1976 Honda XL175

One would think before spending on paint and bling you should make er sing? Fast and loud is way cooler than pretty and dead. roo num one gasshopper... make it run first!

Tune-A-Fish said:
One would think before spending on paint and bling you should make er sing? Fast and loud is way cooler than pretty and dead. roo num one gasshopper... make it run first!

Already runs! earlier in the thread theres a link to her first start in years, i knew to tick that box after being on this forum

catsy said:
Already runs! earlier in the thread theres a link to her first start in years, i knew to tick that box after being on this forum

to be fair i have made it run but i havent rode it yet. Its got buckled front rim, and rusty tank, so i know it starts and shifts gears, but i thought with the work i had to do to ride it i may aswell do some painting and cleaning.

Coming along nice mate. What xb said about the cardboard oven works well. I used a cardboard box lined w/ aluminum foil and pointed a heat gun through a hole in the side. Got quite hot, over 350 degrees and that was with a cheap $20 heat gun.

I might look for one of these for a next project ;D ;D

adventurco said:
Coming along nice mate. What xb said about the cardboard oven works well. I used a cardboard box lined w/ aluminum foil and pointed a heat gun through a hole in the side. Got quite hot, over 350 degrees and that was with a cheap $20 heat gun.

I might look for one of these for a next project ;D ;D

Don't do that in the house man :eek:

Tune-A-Fish said:
Don't do that in the house man :eek:

Heh. I did it in my workshop but kept an eye on it. Just be careful the heat gun doesn't contact the cardboard and you should be good to go

adventurco said:
Heh. I did it in my workshop but kept an eye on it. Just be careful the heat gun doesn't contact the cardboard and you should be good to go

picked up a cheap and cheerful little fan heater.
finish exams this week then hoping to get the engine in the frame this weekend.
ill make a set up in the shed and let it cook!

Good news! won this bottom end on ebay with a good kickstarter shaft for 50$
shipping from melbourne to syd only $30
$80 bucks in total and can salvage its good RHS sidecover for my bad one then sell of some bits.
$_57.JPG

Nice score! save the shift drum and fork... hell just shelf the parts unless you need the refund :eek:

What year is that bottom end out of? 76 and later had the better gear ratio and 42 teeth sprockets. Case and covers were unchanged, though.

deviant said:
What year is that bottom end out of? 76 and later had the better gear ratio and 42 teeth sprockets. Case and covers were unchanged, though.

its a 75' i believe, already got the 76 engine though.

In bad news i got the spare bottom end ripped it open and found the reason why the engine had seized in the first place had been, none other then, a faulty kickstarter.
the shaft is i good condition, however the arm midway down that holds the return spring has cracked off and the cog where it is secured in the gearbox is chipped. i can replace the cog even with the one in my current engine however the small arm im not so sure off. do you think its salvagable with some welding?
10422259_10153100065544585_7822692077904667871_n.jpg

19009_10153100065569585_7248683848837970363_n.jpg

1891199_10153100065719585_7032840553944413202_n.jpg

Brazing might be the better option. You could also use just the end of the shaft, welding it onto your other one. There's a fix guys do with a Kawasaki shaft end welded onto the XL gear. Not totally sure of the specifics, but when I was searching my own fix it was something I was told about. This wouldn't be any different from that. Main thing is, you want to make sure the shaft is clean at the seal. A machinist could machine the weld clean.

What is the condition of your original parts... Just cut off the shaft you need and do the same on yours if that's all you really need... grind a 50 percent bevel in the two shaft ends and weld it together, It's not a crank or cam and only goes half way round at a time. If you have a lathe you can get time on or beg lol... even better :eek:

yeah well the original kicker isnt even fully gone yet, so i know itll be okay if i were to make one good out of two.
with my welding ability i feel like id rather it be holding the springs weight in place rather the whole force of a kick.
however, and older mate of mine is great at welding AND owns a lathe, so it could be worth asking him if i decide to chop the good end of shaft off and mate it with the old.

also that RHS side cover i was hoping to salvage is completely stuffed, worse then mine.
but the upside is i have a motor to tear into and get familiar with before i tear down the runner.

Just a thought... Does the kicker spline match the brake spline :eek: I bet those are a dime a dozen and in perfect nutter butter condition ever wheerrr :eek: :eek:

Haah! 30 seconds and BAM! $5.50 BIN: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3191-Honda-XL175-XL-175-Rear-Brake-Pivot-Shaft-/130940806520?hash=item1e7cae2578&vxp=mtr

Back
Top Bottom