Yamaha R5 Oil Pump vs Premix

SullivanCB200

Been Around the Block
Getting to the oil pump part of my project R5 and have been reading up on some horror stories with oil pump failures. The motor is extremely low miles and feels every bit of it. The oil pump works, BUT should I just eliminate the possibility of the oil pump failure and run premix all the time? I guess I'm wanting to hear from the slightly more seasoned fellows who deal with these bikes. 2 stroke world is new to me and so is oil injection. Oh, and this isn't going to be a cross country traveler, more of Friday night city bike commuter so running out of premixed gas should not be an issue.

Thanks,
Andy

You have to ask yourself what on the pump can break or fail? It should always be spinning since it is directly driven by the crankshaft so that shouldn't be a problem. The o-rings in it should always be oiled so they shouldn't dry out. You should run clean oil so trash shouldn't clog it up.
If you take care of the system it really shouldn't fail. There probably is more room for failure due to human error or just never inspecting the system. Check injection lines for leaks or cracks in the rubber, make sure there is no trash or rust in the oil tank and I would assume that if you let the tank run dry and get air in the lines that it will not pump until it is primed again. Maybe you can replace the black injection lines with clear one so that you can see it all flowing.

I've asked this question too and it sounds like even cautious folks who choose to run premix on the street eventually go back or at least acknowledge that it's a pain. I mulled the options and have elected to continue using the pump on my RD350, with clear lines as suggested above. With all the parts you'd need widely available, it's too user-friendly to ditch - if you keep an eye on it, it shouldn't fail you.

Never seen an oil pump fail!

As VonYinzer says, pre-mix is good for the track only.
On bikes built before the oil pump, you're stuck with having too much oil when you don't need it and not enough when you do.

Crazy

Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses and that's really good news to hear. Like I said it runs super strong. I'm just investing a lot into it and didn't want to jeopardize the bike by ignoring something. Guys at the local swap meet are the ones who put this fear in me but they are part of the Harley crowd so... Guess I should have known to take it with a larger grain of salt.

Thanks again,
Andy

Yeah man, as stated... It's a simple mechanical pump. Keep it in proper shape and it should give reliable service for as long as you need.

Back
Top Bottom