy.) Won it on ebay for about 100 euros (shipping included).

Very happy girl now ;D

Back to the engine. Since the mechanical disc brake is not known for its tremendous stopping power i decided to install a new hydraulic caliper. Because i want my bars symmetrical, hydraulic clutch is a must ;)
Lots of work for the BF ;)
Right engine cover milled flat to accomodate clutchslave-adapterplate. (still prototype made of wood for now) We're gonna use the original push rod.

Schermafbeelding2012-01-24om151610.png

These engines are known for cam housing issues so we decided to reroute the oilpassage externally. We also decided to install a needle bearing on the points side for this being the side with the least oil and the biggest chance to die.
Bert used the lathe to undo the conic shape on the camhousing so it would fit in the lathe jaws. After that used the lathe again to make the camhole 26 mm in diameter and 14 mm deep. That way the original bearing in the camhousing wasn't completely taken out so the camshaft stays aligned and the bearing has a boss. Needle bearing was then pressed in. Man he is so smart ;)

23012012657.jpg

23012012660.jpg

Schermafbeelding2012-01-24om151509.png

Schermafbeelding2012-01-24om151409.png

Schermafbeelding2012-01-24om151420.png

Schermafbeelding2012-01-24om151641.png

Schermafbeelding2012-01-24om151435.png

We also made a template for the CNC mill to cover up the cam housing. Maybe we're not the sharpest tools in the shed, but with a lot of patience and luck i managed to make a scan to finish in Illustrator. I guess we missed a simple solution, cause first we tried to make a mold with marzipan :p After that stupid plan oldfashioned paper and scissors seemed the best option.

Schermafbeelding2012-01-24om151551.png

Schermafbeelding2012-01-24om151528.png

Thats all for now!
Bye!

Back
Top Bottom