1981 Honda H100A Tracker!

FatwhaleCafe

My name is Liam I'm from Australia and I'm 16 years old, i've been watching this site for a while and I've always been interested in bikes, so after about a year of watching builds etc i decided i just can't wait any longer, i looked around online and finally found this old Honda, one thing i realised when i was looking, that the price difference between Australian Honda CB's etc is massive compared to in america where i see them running but in bad condition for $500+/- here with a seized motor etc rusted to guts there like $1k... So having never driven a CAR let alone a bike, i decided not to spend that much and bought this Honda. Its Got a good base i believe for a small Tracker bike, The only issue i have realised is certain parts are hard to come by. It's a 2 stroke, 98cc ( i believe ) and can reach top speeds of 105 km/h. Which i think in conversion is about 62mph. It runs, The seller drove it down my quiet street and reached roughly 80-90 on it no problem and its in what i believe good working order, it idles fine and sounds fine. But i can't ride it as i don't even have my licence. Its mainly got a lot of surface rust. Here she is;

http://imgur.com/D5vVUmk

(not quiet sure how to post an image on mac so i have to link a website where i uploaded it).

she's stripped completely and the engine is out and this is how i'm going to attempt to make the seat;

http://deuscustoms.com/blog/inari-cb100-honda/

The idea is, because I'm 16, I'm on my L's ( Learners for bike ) My hope is, i can work on this for a year until I'm 17, which then ill be able to ride around by myself on it. Hopefully everything turns out OK and the bike turns out to be great and done by my 17th.

thats it for today more in the next week and so forth, but quick question, I took the engine casing off, and a shit tonne. I mean a shit tonne of Engine Oil came out. Is this alright? Im really this noobish and i hope to learn a lot along the way. Hey, we all gotta start somewhere.

I'm in Western Australia. No pics as of yet as I'm currently busy with study but getting wheelset powder coated and making seat within the week

Sweet, Im a member of Brisbane cafe racers (and sydney for that matter). Check out Perth Cafe racers on fbook, sure to be a good crew of local peeps there to lend you any info or build help. pj

Welcome mate. Sounds like a good little project.

Just so you know. It is a 2 stroke. So the only oil inside the casing should be for the clutch. Which from looking at pictures is the right side of the bike.

You should check if it is a pre-mix or self mix. If it is a self mix make sure that the pump is clean and working correctly. If it is a pre-mix well just make sure you know the ratio.

Sorry for the basics. Not sure of your skill set yet and I would hate to see you dealing with a seized engine.

Cheers brodie. Yeh i know its a 2 stroke and you're correct it was for the clutch. I'm pretty sure its pre-mix but will check inside the manual i have before i put any oil etc back in after its rebuilt.

I took the top end off today, revealing the piston.. The rings appear to be in great shape and everything crystal clean and nice. Besides one part, on the left side behind the piston the arm on the left has a shit tonne of dirt.. maybe even pitting or rust... Hopefully not and its just dirt when i get further in and can clean it right off. *crosses fingers** though, upon opening, it really shows how simple the engine is and it shouldn't be a problem. The only problem is parts. I have access to a 3D printer for free too if need be.. Ill post picture later if i can figure out how too but thats it for now.

(sorry about the slow updates...studying for final year exams which is extremely nerve racking + needs my attention a bit more haha)

More progress...

I have taken the engine completely apart, the engine casings are going for a sandblast and powder coat this coming week and the frame is going to be done sometime in the 2 weeks.... BUT theres one issue, when i was trying to take the Triple Tree off i couldn't get this off I've outlined it in the picture .. http://prntscr.com/7b10y9 It looks to be just a bolt but in a circle and 4 grooves parallel to each other on each side.. Is this common and is there a universal tool? I've tried using things i have around the shop but no luck..

Cheers.

Yep, standard steering neck nut. Not sure if there is a tool. I always use penetrating oil and a pair of vice grips (not to tight)

Cheers mate. I have tried using a pair of vice grips no luck. I'll try penetrating oil but I have a feeling even that won't help. It looks to be rusted in there possibly as the other threads on the bolt are. Hopefully not though

Get a small punch and give it some light taps all around the thread. Should help to break the rust up and let the oil soak in. If you are feeling game then measure the gap and stick two bolts through a large peice of wood to use as a spanner.

Back
Top Bottom